Pages: Promote to Article

Adriano Faria

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Lindy said:

You're just looking for promote a topic to article, correct? What you're looking for is going to dictate the timeline. I think we could work in promote topic to article fairly soon. 

This would be ideal for us, and links the topic to the article so that the replies show as comments.

4 hours ago, Lindy said:

You're just looking for promote a topic to article, correct? What you're looking for is going to dictate the timeline. I think we could work in promote topic to article fairly soon. 

Thanks Lindy! For me I want to switch my news forum article Topics to Pages Articles with the topic replies as article comments, so Promote to Article would be great and I could then delete the original topics so no duplicate content.

Doing it one at a time would be time consuming but possible (I have around 170 news topics), so it would be excellent if there was a bulk option version of Promote to Article in AdminCP, that perhaps could run as a background task until completed.

2 minutes ago, The Old Man said:

Thanks Lindy! For me I want to switch my news forum article Topics to Pages Articles with the topic replies as article comments, so Promote to Article would be great and I could then delete the original topics so no duplicate content.

That said, the option to delete should be admin configurable as not all of us want the original topic deleted. ?? By having the option you at least cater for both use cases.

5 hours ago, Lindy said:

Lindy, we've built a Reviews system using Pages.  We're moving the old reviews that were originally Forum Threads in to the new Reviews/Pages system, and what we would like to do is bring all replies over as well as turn that first forum post in to a database entry in Pages.  Let me explain a bit better with some images.

On the left is the Reviews built in Pages, on the right is an old legacy forum with past reviews.

Screen Shot 2016-08-22 at 5.07.47 PM.png

On the left is what a Review looks like in Pages, on the right is what it they originally looked like as a Forum Post.

Screen Shot 2016-08-22 at 5.07.08 PM.png

Right now I achieve this by...
1) Login to ACP
2) Add new Database Record
3) Copy/Paste all information
4) Fill out fields associated with the database
5) Under publish settings select the user
6) Save Record

Via phpMyAdmin/SequelPro etc....
7) Search "forums_posts" table by original thread ID
8) Change original post date/time in cms_custom_database_X to match thread ID first post
9) Copy all replies from "forums_posts" to "cms_comments"

Being able to take a forum thread, and convert that first topic in to a Pages Database Entry and taking all replies and moving them to that Entry would be brilliant eliminating the 9 steps above.

Pages is great, however moving content from the forum which is typically the biggest content generator on a community website to those Pages sections is quite a process.

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2016 at 5:13 AM, InsideEdge said:

I'd still like an option to keep all comments / reviews etc. in our Forums, with only the first post copied to be promoted to an article.  Only the best well-written forum first posts would be promoted for visibility.

I agree with this, this is one of the only things keeping me from purchasing the pages module right now.

• 1 year later...

Archived