Language-specific posts?

Meddysong

I'm a big, big fan of the internationalisation features that the IPS team have worked hard to incorporate. I love that I can have language-specific forums, categories and descriptions, and that the default one carries if I don't want to enter anything in the second language.

The only piece of the pie missing is being able to make optional language-specific posts. I'm well aware that the answer to this is likely to be "no, not possible" for a variety of practical reasons, but I wondered whether it might be possible to work a way around with a language string or something (which I doubt, since I assume it's not possible to enter parsable code in a post).

The reason that I'm asking is that in my bilingual forum I'm setting up a members-only section that will allow people to nominate themselves for trusteeship of our charity, a position carrying legal and financial responsibility. What I'd prefer to do is pin a topic at the top explaining the responsibilities and the procedure for becoming a candidate, ie "Candidates must have a proposer and seconder, so if you would like to be considered, create a topic and explain why. If you would like to propose or second a person, reply to their topic to say so."

I evidently have to write all this in both languages and it risks being a fair chunk of text, so it would be ideal if I could have language-specific content. It's a long-shot, but is it possible in any way?

It's not the end of the world if I can't. I could always resort to spoiler tags to save space :)

Maybe you can try with Pages .. where you have your selection of languages and a certain outcome specific to the language ..

I'm not an expert on Pages .. but as flexible Pages can deliver data .. the answer could be there ..

​Pages cant do that either. What people are looking for is the ability to write content specific for the language selected. This is possible but then the script needs to be extended, you'll need to couple content to a language either by making editor boxes for every language or a selector where you say its for that language.

The vast majority of end users are not going to submit content in multiple languages, so the value of this is quite low globally I imagine.  Administrators might be willing to do so, but if I'm posting on your forum - I wouldn't (even if I knew both languages).

Yep, I get that, Brandon, and so that's why I'm asking for alternatives techniques, since I don't want to have two separate pinned threads with quite lengthy content for the same thing. (You might have skim-read my first post, but what I'm after isn't a feature by which people are expected to submit the same thing in different languages, but where I have to set out some guidelines in a pinned thread.)

I think the easiest solution in the absence of separation is just to write both bunches of text and spoiler them, indicating which hidden text contains which language. That way the other language only takes up a line of the page when reading.

The vast majority of end users are not going to submit content in multiple languages, so the value of this is quite low globally I imagine.  Administrators might be willing to do so, but if I'm posting on your forum - I wouldn't (even if I knew both languages).

​I think the majority knows that forum users will not translate posts, but that is beyond the scope of this request we are asking for Pages, Blogs, Album etc that it would be possible to activate this at least then you have a powerful system.

You could probably add a custom bbcode for this to facilitate it for users who are posting.

​Ah, well, if you've got a spare few minutes and are looking for something to do ... ;)

It'd be even better if I could manage it with text for "Reveal hidden contents" in Language 1 for the spoiler around L1 text and in Language 2 for the L2 case. But that would just be icing on the cake, really.

That's a nice solution :)  I like the flags there too,

You could probably add a custom bbcode for this to facilitate it for users who are posting.

​What i dont understand you make something like language selection available in IPB4 that is a great improvement because now people do not have to select or look for there language on an site. But why is no body smart enough at IPB to build upon that, its logical that with Pages, Blogs, Albums and Commerce language selection would be a great thing to have. Can you imagine this that information can be given in different languages without the need to make multiple sites or hack the script. Also now when the user is registered the usercp takes over the language selection why not the option use browser default.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, fellas -

I've just thought of a clear example where it would be necessary to distinguish language in content; building a block with the WYSIWYG editor.

Consider this, for example:

YisXs.thumb.jpg.888374814e5b3a09041f5118

I accept that it's maybe not possible to have multilingual values (ie value1 = "Closed" in L1 but displays as "Fermita" in L2) but surely the descriptions should display in L2 to a L2-user. "Closed = Eĥosono aŭ opinio pli taŭga afiŝita en la forumo por diskutado."

Is there a way to accommodate this? It's quite a glaring hole in what would otherwise be a site presented wholly in L1 or L2.

Archived