Where is the members list ?

Flo44

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​So no member list or grid? I thought we were talking leader board? Charles even posted a screen shot in this thread. I am confused.

​That screenshot that Charles posted is already available. It's a widget.

EDIT: here's it on my site (in sidebar form)

sidebar-widget.thumb.jpg.bf5034ab3f2f4f7

​I tried this on my RC4 site, but it didn't work.

Is there still a way to display a list?

http://community.invisionpower.com/search/?q=&type=core_members

FWIW I just made a Friendly URL to /members with the following: index.php?app=core&module=search&controller=search&type=core_members&sortby=joined&sortdirection=desc&page=1

Advanced_Configuration.thumb.jpg.63529a0

I don't need a members list, personally, I just know my members like that link in the navbar. Even if they don't use it. You know how it goes with change and resistance to it.

​Personally hope this is an extra feature and not default. I hate members list. Unused feature for me and for my members. Totally agree with IPS on this. What I can't understand is that how one person realized it's gone and others woke up after that like "oh nooo, its so important thing". So important that you even haven't realized it's gone over a year! Haters may hate but theres certainly lots of people who's happy with decisions made.

And as theres list of members in search I cant understand how come you still whine about that.

It best to have some features and let the Administrators/Owners choose what they want not tell them what they want. There is a different.

• 2 months later...

I know I'm way late to the discussion and my point may have already been brought up, but if the point is strictly about the forums and threads and not the members, then why have a status feed?

To me, IPB/IPS is about a community - and all the facets that come with it. Some people may want to hold conversations in thread form somewhere inside the actual forums. Some people may prefer to connect more Facebook-style, but not on Facebook. Having a proper members list, as well as more limited-in-scale friends lists, is a pretty simple additional feature that's all too easy to make admin-controllable in case not everybody wants it. And it absolutely helps create enormous additional potential for the community.

Facebook doesn't have a global list because, quite frankly, it's practically impossible. But the people here who have boasted very large communities still fail to have more members than some people I know on FB's friends lists. No individual forum is going to have so many members that it's impractical to have a members' list. And if an administrator disagrees with what I just said, they can simply disable their list and everybody's happy!

Forum software of all types have had members lists for two decades. I just don't understand why on earth it's suddenly an "unnecessary feature" when nearly every single major software had them for twenty years. It seems kinda arrogant to assume, and I feel it's pointless streamlining.

All-in-all, I think members' lists are a much more important feature than one-way FB/Twitter status linking, but for some crazy reason they decided to keep that.

• 3 weeks later...

Forum software of all types have had members lists for two decades. I just don't understand why on earth it's suddenly an "unnecessary feature" when nearly every single major software had them for twenty years. It seems kinda arrogant to assume, and I feel it's pointless streamlining.

Yes, you're late to the game! It has been said repeatedly that the Friends list served no real purpose in IPS 3 (I respectfully disagree). The member list was thought of the same way and inefficient (certainly as a page) as compared to search.

Friends: Personally I think that Friends was used like others have said - as a permissions list for private content. Numerous others have said the private content lists were extremely useful for Gallery items, which is where you'd expect, e.g. kids photos, intimate/sexy photos, bikini photos, etc. As I understand what has been said here often, the goals of IPS 4 were to move completely away from private content and make sure everything  was public and potentially indexible by search engines and available to the "community." Hence private permissions lists really weren't within the focus of what they wanted to accomplish and they moved from Friends to Followers, which is basically what one would use if there is no private or personal content. It's a notification system of when someone posted, that's it. Focus is now on content, not the community/relationships.

Members: I can understand the uselessness of the general list. It is useless. The problem is that nothing replaced it and it would have been deathly simple to do so, e.g. top lists. I put up this suggestion many moons ago when I used to browse here. You have a member page which rewards your top members along with a search box. Why that still isn't implemented, I can't tell you. Ask the architects who might disagree with me that a dedicated members page is even needed in any fashion.

Why call forums a "community" and not "content" by that logic. :lol:

Agreed. Best example to me - "content count." To me it's a completely useless number as is but it forms the basis of a metric to IPS which makes total sense to them. I click on your profile and see a raw number. And if you look at any of the most popular modifications of forums that focus on breaking down member activity (like "points" or "levels") for the past 10 years, you can see how this typically works. I see none of this implemented in IPS 4, all of which would have ended up with a focus on Members and a Members page. In fairness, perhaps they may have a vision that is far clearer than my own. To me, IPS 4 is a different product than IPS 3 and I can't yet figure out what its focus and vision is exactly. It feels like a CMS without the focus on the dedicated CMS and on community participation without the focus on community. I don't have a feel for where it's going since it's all proprietary knowledge as it has been since it was announced. 

• 2 months later...

I think it's kinda crappy that the rest of us can no longer use a feature because the dev didn't want it on their own forum, when us using it has no affect on you or your forum at all. I'm shocked and confused at these responses... Surely it could be an optional feature?

• Management
3 hours ago, nononono said:

I think it's kinda crappy that the rest of us can no longer use a feature because the dev didn't want it on their own forum, when us using it has no affect on you or your forum at all. I'm shocked and confused at these responses... Surely it could be an optional feature?

https://community.invisionpower.com/search/?q=&type=core_members

Archived