Moving IPS4 from One Folder to Another

JayX

After a pretty long battle, I've got my content into IPS4 in a subfolder off my domain, and once all the background processes are complete and I've done some more testing and playing about, I think I'm ready to commit to it for my community. However, earlier I tried to do something similar and it caused all kinds of chaos, so it sounds best to check here first.

I know that there's a line for the site location in the config.php file which I can edit easily enough, but I'm guessing there's some more location based elements I need to change either in files or in the SQL for it to work. Can anyone provide a quick list of what needs to be changed, where and when (i.e. before or after file move) so I can move from domain.com/ips_83a59 to domain.com in as painless a way as possible? Thanks!

Do you mean links in posts from previous? The place I'm moving the board to is back to its original location... I've tested a few URLs that have been pasted and added the extra subfolder and the friendly URL thing works fine so I'm not worried about that.

If you mean the internal site workings, then that's essentially what I'm asking about here. Are there various places I need to tell the software that its location on the server is public_html/ and not public_html/ips_83a59 anymore.

I managed to resolve this, I didn't make complete notes as I was using trial and error combined with backups as I went along, but there's a few things that you need to change if this happens to you:

* Board Location in the conf_global.php

* settings.????????.ipstore in /datastore/ has two entries 

* ACP : Files > Storage Settings needs to be told to rebuild the uploads/attachments etc in the correct place

* ACP : Settings > Advanced Configuration > Datastore needs to be updated to point to the correct place

I'm pretty sure it was this combination of 4 things that worked for me. Back up fully before trying though, just in case I've missed or misremembered an element.

Thanks, @JayX

Let me compile a todo list:

In IPS 3, it suffices to do two things:

1) Rename the folder, for example from /forumtest to /forum;

2) Accordingly change the paths in conf_global.php.

In IPS 4, additional steps are required:

3) Accordingly change the paths in /datastore/settings.xxxxxxxxxx.ipstore (mine has 7 entries to be changed);

4) ACP : Files > Storage Settings needs to be told to rebuild the uploads/attachments etc in the correct place

5) ACP : Settings > Advanced Configuration > Datastore needs to be updated to point to the correct place

I think that a full rebuild process is also required since things like profile and attachment thumbnails are linked to the old paths (unfortunately there's no option to do that, if I understand well from this topic). Besides, there might be more files that need to be changed in addition to /datastore/settings.xxxxxxxxxx.ipstore (an exhaustive search in the files of the installation directory might help). 

I submitted a ticket, and according to the reply that I have got, it does not seem to be a simple process (staff are still working on my request).

Update:

Replace the above step 3 by the following.

3) Search and Replace all instances of "forumtest" by "forum" for all files in the directory forum/datastore (I guess the two most important files are settings.xxxxxxxxxx.ipstore and storageConfigurations.xxxxxxxxxx.ipsstore), and in forum/sitemap.xml.

I guess that the steps 4) and 5) above, suggested by JayX, are not necessary if this step 3) are done correctly.

• 4 years later...

I'd like to use Wordpress as my landing page and IPS for the forums. I currently have IPS for everything and the installation is in the root folder. So I'd like to move IPS to a subfolder and have Wordpress in the root folder.

I tried that but I've had some issues so I've reverted back. When I moved the installation to a subfolder, I changed this: 

'board_url' => 'https://webpageurl.com/',
To:
'board_url' => 'https://webpageurl.com/subfolder',

When I land on https://webpageurl.com/ the Wordpress site loads and everything works fine. I then open my IPS site at https://webpageurl.com/subfolder and everything works (well, it bugs me that the licence is not valid...) at first. But then everything I click on - for example Forums at https://webpageurl.com/subfolder/forums it redirects me back to Wordpress.

What should I be doing differently? Any help is greatly appreciated since I'm really not knowledgable in these types of things...

6 hours ago, B_U_R_I said:

But then everything I click on - for example Forums at https://webpageurl.com/subfolder/forums it redirects me back to Wordpress.

What should I be doing differently? Any help is greatly appreciated since I'm really not knowledgable in these types of things...

After moving your community to the new folder and updating the location in the config file, try going to AdminCP -> Dashboard -> Site Promotion -> Search Engine Optimization and the Rewrite URLs option is probably toggled ON. There is a link to download an .htaccess file and upload it to your IPS directory. Do it, because your directory changed.

Thanks, this has fixed the issue i've had!

I have a problem with changing paths in  settings.xxxxxxxxxx.ipstore and storageConfigurations.xxxxxxxxxx.ipsstore ... I can't find any paths here since everything was in the root folder before an don't know where to add the subfolder.

I did manage to edit the sitemap.xml

14 hours ago, B_U_R_I said:

Thanks, this has fixed the issue i've had!

I have a problem with changing paths in  settings.xxxxxxxxxx.ipstore and storageConfigurations.xxxxxxxxxx.ipsstore ... I can't find any paths here since everything was in the root folder before an don't know where to add the subfolder.

I did manage to edit the sitemap.xml

I'm having trouble understanding that. Is that in IPS Commerce? I have the complete IPS software suit except for Commerce.

But 2 things did come to mind, check these....

1) AdminCP -> Dashboard -> Advanced Configuration -> Data Storage and check the "Directory" IF you are using the file system for your storage method. It should look something like "/home/username/public_html/YourIPSdirectory/datastore"

2) AdminCP -> Dashboard -> Advanced Configuration -> Server Environment and check the "Template disk cache path". It should look something like "/home/username/public_html/YourIPSdirectory/uploads"

These steps were mentioned in the previous posts:

On 3/9/2015 at 3:56 AM, ehku said:

Update:

Replace the above step 3 by the following.

3) Search and Replace all instances of "forumtest" by "forum" for all files in the directory forum/datastore (I guess the two most important files are settings.xxxxxxxxxx.ipstore and storageConfigurations.xxxxxxxxxx.ipsstore), and in forum/sitemap.xml.

I guess that the steps 4) and 5) above, suggested by JayX, are not necessary if this step 3) are done correctly.

On 3/9/2015 at 12:55 AM, ehku said:

In IPS 3, it suffices to do two things:

1) Rename the folder, for example from /forumtest to /forum;

2) Accordingly change the paths in conf_global.php.

In IPS 4, additional steps are required:

3) Accordingly change the paths in /datastore/settings.xxxxxxxxxx.ipstore (mine has 7 entries to be changed);

4) ACP : Files > Storage Settings needs to be told to rebuild the uploads/attachments etc in the correct place

5) ACP : Settings > Advanced Configuration > Datastore needs to be updated to point to the correct place

While I could find these files I don't know what to change. Is that even necessary anymore? The posts are from 2015 afterall...

The problem I have is that some of my image URL got updated and point to the right folder structure (all images in /uploads folder) while other don't display (for example all of the images in the Downloads app and all of my advertisement banners...)

15 hours ago, Robert Angle said:

1) AdminCP -> Dashboard -> Advanced Configuration -> Data Storage and check the "Directory" IF you are using the file system for your storage method. It should look something like "/home/username/public_html/YourIPSdirectory/datastore"

2) AdminCP -> Dashboard -> Advanced Configuration -> Server Environment and check the "Template disk cache path". It should look something like "/home/username/public_html/YourIPSdirectory/uploads"

Everything seems ok here ....

Archived