Notification on Ignored Signature

Ocean West

if someone made an obnoxious signature and it became annoying it would be nice for them to get notification of the # of people who ignored their signature (not who) perhaps it would encourage them to simplify their signature.

On the flip side if i ignore a signature should it be there in perpetuity? even if the offender changed their signature? should I get a notification back that someone's signature that I had ignored was updated? allowing me to decide if no longer want to ignore their signature?

Probably not a feature for the core - but hanging this out there perhaps an idea for the intrepid marketplace developers. 

I think this may be over-thinking it a bit. If you ever had to ignore someone's signature, would you actually care if they changed it again at a later date?

Sending the user a notice if a certain number of users ignore their signature in a short time period does sound potentially beneficial if signatures are a frequently used forum feature in your community. Nothing too technical, just something to say "hey, we've noticed a lot of people have been blocking your signature recently, please be sure you review these guidelines to ensure your signature isn't completely obnoxious." (Well, something a lot cleaner than that, but you get the gist).

It's kind of niche since signatures really only play a large role in some communities, and I believe IPS4 is shifting their predominance out a bit, but it is an interesting idea for communities that still do make heavy use of them.

Yea - probably true - we get so many other nagging notifications for our time ( all our devices ) not logging in to be bombarded when someone updated a signature that would be annoying. 

but at least # of blocked signatures < time may be good to keep people in line with guidelines - a signature bot as it were.

It could also work as a means of self-moderation. If someone's signature gets ignored an excessive number of times in a short time span, the system can automatically reset their signature and possibly suspend them from setting a signature for a set period of time.

I think that's a nice idea. It may be a bit difficult to fine tune the values needed for this, and you'd need to account for the potential abuse, possibly by restricting the counts to specific members groups. But otherwise I think it's certainly doable.

Archived