Language selection

We are Borg

Why is the language not selected based upon browser settings, this is nothing new its all ready a few years old. When you select language based upon browser settings you can do fun stuff like Articles in different languages and only show what is available or show everything but where the settings show native language first. This can be used for articles, download, gallery and blogs you only need to provide additional fields where you can put in the translation so the system knows what language it is.

In 4.0, we automatically examine the information that the user's browser sends (which includes their preferred language) to choose the best one out of what's available, if that user hasn't already set an explicit preference.

http://community.invisionpower.com/blogs/entry/9556-ips-40-internationalization-and-localization/ 

I specially installed the latest English version of Firefox. It works

You can report bug in IPS4 Bug Tracker

Your welcome to try it at http://www.jeroenpil.com The languages are Dutch and English if you are trying Dutch the menu word Calendar reads as Kalender that's the only word that is translated for testing this feature. I can switch between English and Dutch without any errors but it will not select the correct language based on browser and i made sure i was not logged in.

I have tried with Chrome, Firefox and IE11 they all do the same thing that is use default language only. When i go to this site http://www.albertcasadessus.com/wp-content/uploads/getlang_example.php i get the following "Your browser preferred language is: nl" this is correct my default language in the browsers is NL. So why is IPB4 not sending the correct language trough.

I have run the script to check if the server can run IPB 4 and i get this:

You are ready to install IPS Community Suite 4.0, but not IP.Nexus.

IP.Nexus i do not use so that does not matter, the MySQL i get a warning that the best version is 5.6.0 but that is not yet in a package so i need to wait for that one. All the other once i get a green light.

I am going to run the installer in the weekend so i can look what's happening.

Add this php script in your forum root directory and then visit it in your browser

<?php

$language = null;

if( isset( $_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE'] ) )
        {
            if( mb_strpos( $_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE'], ',' ) )
            {
                $language    = explode( ',', $_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE'] );

$language    = $language[0];
            }
            else
            {
                $language    = $_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE'];
            }
        }

var_dump( $language );

What do you get?

• 2 years later...

Hello @bfarber

I would like to disable this option

"We preselect a language based on your HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE browser header.  If your browser doesn't send one or sends one that doesn't match an installed language, the default language is used."

I have already installed a free plugin that makes/forces the guests  see the forum in the default selected language  and

i also want all membergroups to also bypass this feature.

explanation why - in greece many people have english browsers because this makes the usage much easier - greek words are long. 

having english browser does not necessarily mean  they should be reading the forum in english. 

our default member language is x (greek) not english, so  I would like the default to really mean default , even if the user does have other languages in his browser, on his pc, or wherever. 

do i need to seek another plugin for that or is there an option for this to happen ?

I think its good to have all these technical features, but there should be an option for admin to choose if he really needs to use them. 

maybe up to now something has changed!?

14 minutes ago, MeMaBlue said:

Hello @bfarber

"We preselect a language based on your HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE browser header.  If your browser doesn't send one or sends one that doesn't match an installed language, the default language is used."

I have already installed a free plugin that makes/forces the guests  see the forum in the default selected language  and

explanation why - in greece many people have english browsers because this makes the usage much easier - greek words are long. 

having english browser does not necessarily mean  they should be reading the forum in english. 

our default member language is x (greek) not english, so  I would like the default to really mean default , even if the user does have other languages in his browser, on his pc, or wherever. 

do i need to seek another plugin for that or is there an option for this to happen ?

I think its good to have all these technical features, but there should be an option for admin to choose if he really needs to use them. 

You would need a plugin I'm afraid.

• 5 months later...
On 4/20/2017 at 2:27 PM, MeMaBlue said:

Hello @bfarber

Did u find some solution to turn that detection off ? Same problem here, everyone uses eng browser locale but forum language should be something different.

Archived