IPS4 Feature Plan

NewRockRabbit

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​You define for each field IF and HOW the content should appear in both the list view and in the record view.

​So to add a preview image on the left of each listing: http://xeraingaming.com/articles.html/mod-videos/

I would edit the Teaser Paragaraph Field?

TBH I need to probably start from scratch with Categories, Databases & articles. When we converted from VBulletin everything was messed up & all over the place. Will probably delete all Articles & categories and start from scratch eventually.

So with a pages.database you could set up inputs and have members fill it out then publish to the front page? (just thinking of a use case)

Yes. 

Could I have special/ custom input's ? What if I wanted to create a DMCA take down notice that users could fill out to report copyright stuff on my site?

​Sure.  You can collect and publish any kind data that fits in any of these field types:

Screen_Shot_2015-03-05_at_20.08.32.thumb 

Yes. 

​Sure.  You can collect and publish any kind data that fits in any of these field types:

Screen_Shot_2015-03-05_at_20.08.32.thumb 

​Oooh nice there is actually a YouTube field, so if you input a Youtube URL it auto embeds it in the article?

​Oooh nice there is actually a YouTube field, so if you input a Youtube URL it auto embeds it in the article?

​Yes. 

However, for my own video database I don’t use that field, but instead let the user just post the video URL in in the main text field – just like here in the forums. This works for other video sources as well (Vimeo, TED) and it automatically uses the full width in the main template. 

Physical Products Marketplace
With Commerce you will be able to allow your members to sell physical products through your site

THIS is awesome!

Copy a Forum Post to Pages Article
Move interesting posts into an item in your Pages database/article system.

Coming Soon? Promote To Article already exists. Confused.

Community Moderation
Crowd source your moderation to allow your users to help you control problem posters automatically.

Cool!

​Yes. 

However, for my own video database I don’t use that field, but instead let the user just post the video URL in in the main text field – just like here in the forums. This works for other video sources as well (Vimeo, TED) and it automatically uses the full width in the main template. 

​Oh wow. That video Database page is nice man. Was it easy to do?

Are the photo previews automatically grabbed from the video. Or did you add them to a field manually. It looks really nice, I might try and replicate something similar for our youtube videos.

Are the photo previews automatically grabbed from the video. Or did you add them to a field manually. It looks really nice, I might try and replicate something similar for our youtube videos.

The images come from an image upload field the user has to use when submitting a video. 

The images come from an image upload field the user has to use when submitting a video. 

​Yes, really nice work with that. It's clean, big and very user friendly. I like it!

Right now on my site I have a forum Board where people start threads about each video they find and link video in post. Your system is obviously way better. I wonder how the scalability is though. I would have 1000+ videos loaded in the first few months.

​Yes. 

That looks great.  I have jt started to play with pages yet, how easy is it to make the collapsing columns?

That looks great.  I have jt started to play with pages yet, how easy is it to make the collapsing columns?

​I set CSS columns for the desktop width and remove it again for smaller screens. Just a few CSS lines. 

It might even be easier to use the grid view declarations which are already built into the IPS 4.0. But I haven’t explored that yet.  

With out adding any "pressure" or committing you to any "deadlines" is there any way to indicate a fair estimate in a manner of time to release any given item no absolute dates but a way to understand the rank in terms of the calendar.

Next Up = imminent with in the next 60 days (from time of posting)

Coming Soon = with in the next 90* days at the next version rev

Planning Stage = sometime later this year.

Also when a feature has becomes mature enough will there be a way to provide a reciprocal link to a discussion topic so to allow for community feedback and discussion on a particular feature.

• Management

The statuses are not really based on time but more based on order of events. You will be able to estimate time once 4.0.0 is in final and how fast we proceed from there. I don't really want to quote timelines :) 

Fair enough :)

We will stick with: "Is it done?" & "When it ready™!"  banter.

​LOL, I love how you Trade-Marked it! If they can get away with it more power to them. I work with development at my job and I have to answer to VP's all the time regarding my timeline. I really struggle with this as there is no real way to know when it will be done. Development isn't like building a house where we know all the steps,  and supplies needed up front. Most of the time we have a goal but no idea of the path to the goal.

LOL So good for the IP team if they can get away with saying "When its ready". Funny thing is, it's the most true answer. Any timeline I've ever given for Dev projects has been made up BS pulled right from my rear to appease the boss.

I wish I could get away with "When it's Ready".. I would lose my job.

The statuses are not really based on time but more based on order of events. You will be able to estimate time once 4.0.0 is in final and how fast we proceed from there. I don't really want to quote timelines :) 

​Are all of the features on the feature plan intended for IPB4.1+, or might some of them end up being in 4.0.x (or even 4.0.0)? Some of the features that you've mentioned there look really cool (community moderation is a great idea if well implemented (I was certainly considering modding it in had you not put it on the road map) and content highlights will come in useful), and I'm interested as to whether we will be waiting months or years for some of them?

​Someone needs to try it! :-)I haven’t done any testing with thousands of entries in a Pages database. 

​We have 3+ million records across 11 Pages IPS4 databases. Speed is not quite where we will want to be as a stock RC4. The main delay is for the initial db page load. Switching between pages of the db is slightly faster.  Haven't had the chance to work on any speed improvements yet though.

​We have 3+ million records across 11 Pages IPS4 databases. Speed is not quite where we will want to be as a stock RC4. The main delay is for the initial db page load. Switching between pages of the db is slightly faster.  Haven't had the chance to work on any speed improvements yet though.

​Did you had those databases running on 3.4 before? Is it now faster?
The database listing view in 3.4 wasn’t that fast. 

Archived