Administraion of IPS 4 RC2

Valvaris

Hi all,

ive been testing out IPS 4 and have to let go of my 2Cents...

I just feel disapointed! Why is easy to explain?

- I feel that most of the great options of IPS 3.4.7 are just gone!

- Things that made me love IP.Content just got blown away by Pages

- Allot of Time spent for nothing -> Im not a 1A Script Guru and spent allot of time researching on how to work with IPS 3.4.7 now with IPS 4 i have to start all over!

- To be honest I just feel lost / for my standing it is not an improvement its a setback

Ill rather change to a complete new system then supporting Invision Power at this point of progress. Since things that made this Product great are simply gone I cant costumize as I want and i loved that on Invision. Now its like a Car and need to pay for every extra... and get a dev. for every little thing you want!

If in some point im wrong then please highlight me - Im not all knowing and like to aducated and proven wrong. Right now i simply have a narrow view of IPS 4.

Best regards

Eli. of www.blue-vengeance.de

Well, to make the product better it needed to be re-coded from the scratch (improving everything with new programming techniques).

Not sure what you mean that you need a dev for every little thing, give us an example? I fins that pages is easier to use than ip.content and is more user-friendly (for those without programming knowledge)

- Allot of Time spent for nothing -> Im not a 1A Script Guru and spent allot of time researching on how to work with IPS 3.4.7 now with IPS 4 i have to start all over!

​Think will find everyone is in same boat learning the new code in IPS 4

Was similar problem when went from 2.x.x to 3.x.x (had to learn again)

Likely same will happen when goes from 4.x.x to 5.x.x

All can say is try and persevere and hopefully be easier as time goes on

I know if feels simplefied but dang all the costum block are just not working anymore. Ill have to start from scratch!!!

I dont have a huge budget to stick it all in to a dev. I already have to pay for upgradeing a few Hooks or Apps or Plugins that are essential!

Other Devs. have a upgrade policy to IPS 4 i understand that but others dont or things are very costum... For me they are lost...

My wife and I have a seventeen year old high school senior. We also have a 4 year old in preschool. They are two different children from two different era's.

But one day soon, that preschooler will be a senior in high school also. In the meantime however, what would I look like walking around and complaining that our 4 year old hasn't learned his algebra yet?

If you're comfortable with 3.x and have an established site on 3.x, nobody is forcing you to upgrade or pay anything.

​This.

I feel like people feel they HAVE to upgrade to 4.0 when it comes out immediately. I'd spend that time learning the new software and teaching myself before upgrading. Your forum is likely fine on 3.X now and it will be fine until you are ready to switch.

I am bit confused about why you'd want to switch to another company/product when that means you'll have to learn how THEY do their product.. . @Valvaris

Sure im not forced to upgrade to IPS 4

But to be honest I dont want to stick money in to a Produkt and Addons anymore! I have to see what is more convinient for me and the clan.

Invision is just faar to expensive... For the stuff that i get and i loose on IPS 4.

The other part is getting a Dev. to create something for you or a feature that you are looking for. I wanted to pay top dollar for that time invested but were there is no interrest then it does not suite me. Ill have to find solutions not create boundrys...

To what company I switch too i dont want to say since this is not fair to this community.

Ill just say it was fun while it lasted... ;) and wish you guyz the best :D

You do realise that it is extremely likely that any add ons you have purchased here will most likely be upgraded for 4.0

It's also very likely that another software will not have them as standard and requiring these to be purchased (for a 2nd time) and if they don't exist you'll need to request and pay for a modification. You'll also likely need to recreate the theme you have now (which you'll need to do for 4.0). It just seems to be a strange opinion to form and based on a product that hasn't officially been released yet, plus add ons will need upgraded for official release.

Cost wise, you'll actually find that IPS is on par with other software companies around, OK some of them don't charge renewal every 6 months but the cost over 12 months for the core product is roughly the same. Level that with the service levels from IPS and it's a more worthy purchase v's other products IMHO.

Is "expensive" only defined by the money you spent ? What about the time spent converting, getting used to the new product and the user experience change ?

From my point of view, sticking with the current version, learning the bits of 4.0 on a test site and even developing it there would be much less expensive..

To what company I switch too i dont want to say since this is not fair to this community.

Ill just say it was fun while it lasted... ;) and wish you guyz the best :D

​That's an easy one: https://community.woltlab.com/thread/236047-invisio-power-nutzer-m%C3%B6chte-gerne-zu-woltlab/

In my eyes, that's a big step backwards for your community and users - But it's your thing... Good luck... And don't Forget: You will have to pay for every pointrelease :) (of course, you don't HAVE to, but you will also not HAVE TO Keep your licenses active @IPS, if you don't want the new versions)

Hi @TheSonic,

thank you for pointing out the thing with Woltlab i just find it fair not to announce this out here in the Invision Power Community since it does not belong here at the Community.

On my part you are just a J-E-R-K and keep your translations im happy not to support such decadend Community like yours at - www.ips-community.de

Ive been a Woltlab Costumer for many many Years and i have to tell you... that is not true. (Version Upgrade Kost)

In terms of Addons i dont need to pay so much as everyone thinks i have to, allot of things are Free and a few of them dont cost a fortune like here or have renewal every 6 Months and so on... But this is not the issue!

Ive pointed out that things that i like and love allot are just missing in IPS 4 and for starting from scratch and learning everything anew - I dont have the time for it!!!

Archived