Group Collaboration

So I decided to check out the Group Collaboration finally.  Some issues (running v4.1.5.2):

1.  Collab App Configuration settings not saving.  

Steps: ACP Groups > Categories > (Name of Group Collab) > Any app setting such as Forum Settings.  I've tried to save this multiple times and everytime I come back, all of the options are unchecked.  So I can't actually do anything yet in my groups, which is a bummer :cry:

5682becca41fc_Collab-Category-ForumSetti

2.  Language Strings

Steps: ACP Groups > Categories > (Name of Group Collab) > Gallery Settings or Page Settings.  There are some untranslated language strings, maybe they're unique to my installation if I have third-party mods? I don't know, since some of these are like 'Can Pin Content'

5682c1ca7757f_Collab-Category-GallerySet

5682c1c8c41e4_Collab-Category-PagesSetti

3.  Menu Tabs

Steps: ACP Groups > Categories.  When you have a third-party app such as "Advanced Tags & Prefixes," the tab doesn't appear very nicely.  This is entirely aesthetic in nature but still important.

Some suggestions or questions since I'm just  getting settled in:

1.  Suggestion: Link to Category - I know this sounds kind of stupid, but after I created a category ... I didn't know where to go on the front-end!  I thought there would be a nice Menu option, but there wasn't.  I even tried guessing /groups or /collab.  Eventually I toggled 'show on board index' and I was able to navigate to the Collab app in a roundabout way from the forums!  

2.  Suggestion: Custom icon or banner for Groups.  In the Groups listing under a category, I think there could be a richer representation of each group, since it's really each Group that's important and that's trying to attract new members, not the Categories.    

3.  Good job: Mini icons for "active member" and "you are an active member."  There's a lot of rich information that you shared using that iconography.

I can't actually do anything set since none of my settings are saved, but I'm excited.  

37 minutes ago, Joel R said:

1.  Collab App Configuration settings not saving.  

Go to the "Settings" link for Group Collaboration in your ACP. Disable the "expanded category configuration" option. This will split the configuration of collab categories out into multiple steps so that your server doesn't have to process all the configuration at once.

38 minutes ago, Joel R said:

2.  Language Strings

Those are core language strings. Check to see if they are also missing if you try to customize those permissions from the "Moderators" ACP interface. I believe IPS forgot to update pages to generate those for new databases. It may need to be filed as a bug report with IPS.

41 minutes ago, Joel R said:

3.  Menu Tabs

I'm wondering why Advanced Tags & Prefixes is configurable under collaborations... it doesn't have any of its own content types does it? At any rate, I think I know what you are saying. The tab is very wide in order to fit the whole app name?

52 minutes ago, Joel R said:

1.  Suggestion: Link to Category - I know this sounds kind of stupid, but after I created a category ... I didn't know where to go on the front-end!  I thought there would be a nice Menu option, but there wasn't.

Your saying that a navigation tab was not added automatically to your menu for my app after you installed it? WTF. You can add the link to the collab app manually from your menu manager in ACP. That link will take you to a page that will display all of the collab categories.

54 minutes ago, Joel R said:

2.  Suggestion: Custom icon or banner for Groups.

Agreed.

35 minutes ago, Kevin Carwile said:

Go to the "Settings" link for Group Collaboration in your ACP. Disable the "expanded category configuration" option. This will split the configuration of collab categories out into multiple steps so that your server doesn't have to process all the configuration at once.

Did that.  Then went through the Forum wizard, Gallery wizard, and Pages wizard to toggle all of my options.  Wizard was nice.Still no save :(  

Those are core language strings. Check to see if they are also missing if you try to customize those permissions from the "Moderators" ACP interface. I believe IPS forgot to update pages to generate those for new databases. It may need to be filed as a bug report with IPS.

I couldn't find the language strings in ACP Customization > Localization > Languages > English (Default).  Should I still file a bug report?  

I'm wondering why Advanced Tags & Prefixes is configurable under collaborations... it doesn't have any of its own content types does it? At any rate, I think I know what you are saying. The tab is very wide in order to fit the whole app name?

It's because you use an icon for all of the other tabs, whereas Tags & Prefixes tab is text only.  There's actually options to define tags and stuff.  Photo:

5682d7d07fce1_CreateCategory-NonIPSApp.t

Your saying that a navigation tab was not added automatically to your menu for my app after you installed it?

Correct.  Nothing changed with my front-end Menu, which is why I was lost.  Usually when you add an App it shows as a new first-level tab.  

I think it would be appropriate, however, for you to add a link to each collab, similar to ACP IP.Pages "View Page " search icon which pulls up the page.  Each collab is going to need to be edited from the front-end with text and banners, anyway.

Hi Kevin,

I think I may be beyond help here, I gave GC a second er third attempt, at configuring it again in hopes to launch it by next year. But here are the issues that I keep coming into. I fear am just trying to force this to do something it was not designed to do.

Currently i have the app disabled so I am going from memory...

Goals

• Give the ability for end users ( by permission or group ) to create personal / customized versions of apps - sub-tenants.
  • A faux ACP for these to create and manage these groups
  • These groups can operate independently or collective with the site the determination of the visibility is determined by end users of the site they can decide how high to build the walls, to exclude themself from content they do not share interests with. By making it an Opt-out there is more initial discovery of site wide content.
  • Prevent anything destructive Amin has final say - if someone created a group and they tried to nuke it it would flag it and require admin approval. 

Observations

The hierarchy structure of the site containers with in containers the nature of creating things needs to auto create the base level category or "parent" there are too many settings that novices could never understand. You could potentially get things messed up by not having things forced in to a parent container. - For example i moved several forms over to the GC and they were just there as forums but they were not apart of any "Category" when i moved them back to the forums they just got added back in at the root level of the site not apart of any category (or their original category, were they departed from) Thus making them invisible to the site because forums at the top level are excluded by nature -  the sort order was a jumble. Either they should be restored to their original location and position or when moving things back a new CATEGORY should automatically be created "Restored from Collab" and these items should appear grouped within) when you have a few dozen forums dropped on your forum list it's tedious to clean back up.

The discovery process is just a bit of a show stopper for me - I feel as soon as i move several categories of forums over to GC they would live in obscurity and it would take several direct clicks to even get to them. The main landing page for the GC when you have more then one categories is just two big black boxes and some text with more buttons you have to navigate to.. and then there is the the issue of having to go resource some abstract imagery to dress up the content with in.

I had noticed that you added the creation of links back in the forums but it only created links the the collab parent not to the individual groups. Leaving me to make make more redirect forums to the GC so that people looking at the forum index has a some idea they exist. - something i am trying to avoid managing the scaffolding.

-

Here is the narrative version of what I am trying to do:  I wish have a service that i sell (or offer for free)  in my storefront (commerce) when someone purchase this service it may include adding banner advertisements. Then they get elevated to a specific group. Once there they will have their Faux ACP where they can create forums, blogs, galleries, downloads, calendars, etc. This 'affiliate' is using my site as their front end tech support that their tech staff augment the community at large to assist in solving the posters issues. moderates of this group would receive notifications of postings so that they don't forget they exist and content languishes. 

Currently i have to manually setup a forum for each product the affiliate needs in their category - and the category list gets very long - but it is at least discoverable. I'd like to allow someone to manage these forums ( the text / the imagery / order / who is assigned to moderate etc. ) but don't want them to have access to the real ACP.

- humbly Stephen

1 hour ago, Ocean West said:

The discovery process is just a bit of a show stopper for me - I feel as soon as i move several categories of forums over to GC they would live in obscurity and it would take several direct clicks to even get to them. The main landing page for the GC when you have more then one categories is just two big black boxes and some text with more buttons you have to navigate to.. and then there is the the issue of having to go resource some abstract imagery to dress up the content with in.

Without getting into the overall concerns by @Ocean West, I agree that content discovery is difficult and obscured by GC.  It's why I suggested collab icons or banner, to make each collab more enticing.  

Some thoughts on just this point:

1.  Each group resides in a category, which means that a user needs to go from the homepage > category > group before they even see any interesting content.  I personally think that Category is more useful as a back-end function to administer settings, not as a front-end categorization.  But I can understand how some people, with tons of groups, may want front-end Categories.  

2.  I was hoping that there would be a seamless interaction of nodes between IP.Apps and GC.  For example, board A in IP.Board is actually administered by collab Alpha, and you can access / view / post in the same board A from both the board index as well as the collab.  But then I realized there might be permissions, settings, templates, etc. which might be difficult to cross-over.  (But if it could be done, that alone would be some jaw-dropping cross-node ninja kung fu right there, which I'm hoping one day ... sigh .. IPS might offer this kind of amazing functionality.)  

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, out of curiosity, are any of you experiencing slowness on your websites with the group collaboration app installed?

My community has created over 500 groups which means over 500 forum categories as a result and my site is very slow.  I had my hosting provider provide me with a slow query log and it appears that group collaboration might be the cause since a lot of the queries are from the group collaboration app.

Anyone else experiencing slow queries?

1 hour ago, Kevin Carwile said:

@Ryan Thomas

I'm looking into some ways that I can make the sql queries run a bit faster for you. It looks like most of those queries you showed me are from widgets pulling content from the whole site, and therefore must sql join and filter based on permissions for collabs.

Okay this would be awesome Kevin.  Will this be included in the next update for the Collaboration app then?  And how soon do you think it will be ready.

Thanks again for your help on this and your app is definitely the best third party app on my website. :D 

• 3 months later...

This was due to the Collaboration application that is installed. I have managed to work around the issue, so that the site could be brought back, however I recommend contacting the author of that application for further assistance. Here is the full error log:

Mon, 23 May 2016 15:58:32 +0000 (Severity: 3)
50.28.55.154 - http://engineeringwall.com/admin/upgrade/?controller=upgrade&key=6d2e901946187e7ca04dbeaec148953f&mr=JTdCJTIyMCUyMiUzQTMlMkMlMjIxJTIyJTNBJTIyY29sbGFiJTIyJTJDJTIyZXh0cmElMjIlM0ElN0IlMjJsYXN0U3FsSWQlMjIlM0ExJTdEJTdE&mr_error=1
Error : _SCHEME_NOT_PERMITTED
#0 /home/engineer/public_html/applications/collab/Application.php(839): IPS\Http\_Url->request()
#1 /home/engineer/public_html/applications/core/sources/Setup/Upgrade.php(665): IPS\collab\_Application->installJsonData(true)
#2 [internal function]: IPS\core\Setup\_Upgrade->IPS\core\Setup\{closure}('collab')
#3 /home/engineer/public_html/applications/core/sources/Setup/Upgrade.php(274): call_user_func(Object(Closure), 'collab')
#4 /home/engineer/public_html/applications/core/sources/Setup/Upgrade.php(713): IPS\core\Setup\_Upgrade->appLoop(Array, Object(Closure))
#5 [internal function]: IPS\core\Setup\_Upgrade->step3(Array)
#6 /home/engineer/public_html/applications/core/sources/Setup/Upgrade.php(210): call_user_func(Array, Array)
#7 /home/engineer/public_html/applications/core/modules/setup/upgrade/upgrade.php(48): IPS\core\Setup\_Upgrade->process(Array)
#8 [internal function]: IPS\core\modules\setup\upgrade\_upgrade->IPS\core\modules\setup\upgrade\{closure}(Array)
#9 /home/engineer/public_html/system/Helpers/MultipleRedirect/MultipleRedirect.php(71): call_user_func(Object(Closure), Array)
#10 /home/engineer/public_html/applications/core/modules/setup/upgrade/upgrade.php(105): IPS\Helpers\_MultipleRedirect->__construct(Object(IPS\Http\Url), Object(Closure), Object(Closure))
#11 /home/engineer/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(94): IPS\core\modules\setup\upgrade\_upgrade->manage()
#12 /home/engineer/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Setup.php(222): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#13 /home/engineer/public_html/admin/upgrade/index.php(29): IPS\Dispatcher\_Setup->run()
#14 {main}

Please help

• 2 months later...

I wasn't able to upgrade to the most recent version of IP.Board just now, continued to throw theme errors, so had to disable the plugin for now until updated.

Missing argument 1 for IPS\Http\collab_hook_ipsHttpUrl::__construct(), called in /public_html/forums/system/Http/Url.php on line 169 and defined

Edited by NathanR
1 hour ago, golgoth said:

Been using the test version and i was wondering: as an owner, is it right that i can't put a photo on the primary page of my collaboration? I can only choose photo when i add a new collab inside it.

Collabs dont go inside collabs so I dont understand the question.

Which primary page are you referring to. The collab category or the collaboration itself.

The collab category can have its background image changed. Collabs can have a logo uploaded if allowed in the collab category settings. Beyond that, each collab has a description editor that allows the owner to put in an arbitrary description including embedded images.

• 1 month later...

Make sure you are on the right page. You must be on the collab homepage to see the administration menu.

Make sure you have your permissions set correctly. That can be affected by a collab category setting which will "restrict collab owners to collab permissions" (or similar wording). 

If you are a site moderator, make sure to have the moderator permission to bypass collab restrictions.

9 hours ago, Kevin Carwile said:

Make sure you are on the right page. You must be on the collab homepage to see the administration menu.

Make sure you have your permissions set correctly. That can be affected by a collab category setting which will "restrict collab owners to collab permissions" (or similar wording). 

If you are a site moderator, make sure to have the moderator permission to bypass collab restrictions.

I have disabled the settings - Enable Friendly urls

If it is disabled   - collab mangemnet menu not coming

If it is enabled it is showing

I need to keep it disabled  - what can be done - Please test and suggest