What about the "new IPB focus" ?

action-reaction

Hello,

On this entry, I read that :

IPS Community Suite 4.0 took at lot longer than we thought it would as we changed the focus of the Suite and were forced to extend our workload and therefore timeline.

What about this "new focus", please ?

NB : I can't add a link. When i click on "insert into post", nothing happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Put simply: we are focusing on a true community suite of products rather than having everything revolve only around the forums.

Honesty I'm finding it very heavy feeling and cluttered, and wish you hadn't changed focus. Simple things like it searching "All Content" instead of searching Topics by default when in the Forum. Why can't it default to the area you are in like before? Why does it default to Relevancy, not Date anymore? I'm getting "relevant" (not) topics from 2005, etc. Why doesn't the left pane in My Activity save the area you last filtered? I want it to be Topics. You removed the function that saved it in the postilion you left it in, so I have to reset it every time. Little stuff like that is really irking me.

You took the focus away from the forums but you also left it impossible for us to focus on it if we wanted. These settings could be in ACP.

Defaulting to the app you were in is actually a really bad user experience.

My community has IP.Content set as it's default but my members nearly always want to search for or view new content from the forum. The fact the current software defaults to the app you are in results in blank search results pages and several unnecessary 'clicks' of the mouse to actually search the forum.

The new method is much better from a user experience point of view, though I would not say the functionality is perfect yet.

In your case I can see that, but I use Forums as my homepage, and people like to enter and search, not select Topics first. It's way down the list too. And some users won't even know to do this. They will not be looking for images or files, etc.

Could be an ACP setting to make everyone happy. 

The Relevancy default is even more troubling. Not sure how it is deciding what is relevant but I'm just getting old, irrelevant results. Once again, we should be able to choose the default. Date is what I need. Like in 3.4.

I was looking for the topic on the mobile skin fix, and it brought up a bunch of stuff from years ago. When I switched Relevancy to Date it was first. Why can't it default to that again?

This is going to cause a LOT of old topics being bumped on forums.

Hello,

On this entry, I read that :

What about this "new focus", please ?

NB : I can't add a link. When i click on "insert into post", nothing happens.

Integrated suite vs focus on the forum.   Not sure what else that could mean. 

I don't think that means the forum focused people should be worried, if anything it secures the forum for the future by making the suite more broadly relevant. 

So for someone like me who don't use the forum but only IP.content, that would be a good new, yes ?
It means that I can expect some nice improvements in IP.content, yes ? Which one, for instance ?

​I've been setting up a site where Pages is the main focus - the forums app is actually disabled entirely.

Archived