Is there a way to make avatars bigger?

Ellion Brek

ACP - Members - Groups - Social - Maximum profile photo image size

​This won't make the avatars bigger in the topics display. It only changes the maximum dimensions of the image file itself, however, CSS in the topics display limits the size of the photo.

For instance, the default value for the setting you mentioned is 150x150, however avatars are only 90x90 in posts :)

ACP > Customisation > Theme > Edit HTML and CSS

Search for ".ipsUserPhoto_large img, img.ipsUserPhoto_large, .ipsUserPhoto_large:after"

Open the file and find that line of text. Change the width and height, and the border-radius as desired :)

​Thanks! I found it on:

ACP > Customisation > Theme > Edit HTML and CSS > CSS > misc.css

The default value is 90x90 (radius 45). I tried 180x180 (radius 90) and it was a nice size, but the images seems stretched (even the original size of avatars before the 4.0 upgrade was 290x300px). Didnt like, so i choose the default value. Maybe if i upload again it wont stretched, but can ask for all members to do that.

Yeah, but if you want to have avatars bigger than 150x150, remember to change the max avatar dimensions for each group like @Woodsman said, so that new avatars don't get stretched.

ACP > Members > Groups > Social > Maximum profile photo image size

Ratio is also important, so if the original file dimensions of avatars are 290x300, then the avatars in topics should be 180x186 to avoid stretching :) It might be easier to have original avatars be 300x300.

What would you want to achieve with this setting? Higher resolution? Certain aspect ratios? Something else?

In 3.4.7 I used it to have bigger avatars cause forum I moved from ( SMF ) had larger ones and default on 3.4.7 was small accordingly.

You certainly can have larger images. You don’t need that special setting for that. You can control the physical image size as well as the display size (CSS). 

Sure, but for ppl like me who are not very familiar with CSS can have problems as I did previously. Anyway that may be against IPS' will to simplify the software.

​Thanks! I found it on:

ACP > Customisation > Theme > Edit HTML and CSS > CSS > misc.css

The default value is 90x90 (radius 45). I tried 180x180 (radius 90) and it was a nice size, but the images seems stretched (even the original size of avatars before the 4.0 upgrade was 290x300px). Didnt like, so i choose the default value. Maybe if i upload again it wont stretched, but can ask for all members to do that.

​Even doing that i got it stretched. Trying to reupload the avatar and i got it perfect again.

Sure, but for ppl like me who are not very familiar with CSS can have problems as I did previously. Anyway that may be against IPS' will to simplify the software.

​The display size of the avatar images is a theme setting, not a system image upload setting. That’s why it works this way. 

In 4.0, CSS settings can easily be turned into user theme settings – just as the round or square avatar option. So I guess an option for avatar size could actually be easy to achieve, if IPS or a theme designers thinks that is useful. 

​The display size of the avatar images is a theme setting, not a system image upload setting. That’s why it works this way.

In 4.0, CSS settings can easily be turned into user theme settings – just as the round or square avatar option. So I guess an option for avatar size could actually be easy to achieve, if IPS or a theme designers thinks that is useful.

​The only time I do anything with image sizing is when it is requested in a custom theme other than that I generally keep to the defaults due to different resolution preferences.

• 2 years later...

Archived