Ability to edit post and save as blank post

SJ77

It's concerning that saving an edit with a blank form box is allowed!

We already have a system that prevents posting with a blank form box, but saving a blank edit is allowed? what?

This makes no sense. Why can't we use the same blank post prevention logic on edit saves that we use for the original post?

I can think of a great use case where the ability to save blanks would be abused on a regular basis. Suppose someone makes a post in hast, anger, or ignorance and changes their mind. (This happens a lot). They will then edit their post, and now have the option to simply delete everything and save an empty post. I shouldn't have to moderate this when this can be solved in exactly the same way we don't allow original posts to be blank.

blank post.JPG

blank.JPG

You may already know this but I will throw it out there anyways, you could always not allow that group to edit posts or put them on a time delay.

​I recognize that lots of people here are problem solvers by nature. The idea however, is to avoid an ugly fix to something that should be handled cleanly by the system. I want to allow people to edit their posts but I don't want to end up blank hunting all day. I get loads of posts daily and I don't have the bandwidth for this extra task. This is a major flaw in my opinion.  Anyway, thanks for the idea.. it's nice that you're helping but I am really trying for a cure not a band aid.

I agree that blank posts shouldn't be allowed, but at the same time it's the same thing as leaving a single character in the post, like a period. If someone has the ability to edit and decides to delete their posts out of rage, I don't see much of a difference between this:

And this:

Well, on a positive note personally I've had only handful of people in 6 years years put a period in their edited post. Doesn't or shouldn't happen very often but I also don't know what your traffic does. I read the bug report post and Andy F gave the best explanation I could think of. I do agree however I like how it was in 3.4

I agree that blank posts shouldn't be allowed, but at the same time it's the same thing as leaving a single character in the post, like a period. If someone has the ability to edit and decides to delete their posts out of rage, I don't see much of a difference between this:

And this:

​Again, logic minded people are problem solvers and conversely can also think up a work around to most solutions. However, simply because we can defeat an improvement measure doesn't mean we shouldn't employ it. I don't expect or need 100% improvement, I will accept 60%. 

All I am saying is we are doing something already to original posts, let's take that same validation script and attach it to the save edit action. It certainly wouldn't harm anything at worst and at best will prevent blank posts. FYI there is often also a 3 character min limit per post, which I am a fan of.

Agreed, it is very bad to not validate the edit. Don't think it should allow a "blank entry" whether it's null or contains spaces or periods. On another note, just curious, is there a regular expression we can edit to customize the validation of post entries?

I can only see one reason for allowing that and that is if a user wants to "soft delete" their post due to whatever reason. I would rather the user "report" it and ask for deletion then remove it themselves as it may leave a rather large gap in the conversation. Granted the alternative to this is deleting what they wrote and just putting gibberish in. There is no full-proof way of retaining a users content and permanently allowing editing like I wish to.

Apparently changes have been made....Okay, this is pretty funny too

Turns out if you Edit and save blank, the AJAX loads the post as blank during the users view. The user then assumes it has saved a blank post and can move on to other things... well it turns out that it actually didn't save any edit at all. I can see this not ending well. LOL

• 1 month later...

​That post isn't a blank post - it has a space in it.

​Still looks pretty blank to me ;)

There should be a minimum characters limit. 10 is the most common minimum (hence the /10char thing), and you should not be able to fill a post with spaces only.

​Still looks pretty blank to me ;)

There should be a minimum characters limit. 10 is the most common minimum (hence the /10char thing), and you should not be able to fill a post with spaces only.

​You quite literally labeled why a minimum character limit is rather pointless in your own response. Post character quantity is no indicator of quality, and any limit imposed would just see the /10char or similar added to make it the required length, without adding anything of value to the post.

​You quite literally labeled why a minimum character limit is rather pointless in your own response. Post character quantity is no indicator of quality, and any limit imposed would just see the /10char or similar added to make it the required length.

​It's no guarantee, but it does encourage people to put more stuff in their posts, even if not everyone will comply.

But the most important thing is to require more than just spaces really. Empty posts look weird and shouldn't be possible to produce.

Archived