Mod wanted: Tag Groups

Morrigan

Just because I know this will likely never be core I would love if someone made some sort of mod to be able to tag groups (with a setting to choose which groups can be tagged). That way an entire group can come to look at a post.

^_^ @Draffi Not what I mean. I mean like member tagging with the @symbol using it to tag in groups instead of individuals.

I know what you mean. When we used another popular forum software there was a mod for it.....There was also a mod made for IPB 3.4 that I purchased that allows us to presently use the @ to mention(that would be better than saying tag as a lot of people may get the actual topic tags mixed up lol) and it TECHNICALLY can allow you to do usergroup tagging.

I am glad that IPB4 has it built-in to the software but i'd love to see the ability to utilize membergroups  with them.​

You mean like a whole board member group, or custom arrangements of people into an ad-hoc group? How do the groups that are being tagged get managed?

​Well with the other software and also the IPB 3 add-on, you could restrict who could use it and what groups could be mentioned(meaning if you have a group with 1,000 members...that would be tedious on the server so you can disable it from being mentioned.

I honestly would love to see a developer take over that Ipb 3.X mod and expand it to 4.X(Hint hint kevin...lol) :D

Well, I'm currently waiting for IPS to release a stable version of 4.0 and get the bugs worked out of the marketplace to upload a beta version of an app I've been working on called Group Collaboration, which allows community members to create their own groups and manage memberships to them as well as "collaborate" to create their own content within that group.

This might be an add-on that would work better based on the "ad-hoc" community formed group concept rather than the inherit board level groups that people are assigned to.

• 2 months later...

For those still confused on this.

What I mean is tagging like @Moderators and it would notify moderators that they have been tagged into a topic. It would be especially important for teams that do specific tasks and members need to contact them in a staff contact type forum.

It would help me in managing my staff groups a lot easier instead of individually tagging each member into a topic.

For those still confused on this.

What I mean is tagging like @Moderators and it would notify moderators that they have been tagged into a topic. It would be especially important for teams that do specific tasks and members need to contact them in a staff contact type forum.

It would help me in managing my staff groups a lot easier instead of individually tagging each member into a topic.

​I want this :D

Can you make it? Hehe

• 2 years later...

That is sort of what we want @Simon Woods but not exactly.That mod is a dropdown that drops mentions into a post whereas you have the edit that on top of the groups. What I want is to tag @administrator or tag @modertaor or tag @patron and it would tag anyone within that group without having to individually tag or update something. I also don't feel it should the specific people tagged. The tag itself should accomplish everything without extra settings.

53 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

That is sort of what we want @Simon Woods but not exactly.That mod is a dropdown that drops mentions into a post whereas you have the edit that on top of the groups. What I want is to tag @administrator or tag @modertaor or tag @patron and it would tag anyone within that group without having to individually tag or update something. I also don't feel it should the specific people tagged. The tag itself should accomplish everything without extra settings.

It looks like the app does that, it just needs setting up in the first place; only, not continued maintenance but rather set it and forget it style, so you set up all of the account groups and then it's done.

It also looks like you can restrict this ability, therefore as the admin you can control all of it yourself, set up all of the group-defined sets and then not worry about anybody else messing with it.

Is that right, @newbie LAC?

I hope it works like this, since I have my eye on it to help with staffing and support. :)

Hello,

3 hours ago, Morrigan said:

What I want is to tag @administrator or tag @modertaor or tag @patron and it would tag anyone within that group without having to individually tag or update something

Ok. You write the text

@moderators

How I should to know what do you mean here? Text or member tag or group tag?

I don't understand why group tag @Administrators better then individual tags @Administrator1 @Administrator2 @Administrator3 etc?

10 hours ago, newbie LAC said:

Hello,

Ok. You write the text

@moderators

How I should to know what do you mean here? Text or member tag or group tag?

I don't understand why group tag @Administrators better then individual tags @Administrator1 @Administrator2 @Administrator3 etc?

I guess there would have to be a way to make sure no user can have the same name as a group. Then if statement in code, if user not exist try group.

16 minutes ago, superj707 said:

I guess there would have to be a way to make sure no user can have the same name as a group. Then if statement in code, if user not exist try group.

Oh I see now. Yeah I get it. I just don't have the issue of account names that are the same as group names.

That is a matter of the system. I could join a discord server as the name "everyone" and if I @everyone it will either allow me to tag @everyone or @everyone#3080 and if it tags the latter it will tag me directly else it will tag the literal everyone. This would be something that the software should be able to tell the difference between. It has a selector when tagging someone so it should be easy enough that says "Administrator (Group)" or "Administrator" which would be a member.

Allowing people to tag a group name means that the members don't have to learn every single staff members names. There are sites that I'm on that the staff changes so often that I would never be able to keep up with that. @newbie LAC

Morrigan, I see what you mean. Your idea is a really clean approach. Just as a side note to be fair, with newbies current mod there is no need to have members learning every single staff members name.  Choosing "moderators" could auto drop in 1 tag for each member in moderator group automatically.  It would just be cleaner to have 1 tag instead 1 tag for each member in group.  Especially if you have a group with several thousand members which is the case in one of my attempted uses. Several thousand tags in a post is quite unmanageable

21 minutes ago, Simon Woods said:

Oh so you can't have a tag that is a group name with the app. That's a shame.

It's a drop down like in the screen shots. You would choose moderators from the drop down and it would list each tag in that group and place them in your post.

Archived