Best way to backup only the database?

Hello!

Does someone know which is the best way to backup only the database without downtime? Downloading the whole site backup has become very big in size so I want to download the database more often than all the other files. I usually back it up using cPanel with the database download option but that gives an SQL error while the database is downloading so I was wondering if there was a better way?

Preferably in the sql.gz format but all other will do aslo. :)

Thank you. 

Hi Adrian :)

It is much better to use ssh commands or add a cron and not use the browser to backup your database.

For myisam tables you can use mysqlhotcopy or mysqldump with the option --opt --single-transaction.

For Innodb tables you can use Percona Xtrabackup or mysqldump with the option --opt --single-transaction.

For both you can get from the net a lot of tutorials as it is very easy to use :)

I'd use cPanel or phpMyAdmin (export function).

​cPanel causes downtime, not sure about phpMyAdmin.

Hi Adrian :)

It is much better to use ssh commands or add a cron and not use the browser to backup your database.

For myisam tables you can use mysqlhotcopy or mysqldump with the option --opt --single-transaction.

For Innodb tables you can use Percona Xtrabackup or mysqldump with the option --opt --single-transaction.

For both you can get from the net a lot of tutorials as it is very easy to use :)

​This seems useful! Setting up Cron Jobs with this is very useful! Does this cause downtime when backing up the database though?

Best Programm (for this job) ever!

http://www.mysqldumper.net/

​Seems nice. I'll give it a try on a test server! Does it eat up too many resources when backing up?

Archived