Group Collaboration

Hi @Kevin Carwile

I've just bought GC after testing it a while back and I'm running into a single but very visible bug with it (and I'm not alone, it seems). You've probably already heard of it.

But before I go on, I just want to say I don't want to start a blame-game, I'm just looking for an idea of how to get my forum to work :)

GC and @ehren.'s themes (in this instance Chameleon Light) unfortunately do not always play nice together. This becomes apparent when I go to a Collaboration Category with Collabs listed below. The collabs are all transparent with indistinguishable text floating over the background image. It just doesn't work.

Here's someone else's example: https://www.ipsfocus.com/forums/uploads/monthly_11_2015/post-19877-0-69854900-1448368448.jpg

Searching Ehren's support-forums, other are having the same problem (these forums are closed to non-customers AFAIK). It seems that the collabs listed under Collab Categories are missing a div wrapper like this:

<div class='ipsBox'>

xxx

</div>

Do you think that is indeed the issue? I know GC works fine with the default IPS4 theme and that Ehren's themes can be very demanding on the framework.

Can you think of a way for me - and others - to fix this issue, even haphazardly (while keeping Ehren's theme, of course ;))?

GC and Ehren's popular themes are both awesome additions to the IPS4 product, it'd be a shame if they just couldn't work together.

48 minutes ago, Kevin Carwile said:

If its simply a matter of a div tag missing to satisfy the themes styles, why not simply add it? Thats why you can edit any template in the IPS4 theme layer.

Because I don't know the first thing about modding templates or anything theme-related in IPS4 - that piece of code pasted was just copied from Ehren's site.

I don't know how many places it needs doing, don't know where, even how to fix mistakes I make. I can spend time trying to figure it out, but having a solution anyone buying yours and Ehrens products can follow, searchable right here on IPS' website, would be a benefit to all.

Anyways, I take your meaning.

15 hours ago, Kevin Carwile said:

Have whoever posted it provide the updated template code that is needed for best compatibility with the theme.

I'll then update the collab app with it if it doesnt affect any default styling.

I think I've got it figured out now, so the GC & Chameleon theme doesn't annoy each other.

Editing the theme html customization, under: collab > front > components > categoryTable

Line 78

I added the ipsBox to the class like this.

<ol class='ipsBox ipsDataList ipsDataList_zebra ipsClear collabListTable

I haven't had time to see if it happens to mess with anything else yet, but if it does, I promise I'll post it here. I believe this needs to be redone with every upgrade.

I'm still setting up the plugin from my end and at the moment I love it :) it's so cool and the end results I know I will get 30 plus more members.

What I would like to see "suggestion" that the collaboration groups doesn't shares the forums, databases etc on the ACP. I want the members to make up the boards on there own little mini sites but have it in the ACP so that it's supperated to the main website boards!!!!!!

2 hours ago, EmpireKickass said:

What I would like to see "suggestion" that the collaboration groups doesn't shares the forums, databases etc on the ACP. I want the members to make up the boards on there own little mini sites but have it in the ACP so that it's supperated to the main website boards!!!!!!

Members make their own boards in a collab as it stands. I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

4 hours ago, EmpireKickass said:

One time I remove the plugin. And all boards from the groups appeared on my forum list on the ACP. taken me time to remove or hind it until the plugin was loaded up again

I see. That is the beauty of how collabs works. It simply puts up dividers to create spaces and enforce permissions. It doesnt have to imitate or recreate the functionality of an app to work. Thats how it is so flexible to work with nearly any new content app release that follows IPS conventions out of the box.

You disabling the app is like taking the dividers down.

When you uninstall the app, you can choose to have all content inside of collabs removed as well. If you dont, you are left with them.

I dont see any more ideal way it would work.

9 hours ago, Kevin Carwile said:

You can sell memberships to site member groups via IPS Commerce app. Then allow that member group to create a collab in your collab category of choice.

yeah that's one option, though be cool to built something into the plugin so that if an member opens up an group they go though the payment option steps. So that it's separated

Hi @Kevin Carwile,
i recently bought Group Collab and everything is fine so far but 1 thing is messy and I cant fix it.

We have 2 categories in use and permissions are set correct as far as I can say that. But now there is a weird part:
Although logged in members see collabs within a category (3 collabs in in category A and 2 collasb in category B) guests view is quite bugged. Whichever category they chose to browse, they always see ALL collabs (in this example, the always see 5 collabs mixed up. doesnt matter which category they are browsing)

Is this a common bug? Do you have solution? Do you need more info / site access? 

I bought this app some months ago. Installed it, but never used it as my site is still under development, so zero users...

I dont how can this app influence on site performance and reliability (time load, bugs for example). Should I enable only forums or canI enable calendar and other apps without experience a lost of speed?

6 hours ago, SammyS said:

I bought this app some months ago. Installed it, but never used it as my site is still under development, so zero users...

I dont how can this app influence on site performance and reliability (time load, bugs for example). Should I enable only forums or canI enable calendar and other apps without experience a lost of speed?

Whatever minor overhead that is added by this app will be present regardless of how many apps you enable for collabs.

On 23/2/2017 at 6:31 PM, LukasGr. said:

Although logged in members see collabs within a category (3 collabs in in category A and 2 collasb in category B) guests view is quite bugged. Whichever category they chose to browse, they always see ALL collabs (in this example, the always see 5 collabs mixed up. doesnt matter which category they are browsing)

Is this a common bug? Do you have solution? Do you need more info / site access? 

I have this minor bug for guests as well.

Edited by Eupolemos
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Kevin Carwile said:

That will need to be edited in the theme. I'll look to change that though for the next update. Since collabs can have logos now, it makes sense.

Also it would be better if the widget works both horizontally and vertically unlike the widget now as it doesn't adapt to its position. 

• 3 weeks later...

Does the new theme in 4.2 beta make buttons disappear in the "Manage Roles" (and other manage) page? Since I would assume there's supposed to be a create role button but there's nothing to do so.

Also, I upgraded to 4.2 because I thought you merged this product officially into IPB. Turns out that's not the case. They visually copied your plugin with even less features.

They'll add an entire "club" built-in but still haven't made this built-in. 

:whistle: