Has anybody upgraded a large site?

Kirill N

It loads in about 5 seconds.

​Weird - every topic on my forum that has a lot of pages takes MINUTES to load. I contacted the support about this and they told me it's because of a query that is "required in order to show the warn status alongside member post" and they can't remove it (though this wasn't an issue in 3.x).

5 seconds still seems like a lot, doesn't it?

Well, I've got 3 topics which are basically libraries to 3 different games and they are extremely content rich & take over 10 seconds to access but are still loading once you do access. They are working just fine (always going to be slow due to the content within them) although they did load faster on PHBB before I converted the site to IPB (but thats a side issue, as more and more has been added since then).

I imagine it could partially be an issue with your servers join buffer size being too small. That's just an off-the-wall guess though.

​Can't be that because the same topics load in less than a second in 3.x AND in 4.0 when I'm not logged in as an admin/mod.

Well, I've got 3 topics which are basically libraries to 3 different games and they are extremely content rich & take over 10 seconds to access but are still loading once you do access. They are working just fine (always going to be slow due to the content within them) although they did load faster on PHBB before I converted the site to IPB (but thats a side issue, as more and more has been added since then).

As I said before, 5-10 seconds is still a lot, no matter what size the topic is. In 3.x, any kind of topic, from those with 500+ pages to those with 1 response, loaded equally fast.​

Yes, I'll be digging a little deeper on your site to track this down asap. There is no reason it should be taking minutes under any circumstances. It could be something simple like a missing index or as Kirito suggests some server specific MySQL configuration.

​If it is a join buffer size issue it could also be caused by a missing index (unless the value is configured really low), i.e. if there is a full join being made here. (Simply increasing the join buffer size isn't really a solution to the underlying problem in a situation like this but I don't know how the database is actually structured so I'm just kind of guessing around here.)

Hopefully it is something as simple as a missing index and that's all it takes to fix it though. I know you've all put a lot of effort into database optimization and things like this can easily start becoming a bit of a headache, heh.

i have a problem i putted all the files into the server but when i try to install it i have this blank page.

and when i type on broswer "community.entergaming.gr/error.html" it shows me this.

Please help me, thank you

(i posted it here because they don't approving my topic. sorry)

​It's showing you have logged in as a visitor rather than a client, you'll need to login with the client account to gain access to support, if you are not a customer IPS will most likely be asking how you got a copy of the beta.

I tried upgrading on localhost my site with the following stats:

ipbstats.thumb.png.e885c2f2067fd38298370

Took 13 hours to convert (some tables of) the database to UTF-8, then I got the following error when proceeding the upgrade:

ipberror.thumb.png.51b9d64b6b503fc088a4b

Clicking on Retry? will result in the same error. Clicking on Continue starts to upgrade but still will end up with the same error. Have no idea what to do :unsure:

If it took 13 hours for that....Then I am F***ed.  Sorry, not sure how else to say it as...wow...hummm...

3,281,780 Total Posts

103,596 Total Members

:D

It took only about half an hour to reach 99.86% then stuck there during 13h. I don't know if it's something normal :tongue:

Archived