How do I ban an IP? Spammers, Harvesters etc.

I have a couple of ip addresses that are using lots of resources.  For example, this one.  http://anti-hacker-alliance.com/index.php?details=136.243.5.215

How do block this IP to stop it from driving up my average users which determines by monthly bill?  I banned one in the ACP under the members tag but it didn't do anything.  The offending IP just kept driving up traffic with the same IP.

Any suggestions?

I have a couple of ip addresses that are using lots of resources.  For example, this one.  http://anti-hacker-alliance.com/index.php?details=136.243.5.215

How do block this IP to stop it from driving up my average users which determines by monthly bill?  I banned one in the ACP under the members tag but it didn't do anything.  The offending IP just kept driving up traffic with the same IP.

Any suggestions?

​Have a look at my application. It might helpful to you. I coded it originally for a client that had a similiar issue and it worked fine for him.

That's interesting.  Thank you.

Did you take a look at that IP I posted?  If not, could you please?  By looking at the info of the IP, what is your take on it?

​That IP resolves to a host in Germany. If I were you, and did not have access to the server firewall, I'd block this range in your .htaccess file:

136.x.x.0/24 - To keep this generic, I've redacted the IP a bit. Be sure to substitute the two X's with the actual numbers

Something like this should work, but you may need to edit it to suit your server, and if a similar block already exists, add only the "deny from" line, between or immediately below other deny from lines in the block:

order allow,deny
deny from 136.x.x.0/24
allow from all

Archived