Old database for new IPB4 test site

jhutch

I thought this would be possible, but I'm running into some errors. So I'm starting over and trying again.... maybe some of you guys can help. Basically, I want to run a test site with the new Forums and Pages - but I want to be testing it with a ton of content on my live site. 

____

I went in and made a duplicate of my live IPB board database. Renamed it and such. 

Then I uploaded all the files for IPB4. Installed IPB 4 and used the new database information for the install. 

I was hoping to at least see all the registered members and posts, but I'm not seeing anything except a handful of errors. 

What do I need to to? (outside of upgrading my live site, which I don't want to do for obvious reasons)

What are those error messages, any screenshots or link you can supply, is it a copy of the config file of the live site? Have you change the upload paths, have you changed the directory in the config file?

You say it's a copy of the database did you copy this within phpmyadmin or did you export then import?

What are those error messages, any screenshots or link you can supply, is it a copy of the config file of the live site? Have you change the upload paths, have you changed the directory in the config file?

You say it's a copy of the database did you copy this within phpmyadmin or did you export then import?

​I've deleted it and started over so I don't have the error messages on hand. I can get them. Wanted to make sure there wasn't something I needed to do first. 

When I made a copy of the database, I did it through phpmyadmin. Then ran a normal install, but used the new database I had just made. So I didn't copy/change any config files or anything else. I just installed the board like you normally would, but installed it on a database that had ton of stuff in it already. 

Should I try it again, and just post the errors I run into?

The database needs to be called from the config file, if the database isn't called then nothing will be pulled from it. The directory for the install also needs to be changed in the config file.

download a copy of your live config file locally, edit it accordingly and reupload it.

'sql_database' => 'database name',
  'sql_user' => 'database username',
  'sql_pass' => 'database password',
  'board_url' => 'url to installation directory',

Once you have done that, then go to yourdomain/admin/upgrade and perform the upgrade routine, convert the database to UTF8 or UTF8MB if required.

It sounds like all you did was a fresh install into the database, rather than an upgrade (which is what you appear to want to do).

• Management

If the file has the correct permissions, it will populate the file for you but I fear there's confusion here -- a fresh install will overwrite whatever is in the database. If you have a same-version instance of IPS4 and you want to test it on a different database with your existing, simply copy the database then open conf_global.php and edit the database details and the $INFO['board_url'] path (you'll also want to update paths and testinstall license key in the AdminCP as well.) If you have an IP.Board 3 installation, you'll want to do the above and then run the upgrader - not the installer. 

• 3 years later...

Hello, I tried to follow the above, however am unsure if I am trying to do the same thing as jhutch.

We have a 'live' forum (LF), and I have just installed a Test Forum (TF) as a fresh install.

Now I would like to copy the LF database and use it for the Test Forum. 

Database usernames and passwords are the same for the LF DB and the TF database.

I have done this in the past (2013 and 2014) and all I needed to do was to 'Copy' the LF database TO the TF database in my hosting plesk, then Reimport application hooks.  And voila, our TF was a duplicate of the LF at the time I made the copy of the database.

However this no longer works.  When I do it now, the forum is basically empty, and although my username and pw are the same, I can't actually login.

Would appreciate any help.

PS.  For some reason I can't access my old 'dNetAus' account here.  It automatically made me create a new account.

6 minutes ago, Leanne Pethick said:

However this no longer works. 

It should still work. The data in the config file (database connection / file paths) need to be correct. That’s basically it. You probably made a mistake somewhere, but its impossible to tell without inspecting it all on your server. 

On 7/25/2018 at 5:54 AM, Leanne Pethick said:

Hello, I tried to follow the above, however am unsure if I am trying to do the same thing as jhutch.

We have a 'live' forum (LF), and I have just installed a Test Forum (TF) as a fresh install.

Now I would like to copy the LF database and use it for the Test Forum. 

Database usernames and passwords are the same for the LF DB and the TF database.

I have done this in the past (2013 and 2014) and all I needed to do was to 'Copy' the LF database TO the TF database in my hosting plesk, then Reimport application hooks.  And voila, our TF was a duplicate of the LF at the time I made the copy of the database.

However this no longer works.  When I do it now, the forum is basically empty, and although my username and pw are the same, I can't actually login.

Would appreciate any help.

PS.  For some reason I can't access my old 'dNetAus' account here.  It automatically made me create a new account.

This indicates that you may have two sets of Invision database tables, one without a prefix, and no data on those tables (fresh install) and one using a prefix perhaps which is where your data is? if so set the conf_global.php file to use the prefix of your tables with the data.  I would also clear out the duplicate empty tables if that is the case to avoid this confusion and keep things clean.

Archived