Group Collaboration

1 hour ago, IndieIndeed said:

Does the new theme in 4.2 beta make buttons disappear in the "Manage Roles" (and other manage) page? Since I would assume there's supposed to be a create role button but there's nothing to do so.

Also, I upgraded to 4.2 because I thought you merged this product officially into IPB. Turns out that's not the case. They visually copied your plugin with even less features.

They'll add an entire "club" built-in but still haven't made this built-in. 

4.2 compatibility fixes will be posted very soon. I'm just adding a few new features and other upgrades to GC while I'm at it to fill some gaps.

Do you know if Group Collaboration is mobile friendly? Seem I can't look at any groups being the admin of the board. With my admin account I load up my board on my iphone and can see the main sections to click on but after that it wont show the sub sections or let me make any sections.

Cowboy (Main Section)
Red - Blue - Green <-- sub sections don't see them or can make a collab.

20 hours ago, Kevin Carwile said:

4.2 compatibility fixes will be posted very soon. I'm just adding a few new features and other upgrades to GC while I'm at it to fill some gaps.

@Kevin Carwile Thanks Kevin.  I'm totally into the new Groups function that will be coming with 4.2, but I say I am mightily impressed with your app and can easily see that it's much more granular than 4.2 in its current state at least.  You seem to have answered my nagging question re: whether or not you would continue updating this with 4.2 and beyond with a yes, which brings me that much closer to purchasing your app...you do excellent work! :D

One question however: do you see any conflict if, theoretically, one were to use your app alongside Groups?

2 hours ago, liquidfractal said:

One question however: do you see any conflict if, theoretically, one were to use your app alongside Groups?

No conflict. They work independent of each other. Although I have been tossing the idea around of setting GC up so collabs could have clubs inside of them. But that may be just getting too cute and/or redundant.

Just now, Kevin Carwile said:

No conflict. They work independent of each other. Although I have been tossing the idea around of setting GC up so collabs could have clubs inside of them. But that may be just getting too cute and/or redundant.

Thanks Kevin.  My final question would be (and sorry if it's already been answered in the many pages here): is it possible right now to move existing blogs, pages, databases etc. into created collabs?  I think that's the one thing keeping me from buying this right now. :)

i got a question, and forgive me for butting in

But how is Collabs differ from Clubs??

The clubs default app has all the features Collabs has...

for that amount of money, do you have something that is better than clubs to make someone want to buy it??

I think alot of ppl would like to know this?? 

i have 4.2

and i have Collabs

im trying to see the difference and see if i should renew when the collab term is up for my app

1 minute ago, FGN said:

The clubs default app has all the features Collabs has...

This isn't quite true.  To name one important difference: The Clubs function in 4.2 does not allow association of Pages or Databases with created Clubs - Collabs allow you to use all the IPS suite's functions.  There's also no way of knowing when (or even if) that ability will be implemented in Clubs.  MOreover, I believe I read it's also integrated with @Kevin Carwile's Rules application.  Does that sound right Kevin?

That's what I know anyway...I'll leave it to others more familiar with the software to describe more differences.

36 minutes ago, liquidfractal said:

is it possible right now to move existing blogs, pages, databases etc. into created collabs?

It is. The dropdown menu for nodes when managing them from the ACP has an option to move it to a collab.

23 minutes ago, FGN said:

so thanks and i will also wait for kevs response so he can tell more on whats better in Collabs

Where do I start. 

GC provides intelligent and granular partitioning of existing site resources instead of trying to recreate them in some other form. Because of this approach, it allows groups to use all apps at their full strength, in their full form, including all configuration features of that app that get added or changed as it evolves.... inherently.

Clubs on the other hand provides an alternate way for apps to offer up their configuration in "club mode".

For example, create a forum in a "club" and you'll be able to set its name and description. 

Create a forum in GC and you set its name, description, icon, password, theme, link, post count pre-requisites, order, nesting level, permissions, and everything in between.

