WhatsApp Share Link

I followed the instruction in the zip file and it doesn't work I see it in the admin cp and it's enabled I just did a test forum  on my site and it's not showing :(

www.gamingpcforum.com

​WhatsApp sharing doesn't work in non-mobile/tablet devices so it's turned off in desktop view by default though it can be turned on in plugin settings if you wish. The setting will be moved from plugin settings to Sharing > WhatsApp settings in the next release.

• 2 weeks later...

@Gabrielle V. we had some issues today and our site went down when removing plugins. The site came back online thanks to IPS Support, however the forum topics and posts would not appear. The topic and posts could not be accessed a blank page would be displayed - upon checking the error logs the following was identified.

[12-Apr-2015 21:59:32 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Method IPS\Content\ShareServices\Whatsappcvh::__toString() must not throw an exception in /public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(624) : eval()'d code on line 0
[12-Apr-2015 22:02:57 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Method IPS\Content\ShareServices\Whatsappcvh::__toString() must not throw an exception in /public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(624) : eval()'d code on line 0
[12-Apr-2015 22:03:06 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Method IPS\Content\ShareServices\Whatsappcvh::__toString() must not throw an exception in /public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(624) : eval()'d code on line 0
[12-Apr-2015 22:03:16 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Method IPS\Content\ShareServices\Whatsappcvh::__toString() must not throw an exception in /public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(624) : eval()'d code on line 0
[12-Apr-2015 22:03:58 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Method IPS\Content\ShareServices\Whatsappcvh::__toString() must not throw an exception in /public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(624) : eval()'d code on line 0
[12-Apr-2015 22:04:53 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Method IPS\Content\ShareServices\Whatsappcvh::__toString() must not throw an exception in /public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(624) : eval()'d code on line 0
[12-Apr-2015 22:05:58 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Method IPS\Content\ShareServices\Whatsappcvh::__toString() must not throw an exception in /public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(624) : eval()'d code on line 0
[12-Apr-2015 22:06:05 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Method IPS\Content\ShareServices\Whatsappcvh::__toString() must not throw an exception in /public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(624) : eval()'d code on line 0
[12-Apr-2015 22:06:08 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Method IPS\Content\ShareServices\Whatsappcvh::__toString() must not throw an exception in /public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(624) : eval()'d code on line 0

Disabling the file in /system/content/shareservice/ immediately resolved the issue, I'm not saying this was the root cause of the issue but it was a contributing factor.

@Gabrielle V. we had some issues today and our site went down when removing plugins. The site came back online thanks to IPS Support, however the forum topics and posts would not appear. The topic and posts could not be accessed a blank page would be displayed - upon checking the error logs the following was identified.

[12-Apr-2015 21:59:32 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Method IPS\Content\ShareServices\Whatsappcvh::__toString() must not throw an exception in /public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(624) : eval()'d code on line 0
[12-Apr-2015 22:02:57 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Method IPS\Content\ShareServices\Whatsappcvh::__toString() must not throw an exception in /public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(624) : eval()'d code on line 0
[12-Apr-2015 22:03:06 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Method IPS\Content\ShareServices\Whatsappcvh::__toString() must not throw an exception in /public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(624) : eval()'d code on line 0
[12-Apr-2015 22:03:16 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Method IPS\Content\ShareServices\Whatsappcvh::__toString() must not throw an exception in /public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(624) : eval()'d code on line 0
[12-Apr-2015 22:03:58 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Method IPS\Content\ShareServices\Whatsappcvh::__toString() must not throw an exception in /public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(624) : eval()'d code on line 0
[12-Apr-2015 22:04:53 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Method IPS\Content\ShareServices\Whatsappcvh::__toString() must not throw an exception in /public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(624) : eval()'d code on line 0
[12-Apr-2015 22:05:58 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Method IPS\Content\ShareServices\Whatsappcvh::__toString() must not throw an exception in /public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(624) : eval()'d code on line 0
[12-Apr-2015 22:06:05 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Method IPS\Content\ShareServices\Whatsappcvh::__toString() must not throw an exception in /public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(624) : eval()'d code on line 0
[12-Apr-2015 22:06:08 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Method IPS\Content\ShareServices\Whatsappcvh::__toString() must not throw an exception in /public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(624) : eval()'d code on line 0

Disabling the file in /system/content/shareservice/ immediately resolved the issue, I'm not saying this was the root cause of the issue but it was a contributing factor.

