On the performance of IPS 4.0 vs 3.x

ehku

I upgraded my site today from 3.4.7 to 4.0 RC3 and my first impression is that the site became slower, and the difference is really noticeable.  

How well is your site running after the upgrade, compared to the previous version? Please share your experience!

I'm having a weird issue where my site is noticeably slow when logged in (but very, very fast as a guest) which IPS are currently working on via at ticket. Anybody else experience that?

​Same problem for me!  I didn't notice the difference between a guess and a logged in account.

​Same problem for me!  I didn't notice the difference between a guess and a logged in account.

​So glad to hear that - not that you're having a problem - but that I'm not the only one :) 

Could you please submit a support ticket with your access details so that IPS can test your forum too? I will also update my support ticket with a link to this topic and if anybody else experiencing the same issue - please post too!

Slow for me as well, also have a ticket in. Mainly on mobiles and tablets, large topics opening and showing no posts, pages freezing with the loading icon at the bottom. Editor not loading.

RC3 a big improvement on RC2 but still miles slower than 3.4.7.

Had members posting there own fix and they are finding it much quicker disabling JavaScript, one member is reporting 5-10% CPU usage on the tab with my forum on just sitting there with it enabled.

Not the best thing as ad revenue has took a huge hit, responsive ads haven't helped either with lower CPC, down almost 50% although I've read it does improve with time.

Kinda wish I didn't upgrade but I knew the risks, just got too excited and seeing it run fine on here I went for it. I know they will fix it soon, just need to sit it out.

Got a reply from the staff and performed a manual rebuild. Let's see if there will be a difference. 

For the performance issues, please let the currently running background tasks complete first and then re-test and let me know if you are still seeing performance issues. You can quickly complete the background tasks by clicking the "Manually run them now" link below the background tasks in your Admin CP dashboard. Those background tasks are resource-intensive so we will need them to complete before we can investigate any performance problems.

• Management

There is no difference in how the software works on mobile vs. desktop so any differences you see there is down to mobile devices just rendering the page slower. IPS4 outputs literally the exact same code be it mobile or desktop.

As for other performance things we have a list of things we plan on doing to increase the overall speed but right now we are focused on core functionality. So if you are patient with us over the next few weeks then the speed will improve noticeably :)

If you set the cache system to use mysql and memcached guest experience will be much faster.

​As I mentioned above, the issue is that viewing the site as a guest is actually incredibly fast, while it can take from 5 to 40 seconds for a page to load as a logged in user.

As for other performance things we have a list of things we plan on doing to increase the overall speed but right now we are focused on core functionality. So if you are patient with us over the next few weeks then the speed will improve noticeably :)

​FYI: The issue @ehku and I are having isn't just something that that can be "improved", there's clearly some sort of bug that affects logged in users. For example, one of the pages took 30 seconds to load. And that's just with one user online - I can't imagine how bad it's going to be when there are 2000+ people browsing.

For me, IPS4 is at least as fast as IPB 3.4

​I haven;t installed any of the Rc yet(hopefully today)

But even way back on like beta 3 or 4, I was noticing that the version 4 of the forum felt faster to me than 3.4.7 and my 3.4.7 isn't slow at all.

I am also curious what type of set up these people have for servers. it shouldn't matter I know but I am curious to say the least.

I am also curious what type of set up these people have for servers. it shouldn't matter I know but I am curious to say the least.

​Can't be anything related to server configuration because the site works incredibly fast as a guest and the slowdown only happens when you log in...

​Can't be anything related to server configuration because the site works incredibly fast as a guest and the slowdown only happens when you log in...

​Well the guest content can be cached, while the member requests perform all sorts of live queries. So your server power (e.g. during MySQL queries) will affect the result. 

​Well the guest content can be cached, while the member requests perform all sorts of live queries. So your server power (e.g. during MySQL queries) will affect the result. 

​Hm. But this is happening on a test upgrade, not a live site, and there hasn't been any new content for weeks, so there are no live queries to perform. 

​I'm having two versions of the community running in parallel, on the same server. The 4.0RC3 one is an upgrade from the backup of my live board, does not have any visitor except me, and still is very slow compared to the other. 

​Even a query which return no new results is a query. 

​Well either way, I'm running a live 3.x site on the same server and it's perfectly fast with 1000+ people online. 

Plus, there was a similar issue where topics with a lot of replies would load very slowly for moderators and admins (some took a whole minute to open) and that issue was confirmed and fixed via my ticket for RC2 (or RC3). So there's a good chance that the new issue I'm talking about is related to that one (or it's the same bug, just not fully fixed).

There are two separate issues here. One is a client side javascript resources issue introduced in rc3 which is now fixed and was caused by preloading the animated spinner icon offscreen which some browsers were having difficulty with. This would explain why some were seeing slower loading on mobile devices where cpu processing is more limited.

The other is a server-side issue being seen by Kirill that we are still investigating via a ticket.

​Andy, are you sure that is a server-side issue? @ehku is having the same problem.

Not yet but that is what the indications are. ​By server-side I mean before the content is delivered to the browser. This could be a code-level error or a MySQL error or something particular with how your server is configured. We will continue to investigate regardless.

Archived