[IPS 4.0] [Beta 5] Usability problems in CK Editor

motomac

Why do you put these three absolutely useless buttons into editor by default instead of much more useful like spoilermedia/video, clear formattinghr?

useless_buttons.thumb.png.ca26576ee7488b

And where is the option to use additional BB-codes like acronym and others?

Insert other media button's location is hard to find. Most of users are looking for editing functions at the top of editor block (near other buttons). Not at the bottom (upload image) and even not at the bottom right (insert other media).

main_attention_area.thumb.png.a574c116bb

And compare with Wordpress. Everything important is on the right place:

wordpress.thumb.png.8bc5ab07afceeea50270

By the way, link's color is almost similar with other text, It's hard to find links in the text when rapidly viewing. Try to count links in this small text:

The garden warbler (Sylvia borin) is a common small bird that breeds in most of Europe and in western Asia. It is a plain, long-winged and long-tailed typical warbler with brown upperparts and dull white underparts; the sexes are similar and juveniles resemble the adults. The garden warbler's rich melodic song is similar to that of the blackcap, its closest relative, which competes with it for territory when nesting in the same woodland. The preferred breeding habitat in Eurasia is open woodland with dense low cover for nesting; despite its name, gardens are rarely occupied by this small passerine bird. The clutch of four or five blotched cream or white eggs is laid in a robust cup-shaped nest built near the ground and concealed by dense vegetation. The chicks fledge about 10 days after hatching, and only about a quarter of young birds survive their first year. The species winters in sub-Saharan Africa. Insects are the main food in the breeding season, although fruit predominates when birds are fattening prior to migration, figs being a particular favourite where available. Predators include Eurasian sparrowhawks and domestic cats. Despite a small population decline in much of its European range, the bird's breeding distribution is expanding northwards in Scandinavia.

It wasn't easy, right? There are 6 links.

And in CK Editor it's bad decision to replace "choose files" button with so soft color link. Why don't you use colorful big button "CHOOSE FILE"?

upload_image.thumb.png.e9537a98fbb528463

To change image alignment (big thanks for adding this option!) you should double-click on image. It's not intuitive too. Much better would be to add an icon in image when mouse hover or focus. Look at Wordpress:

wordpress_image.thumb.png.34da192eef6e52

I hope, you will fix these problems before IPS 4.0 release.

P.S. "Notify me of replies" option doesn't send me letters. Apparently it doesn't work.

Why do you put these three absolutely useless buttons into editor by default instead of much more useful like spoilermedia/video, clear formattinghr?

useless_buttons.thumb.png.ca26576ee7488b

I can't see the image, but this is very individual. I've never used hr for example. I feel that their default editor buttons are fine, but this is something you can modify for your site in the admin panel for IPS 4. You can also install additional CKEditor plugins. 

You find these options in Customization > Editor > Toolbars. This is a drag and drop process, in the image you'll see I've already started to drag the "Spoiler"-button up.

Skjermbilde%202015-01-14%20kl.%2000.10.1

Most videos should be auto-parsed if you paste the link on it's own line. So if you press 'enter', then paste the link, and then press 'enter' again, it should auto-parse. You can try this with a Youtube-video for example.

By the way, link's color is almost similar with other text, It's hard to find links in the text when rapidly viewing. Try to count links in this small text:

Hidden Content

I agree that they should change the default link color and / or add underline for links in post content. I provided feedback on this on the preview board. 

Sorry for missed images. Reuploaded.

useless_buttons.thumb.png.daab927421c4e5

Insert other media button's location is hard to find. Most of users are looking for editing functions at the top of editor block (near other buttons). Not at the bottom (upload image) and even not at the bottom right (insert other media).

main_attention.thumb.png.b4e34339f54308f

And compare with Wordpress. Everything important is on the right place:

wordpress.thumb.png.8bc5ab07afceeea50270

The garden warbler (Sylvia borin) is a common small bird that breeds in most of Europe and in western Asia. It is a plain, long-winged and long-tailed typical warbler with brown upperparts and dull white underparts; the sexes are similar and juveniles resemble the adults. The garden warbler's rich melodic song is similar to that of the blackcap, its closest relative, which competes with it for territory when nesting in the same woodland. The preferred breeding habitat in Eurasia is open woodland with dense low cover for nesting; despite its name, gardens are rarely occupied by this small passerine bird. The clutch of four or five blotched cream or white eggs is laid in a robust cup-shaped nest built near the ground and concealed by dense vegetation. The chicks fledge about 10 days after hatching, and only about a quarter of young birds survive their first year. The species winters in sub-Saharan Africa. Insects are the main food in the breeding season, although fruit predominates when birds are fattening prior to migration, figs being a particular favourite where available. Predators include Eurasian sparrowhawks and domestic cats. Despite a small population decline in much of its European range, the bird's breeding distribution is expanding northwards in Scandinavia.

And in CK Editor it's bad decision to replace "choose files" button with so soft color link. Why don't you use colorful big button "CHOOSE FILE"?

choose_files_button.thumb.png.36081e1316

To change image alignment (big thanks for adding this option!) you should double-click on image. It's not intuitive too. Much better would be to add an icon in image when mouse hover or focus. Look at Wordpress:

wordpress_image.thumb.png.34da192eef6e52

I hope, you will fix these problems before IPS 4.0 release.

P.S. "Notify me of replies" option doesn't send me letters. Apparently it doesn't work.

Archived