Similarly, it supports all apps that follow the container/content model out of the box because it doesnt attempt to know how to intercede with its configuration. 

They really are two totally different approaches that result in two different products.

Other key differences that I can see is that GC also partions the permissions system in its full capacity also. Meaning groups are able to define their own custom roles inside the group with all the same moderator permission granularity of the main site assigned to those roles inside the group, and permissions matrices for the group content set up based on those roles as well.

Then theres the whole rules ECA integration. Group memberships and actions can be tied into automation quite easily if needed.

Clubs will be a great way for sites to roll out some basic group participation facilities. And GC will remain the solution for when you want to empower your groups to collaborate using the full power of the IPS4 community suite.

27 minutes ago, liquidfractal said:

@Kevin Carwile a question about implementing Pages in Collab categories: is it at all possible to allow category owners (who are not an admin) to create their own pages and create/add blocks?  If this isn't possible, is it a foreseeable addition in the future?  Thanks!

The can create their own pages in the sense that you can allow groups to use databases you have set up in the ACP. So they can create their own categories and records in those categories for that database.

But configuring their own blocks and adding them to their collab is not currently possible due to technical limitations in the ability to control blocks visibility "per page" in core ips.

Maybe when core improvements are made there...

Thanks again Kevin.  I have a couple more questions, but will ask them later.  For now, thank you for your patience with all the questions! :)

EDIT: ok maybe one more question! - I am trying to have a member in a certain group create a database category with the ability to post articles to it.  The test member can create the category, but that's all I can seem to do - create categories in the collab without the ability to add an article.  Are these permissions controlled in the Group settings of the AdminCP?  Because those categories don't show up anywhere in Pages.  Everything else makes sense to me - I think I'm still figuring out how Pages/Databases work with your app.

Edited by liquidfractal
14 hours ago, FGN said:

ok, thats what i was asking kev to explain, if it is better then i see to keep it, and thats why i ask these questions, spending money like that, i need to know and ask alot of questions

so thanks and i will also wait for kevs response so he can tell more on whats better in Collabs

If anything Collabs is much more powerful than Clubs ...

In clubs you can only create one forum node at a time. (No subforums)

In clubs the permission set is completely neutered because it's preset to one of four styles of clubs.  This is something that I think is a fatal weakness to clubs.  

In clubs you can't have pages or databases.

In clubs you can't have categories of clubs. 

In clubs you can't have custom member titles.  

On and on.  

While I'm generally supportive of IPS and their vision for clubs as first party product, it's a very shallow and immature implementation.  That's not to say it's bad, and if you listen to other IPS clients, you can get fooled into thinking Clubs is the most amazing and awesome thing ever.  But it's really not.  It's a rather weak product compared to the full strength of Collabs which allows you to use the full app in a collaboration. 

Well @Kevin Carwile looks like your apps is broken for 4.2.0.  Upload some pictures so you can see your self.

When I made a collab page name it and went to work on adding a nice forums section only option I get is this "There are no results to display."
and same answer is given for all features built into IPB.

Next with mobile phone still can't access a list beyond main topic into sub sections. I included a pictures for you to see.

Last on my list is I notice the font was changed for members made collab. The white font with working for the logo is very hard to see when a pictures is uploaded behind it. Anyway we can change this?

Uploaded pictures to show you what I mean. 

display.jpg

IMG_3586.PNG

IMG_3587.PNG

section to pick.jpg

Edited by mrbowers

Post 4.2 I would love it if you added the ability to migrate a club into a group collab. The big plus for clubs for us has been the ability to import vb4 social groups and I would love it if I could then migrate some of them across to group collabs for extra functionality.

On 5/28/2017 at 7:58 PM, ZeroHour said:

Post 4.2 I would love it if you added the ability to migrate a club into a group collab. The big plus for clubs for us has been the ability to import vb4 social groups and I would love it if I could then migrate some of them across to group collabs for extra functionality.

I don't see of any way to import vb4 social groups to IPS clubs. Where are you seeing that?