Where is the members list ?

Flo44

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are, however, researching member discovery features that help people find interesting members based on criteria other than a simple list of all members. We believe this is the goal that most people want - member discovery - whereas a list-o-members is just a list.

What I'm talking about is the ability to discover interesting people on your forum, not just the top 10 content creators.

As Charles had mentioned.

I have a feeling an enterprising Marketplace contributor could make dozens of dollars if they submitted a member list app.

​I'm slightly surprised no one has actually. I thought about this a few days ago...

​I'm slightly surprised no one has actually. I thought about this a few days ago...

​your time is now, Andy.

LOL

(Side-note: I feel bad that I literally have always thought you and the other Andy were the same person. I just happened to look the other day and I was like "wait..there are two andys?") LOL

​your time is now, Andy.

LOL

(Side-note: I feel bad that I literally have always thought you and the other Andy were the same person. I just happened to look the other day and I was like "wait..there are two andys?") LOL

​Trust me, you would not want me to code it ;)

Do you mean Andy Milne ? I used to get quite a few PM's meant for him, I'd just forward them on...

I have a feeling an enterprising Marketplace contributor could make dozens of dollars if they submitted a member list app.

​.

so there we are then .. it's all in the mind of doing business .. it's a move to keep the marketplace alive and top worthy ..

​I have and a lot of people have pointed out the that members list was not a useful feature. While there is a ton of discussion about Member List of God 4.0 that really doesn't have any bearing on the old member list :)

​Can't you just use some of the old code to apply it to the the current suite and some change to it as well?  Also maybe having double columns may help as well.

​How many people change the font on their posts? How many use the next unread topic button at the bottom? How many use those little icons "share on..." at the bottom of the page? How many people use the "reply to this topic"-button for answering?... Do you think someone could make dozens of dollars by adding those things as an app? And I'm still on the very same page I used quote on...

I assume that everyone has noticed that a basic members list has been added back to the menu bar?

​Personally hope this is an extra feature and not default. I hate members list. Unused feature for me and for my members. Totally agree with IPS on this. What I can't understand is that how one person realized it's gone and others woke up after that like "oh nooo, its so important thing". So important that you even haven't realized it's gone over a year! Haters may hate but theres certainly lots of people who's happy with decisions made.

And as theres list of members in search I cant understand how come you still whine about that.

​Personally hope this is an extra feature and not default. I hate members list. Unused feature for me and for my members. Totally agree with IPS on this. What I can't understand is that how one person realized it's gone and others woke up after that like "oh nooo, its so important thing". So important that you even haven't realized it's gone over a year! Haters may hate but theres certainly lots of people who's happy with decisions made.

And as theres list of members in search I cant understand how come you still whine about that.

​This is showing beyond any doubt that you really haven't read most of this thread.

Yes, we're definitely going around in circles. Let's sum it up; I think everyone largely agrees on this:

DON'T WANT: A long static list of every member in the community; a 'member list'. The search area in 4.0 already covers finding specific members.

DO WANT: Better ways of identifying important members in the community based on their contributions or relevance

What is wrong with the option of either/or? Unless of course the resources required to implement such a feature are too great?

Can we have a poll :P

Some people do like stalking (In the friendly way) on forums and just nosying around random profiles, especially if you are creating an environment where people want to hang around and lookup other members.

I think what you're really after is a way for member content to be better recognized, rather than a 'member list'. A member list to most of us is simply an alphabetical (or other sorting) list of everyone in the community, and that's what we're saying isn't very useful. However, you're asking for ways for member contributions to be recognized - show those with the best content (voted on my other members), those with most followers, and so on. I don't think those are solved with a member list, but you'll be pleased to know we already have ideas on how to address those kinds of needs.

One of my favorite buzzwords is 'gamification' (everyone laughs at me when I use it) - i.e. encouraging people to participate by rewarding them for doing so. We've made some simple steps towards this in 4.0 (such as showing the reputation count next to all of their posts and content), but there's a lot more we can do in future, and we already have some internal discussions about possible approaches.

​Can this be added to the IPS4 Feature Plan?

Archived