​That issue is generally caused by a missing template. There is an IN_DEV specific template (which is uploaded to /applications/core/dev/html/front/sharelinks/whatsapp_cvh.phtml) and then there's the one saved by IPS when installing the plugin. 

I'll make a note in the zip of how to uninstall the plugin correctly (which, yes, you have to delete the physical file in /system/content/shareservice before uninstalling the plugin).

Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I'm sorry it caused you issue. :/

edit: I have some ideas how to make this a non-issue in the future (by somehow piggy-backing on a hook).

Edited by Gabrielle V.
  • 3 weeks later...

Not seems on 4.0.2 :(

I'm able to install fine on 4.0.2. Created a fresh install to test.

whatsapp402.thumb.jpg.8a147e861a6858e1b0

Is the button not appearing? If so, you need to be in mobile/tablet though you do have ability to toggle 'Hide in desktop mode?' in System > Sharing > WhatsApp > Edit. It's set to off by default because WhatsApp Web didn't support sharing last time I checked.

What's the error you're getting if that's not the issue?

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I would like to edit the template file for WhatsApp button.

I tried to find it on core > global > sharelinks but it's not there. Where can I find it?

Testing on iPhone, the button works, but the title gets plus signs (+) where should be spaces.

The pontuation character  "!" is changed to "!".

And in system > site promotion > sharing, even if we put WhatsApp on top, it appears as the last sharing option for the user.

Hello!

I would like to edit the template file for WhatsApp button.

I tried to find it on core > global > sharelinks but it's not there. Where can I find it?

Testing on iPhone, the button works, but the title gets plus signs (+) where should be spaces.

The pontuation character  "!" is changed to "!".

And in system > site promotion > sharing, even if we put WhatsApp on top, it appears as the last sharing option for the user.

​It's under Core > Global > Plugins in the Theme editor.

I will try testing on an iPhone over the weekend. It's working on my Android phone so it may be iOS-specific.

The wrong positioning is a bug and I've created a fix for it on my test install. I will release the fix after I test the WhatsApp plugin on iPhone. 

Thanks. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Does this plugin impact negatively on website speed?

Is there a Javascript to be loaded right? Does it follow the system core rules for javascript optimum loading?

Thanks.

This plugin has no javascript. It does have a CSS file to change the color of the share link.

I was able to optimize my test install of WhatsApp and on average saved about 2% of load time or about 10,000 microseconds on a full page on a topic with thousands of posts. Will release within the next few days. :) 

@sobrenome I've released the new version (1.0.6).

I've removed the custom text string that was being used for now but added an example of customization on the plugin page since the template does allow for access to the title and URL. The rest of the changes are just adding static variables and removing the call to the WhatsApp class if not on mobile/tablet and if the desktop view setting has not been toggled.

None of the other IPS share links seem to have custom text strings and I figured the performance improvements would be worth it. Hopefully you see some improvement in speed. :) 

Edited by Gabrielle V.
  • 1 month later...

Only one thing that I have noticed.

On desktop, if we set the icon not to show, it adds a small gap between other share icons, in the place that whatsapp icon should be.

Yes, it does. Unfortunately with full-page caching for guests available I cannot hide it server-side. For now, you can choose to turn it on for everyone if it's an issue.

It's possible with javascript. I'll look into providing some example code or maybe adding a small js file.

Thanks. :)

Edited by Gabrielle V.

Awesome! Any other improvement for the update?

I have tested for accents, it's working fine in the current release.

Thanks for testing the accents. :)

Some more small performance tweaks. Also, if you use memcached and full page caching there was a bug for guests that would cache visibility server-side rather than just using the CSS.

• 3 months later...