Desktop browser, stuck in mobile view in IPS forums

crabpaws

I'm using Firefox 34.0.5 on a Mac OS 10.10.1 desktop, I'm stuck in the mobile view.

I don't see any controls to switch to desktop, where are they?

​There are no buttons as the theme is responsive (window size of your browser).

Increase the size of your browser window.

I am finding I need to maximize my window to get the desktop view. Even slightly minimized, I get the mobile view.

Having a rigid maximized window open is not the way I work, I generally have a dozen or so of various sizes open at once.

I've got a 17" monitor, don't tell me the responsive version of IPBoard doesn't allow for this. I surf all over the Web and don't run into getting stuck in mobile view.

That...would do it. To be fair that is no longer a common desktop resolution so it's hard to blame IPS for focusing on current/future trends.

Like it has been said here/elsewhere, a site administrator can turn off responsive for the default skin. I started a discussion that a few of the primary IPS skin designers chimed in on re: whether they were going responsive with their skins and most if not all said they were so you'll see this problem on other sites probably going forward.

One possible solution would be for IPS to push the on/off switch for responsive to the front end user side rather than ACP admin side. It shouldn't be too hard of a change but I wouldn't expect it to show up if it were to until 4.1 or 4.2. Maybe an IPS staff member can chime in here on the feasibility of this.

For reference, one of many sites to chart desktop resolutions of visitors: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_Display.asp

January 2013 your resolution was 9% of the visitors

The start of this past year (January 2014) it was 6%.

I would imagine when that stat is updated for 2015 in a few weeks it will be 3% or less.

+1 to Ian.

I think it should be possible to determine the cut-off oneself. And the same is true for handling mobile devices.

Most people on my sites, when accessing with mobile devices, want ALL functionality to be there. It is like being forced into a straightjacket, I am afraid.

Could it possibly be made into a configurable member group setting?

Kind regards, Wim

For reference, one of many sites to chart desktop resolutions of visitors: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_Display.asp

January 2013 your resolution was 9% of the visitors

The start of this past year (January 2014) it was 6%.

I would imagine when that stat is updated for 2015 in a few weeks it will be 3% or less.

​According to the introduction on the page to which you referred, http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_Display.asp:

"W3Schools.com is for people with an interest for web technologies. This fact indicates that the numbers below might not be 100% true for the average internet users. The average internet-user might have a lower screen resolution."

Visitors to W3Schools.com are probably tech professionals, tech students, or tech hobbyists. Believe it or not, these do not constitute a majority of the population in any part of the world except Silicon Valley.

This is yet another case of tech looking at its own belly button and seeing worlds therein.

I replied to you in another topic too: 

This is a case where you are way outside the norm and there is nothing wrong with our software. 

​I don't think that's so, Charles. The smaller desktop monitors are still widely available, from major manufacturers. I doubt that I am way outside the norm.

I gather IPS hasn't done user testing among a random population of users who are not employed in software development or habitues of IPS support forums? That would be a better way to identify the norm.

Of desktop users 1024 x 768 is still used by 30% of our visitors, although the vast majority of these are using Macs, so maybe it is an Apple thing.

We still design to 1024 x 768 maybe we should forget mac users ;)

​Yes, my site's visitors are a general population, some using quite old equipment (and some on mobile). (Macs can last a long time :wub:) I fully expect a large number of my users would have difficulty with the resolution requirements of IPB 4.0.

Personally, I don't intend to replace my monitor until it croaks. Reduce, reuse, recycle. Pretty soon this will make sense to everyone.

You can simply have two themes where one of them has responsive enabled, and the other one disabled. Named 'Desktop' and 'Responsive (Mobile)' respectively.

​I think we all need to accommodate mobile users as well as desktop users. To me, this indicates an admin option to have two skins, as we have now, or the adaptive option.

Statcounter surveys screen resolutions http://gs.statcounter.com/#resolution-na-monthly-201312-201412-bar Their methodology seems fairly sound, subject to bias of their member sites, which have not been characterized in detail. (If they were tech-oriented, the data might be slanted.) "Our tracking code is installed on more than 3 million sites globally. These sites cover various activities and geographic locations."

These stats are for North America, Dec 2013 to 2014:StatCounter-resolution-na-monthly-201312

1024 x 768 is represented twice, by 1024 x 768 and 768 x 1024, for a total of about 16%.

Same parameters for Europe, showing 1024 x 768 usage of about 12%:StatCounter-resolution-eu-monthly-201312

​According to the introduction on the page to which you referred, http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_Display.asp:

"W3Schools.com is for people with an interest for web technologies. This fact indicates that the numbers below might not be 100% true for the average internet users. The average internet-user might have a lower screen resolution."

Visitors to W3Schools.com are probably tech professionals, tech students, or tech hobbyists. Believe it or not, these do not constitute a majority of the population in any part of the world except Silicon Valley.

This is yet another case of tech looking at its own belly button and seeing worlds therein.

​I don't think that's so, Charles. The smaller desktop monitors are still widely available, from major manufacturers. I doubt that I am way outside the norm.

I gather IPS hasn't done user testing among a random population of users who are not employed in software development or habitues of IPS support forums? That would be a better way to identify the norm.

​Yes, my site's visitors are a general population, some using quite old equipment (and some on mobile). (Macs can last a long time :wub:) I fully expect a large number of my users would have difficulty with the resolution requirements of IPB 4.0.

Personally, I don't intend to replace my monitor until it croaks. Reduce, reuse, recycle. Pretty soon this will make sense to everyone.

​I think we all need to accommodate mobile users as well as desktop users. To me, this indicates an admin option to have two skins, as we have now, or the adaptive option.

There are ways around this. Put on your thinking cap and read what people are saying. You can turn off the rresponsivenessif your members don't like it or create your default skin with it off and have a secondary with it on (or vice versa). We are sitting around complaining about things that are already solved for you. IPS has the right to move forward with new trends and most of us really like the fact the responsiveness is built into IPS4, if you don't than turn it off. Easy peasy.

Here I am with a small less than 14" laptop and am in 1280x800 and am able to be on desktop view.

At 1024 you would see the full version - it's only at 980 that it goes into the mobile view. So if you have a 1024 monitor and you don't browse with a full-screen browser, you would indeed see the mobile view.

It's not as simple as just giving the user the option to turn it off. If they were to turn it off, the full version would not display properly at < 980 because it is not designed to do so. Moreover, responsive sites are responsive to the device by definition. You will be unlikely to find it as an optional thing on any other responsive website because by design it is showing you the optimal display for your browser.

A per-user option won't be available. A global option to turn off responsiveness is available as a theme setting for situations where the site itself decides to disable it, accepting the caveats that entails.

I understand others have their own opinions about catering for small devices, but responsive design is the present and the future, and so that's what we have opted to go with.

Archived