Specifically V3 VS V4

SJ77

I am glad that V4 is well on it's way but can anyone give me a simple answer what specifically IP V4 brings verses the IP V3 I have now?

Obviously cosmetically it looks a bit different but it's seems from a function perspective it does (and doesn't do) all of the same things.

Thank you in advance.

Yes thank you. I am aware of the blogs. I tried scrolling through them before I made this post. It's (as you said) a TON. I am not looking for granular detail, just a high level description.

Can anyone provide me a simple bullet list of the main differences, benefits and features?

You can't expect someone who's considering if it's worth it to upgrade to dig through a mountain of technical jargon and the rest of it. We need a simple highlight reel to look through, then we can dig into any of the talking points if they are important to us. 

You can't expect someone who's considering if it's worth it to upgrade to dig through a mountain of technical jargon and the rest of it. We need a simple highlight reel to look through, then we can dig into any of the talking points if they are important to us.  marketing 101 guys

​Well seeing as the software isn't available yet. There is no marketing yet public for it by IPS.

That's what the blogs are for. I mean you don't have to dive in to get the jist of what is going on and the new features.

​you know what I think would help me to get the gist of what is going on? A bulleted list! If you are unwilling or unable to provide what I am requesting here, why even bother replying to this thread? Just let it alone so someone who wishes to answer my questions can do so

What I personally like about the change is -->

• The entire thing is recoded. Therefore, 4.0 is literally a lot cleaner beyond simply the design.
  • Amazon S3 CAN be used for any or all storage rather than FTP (which is practically obsolete when you try to find a compatible service). When I originally read that some months ago I was so excited- and now using it I continue to be excited.
  • You can visually build how your sidebars, top bars, and bottoms bars (like if you want a users online bar on the bottom you'd just drag one down there). You can also visually edit the post boxes with different arrangements of buttons and separators.
  • The entire site seems to work very nicely with mobile, tablet and regular without any additional plugin or overhead from 3rd-party.
  • I haven't used many of the other apps yet but will soon.

Be advised, I feel like the dashboard is harder to navigate from time to time. Just seems like things are missing or in other menus from where I'd expect them to be. Then I'd search for it and it may or may not show up.

It's really a lot of changes all over the place. Which is why they recommended you look at the blogs since it's not a simple answer- there's changes in all the apps that you wouldn't just get from a gist.

Nothing wrong with pointing out in a constructive way why one might think the thread is not effective, the rule of "abide by my exact wish or get out" feels a little too strict.

There's plenty of documentation available regarding the differences, and everyone's take on them is a little different, so the best way to get through it is to take 20 minutes to go through them, so you can get your idea, rather than someone else's.

As for my take on the upgrade, it's a lot of reasons, but it just comes down to: a recent framework compared to a 5 year old one. It results in subtle and not-so-subtle changes in everything.

There's so many new features, to write them all would be an extremely long list!

My favourite features are:

• Totally responsive design that looks great on any size device and matching gorgeous email templates.
  • Fully what-you-see-is-what-you-get editor with drag-and-drop uploading, automatic saving, embedded content and @mentions that is totally customisable with support for any CKEditor plugin or custom buttons.
  • Global customisable sidebar and header/footer areas.
  • Vastly improved search engine with "Search Everything".
  • Delta updates.
  • Great features for large sites including Memcached support including full-page caching for guests and Amazon S3 file storage option.
  • 3rd party plugins can now hook at any point in the code.
  • Totally UTF-8 and full internationalisation support including quick translating, multiple currencies in Commerce and more (and everything is UTF8).

For more information, have a read of the blog entries, or even better, download the beta and take a look! :D 

UTF-8 MB4 :wub:

Will be good when I can finally stop doing all that utf8_encode and utf8_decode nonsense in our API-calls and other custom scripts we provide for inclusion on other sites. We found we even had to do the utf8_encode twice when we submit things to the IPB API, one time before actually submitting a request (in the external code) and then another time inside the API methods in IPB itself (Which we had to do custom changes too) for some really weird reason. 

Personally my favorites are autosave on tabbing in the translation area and live translation mode. Then there's also mentions and of course the editor "auto-save" — it's brilliant, never lose a post again! (at least much much much less prone to error) 

​you know what I think would help me to get the gist of what is going on? A bulleted list! If you are unwilling or unable to provide what I am requesting here, why even bother replying to this thread? Just let it alone so someone who wishes to answer my questions can do so

There's so many new features, to write them all would be an extremely long list!

Exactly, thank you Mark.

I'm not trying to be a dick but the information is out there, you just have to do a little research to get it the whole picture ;) 

I wasn't asking for an exhaustive list.  The request in this thread is for people to provide a bullet highlight list of their favorite or key differences between the 2 versions. I don't want to "research" (nor do I have time).  I want to make a thread and ask for top level highlights, which I've done.

Thank you to those who have contributed. Much appreciated.

I wasn't asking for an exhaustive list.  The request in this thread is for people to provide a bullet highlight list of their favorite or key differences between the 2 versions. I don't want to "research" (nor do I have time).  I want to make a thread and ask for top level highlights, which I've done.

Thank you to those who have contributed. Much appreciated.

Which is totally understandable, people don't mean to be rude or such, it's just that this is a forum filled with people with technical knowledge, people who've been checking those blog posts for months ;)

My favourite features are:

• Totally responsive design that looks great on any size device and matching gorgeous email templates.
  • Fully what-you-see-is-what-you-get editor with drag-and-drop uploading, automatic saving, embedded content and @mentions that is totally customisable with support for any CKEditor plugin or custom buttons.
  • Global customisable sidebar and header/footer areas.
  • Vastly improved search engine with "Search Everything".
  • Delta updates.
  • Great features for large sites including Memcached support including full-page caching for guests and Amazon S3 file storage option.
  • 3rd party plugins can now hook at any point in the code.
  • Totally UTF-8 and full internationalisation support including quick translating, multiple currencies in Commerce and more (and everything is UTF8).

For more information, have a read of the blog entries, or even better, download the beta and take a look! :D 

​I hope it'l be just as skinnable as IPB3 (if not more so, many iPB3 themes seemed to look alike). I honestly have to say I think this design is really unattractive, that's my personal taste. I'd hate it if all themes were going to be variations of this. The rest of the stuff seems awesome though. I've read a stuff on IPSConnect before, and that's my favourite change. SSO throughout multiple websites, now that's a welcome change to me. The amount of quality (and affordable) mods, and the diversity of mods, took a huge nosedive in my opinion when switching from IPB2 to IPB3. It changed from a largely free modbase with all kinds of oddness (from TeamSpeak 3 syncs to entire freaking games and so on) to mostly basic things, often for a price. I really hope the changes to the plugin system will reverse that, if it makes it even worse this won't be a viable software for me, for one.

Archived