Account Registration - News Checkbox

Greenman

Currently in IP.3 and I believe IP.4 too, the checkbox for 'Send me news and information' is checked by default. There is no way to change this in admin.

Campaign Monitor and almost all other email providers do not allow this as a way to subscribe to a list and it very much goes against best practise as well as email legislation in some countries I believe.

I think it would be sensible to provide an option in admin to check/uncheck, or simply have it 'unchecked' as default.

Currently, it's not ideal.

Cheers, Si

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone knows how and where to set the newsletter/bulk mail checkbox on the community registration screen to false. Default is true and this is prohibited by law.

It's important to have this setting changed.

I haven't found it so far. Please help. Thanks.

Sorry, I have to bump this as this is critical for legally using bulk email in lots of countrys.

It's essential to have the checkbox unchecked by default and IPS support has not been willing to help so far.

Anyone please give an advice.

• 1 year later...
On 5/31/2016 at 6:07 PM, Colonel_mortis said:

Once it's approved, I've made a simple plugin which will uncheck it by default.

Could anyone assist in letting me know how to Uncheck this by default in an IPS 3 board I still have running please? (Yes I know but it's a long story).

Edit the registerForm template (under Registration Screen) in your theme.

Locate:

<input type="checkbox" name="allow_admin_mail" id="allow_admin_mail" value="1" class="input_check" <if test="defaultAAE:|:$this->request['allow_admin_mail'] || !isset( $this->request['allow_admin_mail'] )">checked='checked'</if> tabindex='0' />

and change it to:

<input type="checkbox" name="allow_admin_mail" id="allow_admin_mail" value="1" class="input_check" <if test="defaultAAE:|:$this->request['allow_admin_mail'] || !isset( $this->request['allow_admin_mail'] )"></if> tabindex='0' />

(basically, just removed the checked='checked' of the input)

1 hour ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Edit the registerForm template (under Registration Screen) in your theme.

Locate:

<input type="checkbox" name="allow_admin_mail" id="allow_admin_mail" value="1" class="input_check" <if test="defaultAAE:|:$this->request['allow_admin_mail'] || !isset( $this->request['allow_admin_mail'] )">checked='checked'</if> tabindex='0' />

and change it to:

<input type="checkbox" name="allow_admin_mail" id="allow_admin_mail" value="1" class="input_check" <if test="defaultAAE:|:$this->request['allow_admin_mail'] || !isset( $this->request['allow_admin_mail'] )"></if> tabindex='0' />

(basically, just removed the checked='checked' of the input)

Thank you very much indeed; it may be an exaggeration to say I'll love you forever but you've saved me a load of hours before GDPR-day! Really appreciated as I'd spent hours hunting for it.

Archived