Pages: Promote to Article

Adriano Faria

I agree that this feature is very useful when we can promote from a user interaction experience directly into a more constant article once the forum topic has advanced to a refined discussion,  In a way this allows collaboration of our users to jointly build a consensus and then if the topical discussion warrants a more permanent and pronounced placement on our IP.Content pages we would promote it along with some editing.

Another way to look at it is that within the various forums there are moderators and users that can begin topics of interest and once the discussion settles it is made into an article and placed for permanent viewing. Topics are freelance, but promoted articles are part of the collective site. 

I agree they should have an option to select a DB for placement vice just the Articles DB.  

Another feature we used when promoting was the inclusion of unique data fields that we added to the Articles DB.  We were then able to filter on these new fields when we created blocks.  This allowed us to tailor the IP.Content presentation through filtering on these fields.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well for me it's simple. Many people basically creates junk, and I don't want to review for approval that stuff directly as an article. If I see someone creates an interesting and good topic, then we promote it.

Well for me it's simple. Many people basically creates junk, and I don't want to review for approval that stuff directly as an article. If I see someone creates an interesting and good topic, then we promote it.

Very good point, and I have the same issue looking at how we used to run articles using Joomla on our old community platform and how we want to use IP.Pages for those articles.  Having members submit directly in to the community creates discussion, being able to promote that to a IP.Pages article means we can be more selective.  The issue sometimes with people submitting directly in to an articles system is also emotional, if you don't approve the article some individuals either lose motivation to submit content or are just outright displeased with the situation. 

Although as as site admin/owner I prefer to use articles, for users which are not used to it, forum is still the main focus. I think articles keeping comment on forums or topics promoted to articles serve both purposes.

When I first converted to IPB, I used only articles for homepage news but I realised that very few liked or commented. As soon as I used promotion or started keeping comments as topics the interest on the subject has risen..

Adriano if Invision do not corm up with such a facility is it something that you could possibly consider developing? There seems a lot of interest and a relatively cheap Mod which would meet the needs of the community might be viable?

We use it for our "Reader Reviews" section.  Mostly, there are just a bunch of us admins that write the car review, but occasionally, a lay-user will write up a car that they drove recently and we will promote that to an article.

I also have one mod who refuses to use the articles system for reasons beyond understanding. When he posts his articles in his Tesla and Fisker forums, I manually promote them to the front page.

I am in the process of migrating to 4. We have several years worth of nicely written/formatted posts (short stories, poems, tutorials) that really should be articles. I've been copy and pasting for a couple days now. This would be a useful tool for me.

Do you always just promote the first post, or do you promote random posts through the topic? I'm just trying to understand this feature better.

For me, mostly first post but within a discussion there may be posts that really serve to be knowledgebase for a more general subject and be worth promoting.

This is how I used this in 3.x.

Someone creates an interesting topic with some news information in its first post. I promote the first post of that topic to the frontpage as a record, this promoted record stores comments in the topic it was promoted from.

It becomes reduntant having the same content as comments/posts, but this way people can see interesting content right in the front page and participate from there.

The problem with this was that regular users who got their topic promoted, went ahead and just edited their post in the topic, and the changes did not translate to the record.

You had to edit the record itself to have both instances updated.

If the promoted article is edited than the stored post is also edited. On my site I only allow 30 minutes of editing permission to the owner. After that a mod is needed and they know they have to edit article/record instead of topic.

This is how I used this in 3.x.

Someone creates an interesting topic, like some news information. I promote the first post of that topic to the frontpage as a record, this promoted record stores comments in the topic it was promoted from.

It becomes reduntant having the same content as comments/posts, but this way people can see interesting content right in the front page and participate from there.

The problem with this was that regular users who got their topic promoted, went ahead and just edited their post in the topic, and the changes  did not translate to the record.

You had to edit the record itself to have both instances updated.

What I am wondering for some time is that how is such topics / articles are treated by Google where they have exactly the same contect in two different URLs..

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was just wishing for this feature over the weekend as well, since our community came up with some great topics that I wanted to promote as a new article.  

v4.1 rolled out updates to the "core."  I think eventually we'll see new features and updates to other apps as IPS shifts attention to each specific application.  

Archived