How To Emulate The Bug Tracker?

Meddysong

​I've been asking for this as well, but they don't seem interested. It's sad because that's pretty normal for support tickets......

​Guys! There is a way to make it happen. It's sort of a dirty bypass and it might not be suitable for everyone, but it works and we are rolling with this solution.

Basically just set up your database the way you want - categories, fields and stuff. Once this is done, go to your databases in Admin CP -> Pages -> Databases. Select Edit on the database you want to modify. Options tab -> Moderate New Records. This option forces all new records in that database for approval, which means it will stay hidden until it gets approved. While it's pending approval, every person that has been given the rights to see hidden records can see them, including the person that made it, but no one else can see it. I assume that only staff groups have been given then ability to see hidden content  - this is how we have our groups set and this is why it works for us. This ability is controlled in Admin CP -> Members -> Moderators. Clicking Edit on any of the groups or individual person will open up permission tabs. The one you are interested in is in Content tab -> Can view all hidden content. If this is checked, the group/person can view all records. If this is not checked, you get a fancy extra tab for your database (ours is named "Applications") where you can control if the group/person can see records. (The tab can appear for other disabled "all" settings as well).

settings.thumb.PNG.aa2ab443a43ba4e2507ac

The only downside is that there is a little circle on every application (including in Admin CP) that says "Pending Approval", but considering the possibilities this bypass gives I believe it is acceptable. You can also keep records "Pending Approval" indefinitely (at least as far as I can tell). I hope at least some of you will find it useful and suitable.

Big thanks goes to IPB Staff for not approving my bug reports in Bug Tracker - without their slackishness (I mean well :rofl:) it would have probably taken me longer to come up with that idea. 

• 1 month later...

But what do you want? There is really nothing to it. Even if they provide the database file, you would need to go to the process of setting it up, which takes as much knowledge and time as doing it from scratch. The only thing custom about the bug tracker is the color coded status phrases. The code for that was posted many times here already. 

When have people stopped substantiating claims with reason?

​I sympathise with your frustration about this point, Ralf, but I don't think your analogy necessarily holds here.

I started this thread and didn't get the explanations that I would have liked to receive. I wasn't familiar with Content and had no reason to understand what was underpinning the bug tracker. (Meaning, I didn't understand that it was a database, that each "post" is something called a record, that the labels for pending etc were created in something called a field.) I picked it together using the link the Mycota posted and some trial and error, but it would've been much more productive, I think, to have had an explanation somewhere like the one that I set up in the middle of this thread.

It wouldn't have been a case of somebody just giving me the fish. It would've been teaching me too, just without the frustration. Whether I learn to apply that knowledge when fishing in different seas and in other conditions would've been up to me, of course.

Always hate being left in the dark, Need to buckle this thread up with a final explanation to finish a complete tracker. For now so the part I was looking for I got figured out

On your tracker page create a wysiwyg box in the sidebar and put this code into it

Change the color of the tags by selecting a different ipsBadge_style. You can find your badge styles listed in your templates under Global > Framework > Badges.css

<p><strong>Status Definitions</strong></p><br/><br/>
<div class="ipsBadge ipsBadge_style2">OPEN</div> = Reported / Work in progress.<br/><br/>
<div class="ipsBadge ipsBadge_style3">CLOSED</div> = The issue has been closed. No further action to be taken<br/><br/>
<div class="ipsBadge ipsBadge_style1">FIXED</div> = The issue has been fixed and the resolution will be available in the next version.

And you know, there's more than likely a better way to do this and if so feel free to share it, I'm no code guru, figured this myself and am leaving what I got for someone who is looking for some kind of answer.

Whipped one of these bad boys up myself, wasn't too bad at all!  I wish you could set pre-defined tags for people to choose from, however, I just created an extra field to take care of what I was going to use tags for.

SiteDev3.thumb.PNG.9feef052a47f6d26a2d30

On another note, I remember seeing a guide somewhere on how to add in more colors to the badge.  I can just add them into Badge.css right? (with all the blue themes, IPS forgot to add a blue badge!

Edit:

On 

.ipsBadge_intermediary, .ipsBadge_style7 {
	background: #cbb641;
}

I know I need to change .ipsBadge_style7 to .ipsBadge_style8 and change the hex code, but what is the best thing to change .ipsBadge_intermediary, or can i just remove that when adding in extra badge styles?

I can just add them into Badge.css right?

Better yet: use the custom.css. 

.ipsBadge_intermediary, .ipsBadge_style7 {
	background: #cbb641;
}

I know I need to change .ipsBadge_style7 to .ipsBadge_style8 and change the hex code, but what is the best thing to change .ipsBadge_intermediary, or can i just remove that when adding in extra badge styles?

​Here too, you can override these defaults separately in the custom.css. 

​And I tried to explain, that it doesn’t work like that. 

Besides: it’s a classic case of “give a man a fish or teach a man how to fish” …

​The way the world is now, it harder to fish. If we look at what is up for docs, one can see that there close to nothing for IP.Content right now. So other than just trying and doing that cause problems and turns people away. But having source materials to learn from and with helps. So this would run the lines of you telling me to fish but it take longer for me to fish without people telling how to do it and I die because I couldn't do it and I didn't learn fast to get it done. Yes one can ask the boards but many a times code assistant/learning goes unheard in the forums.

​The way the world is now, it harder to fish. If we look at what is up for docs, one can see that there close to nothing for IP.Content right now. So other than just trying and doing that cause problems and turns people away. But having source materials to learn from and with helps. So this would run the lines of you telling me to fish but it take longer for me to fish without people telling how to do it and I die because I couldn't do it and I didn't learn fast to get it done. Yes one can ask the boards but many a times code assistant/learning goes unheard in the forums.

​I think many members in this thread have done good at teaching others how to fish.  I did pretty much all of it first, then came into the thread to "verify" my method matched what was being discussed here.

Better yet: use the custom.css. 

​Here too, you can override these defaults separately in the custom.css. 

​I'll take a look into those, thank you!

I have a quick question on the display templates. 

I am also using this code:

{{if ($value=='Open')}}
<span class="ipsBadge ipsBadge_style1 ipsPos_right">Open</span>
{{elseif ($value=='Closed')}}
<span class="ipsBadge ipsBadge_style2 ipsPos_right">Closed</span>
{{elseif ($value=='Pending')}}
<span class="ipsBadge ipsBadge_style3 ipsPos_right">Pending</span>
{{endif}}

Which works great for select box.  However, I have a need for using select box allow multiple.  How could I alter this to display multiples, i.e. both Open and Closed are selected in the select box?  This isn't being used for Open/Closed, just using those as examples, its being used as an "assigned to" feild, so if a task is assigned to multiple people I would like it to display all the names that are selected in the multiple selection of the select box.

Try:

{{foreach explode(",", $value) as $name}}
{{if trim( $name )=='Open'}}
{{elseif ($name=='Closed')}}
{{elseif ($name=='Pending')}}
{{endforeach}}

Any good?

• 3 years later...
On 4/19/2015 at 9:47 PM, Meddysong said:

Try:

{{endforeach}}

Any good?

I know this is an old topic just needed to add an {{endif}} as it will error on save due to html syntax error, the below works for me

{{endif}}
{{endforeach}}

• 3 months later...

I don't have it on my site anymore but it used the default templates for Pages Databases anyway. The only thing I created were the fields ('Open', 'Closed', 'Pending'). That's easy to do. Mine were customised so that the colour was different for each one. You can see the code to do that above your post.

Archived