[AdonisMale] Tags & Tag Administration

Joel R

Here are my suggestions for improved tagging. The items marked as Wishlist would be innovative and nice but certainly not a necessity.  The other requests would immediately improve my daily administration and my community's user experience.   

On the front-end:

• Clicking on a tag finds related content with the same tag
  • Clicking on a tag finds variant or similar tags
  • IP.Content block that can filter based on tag(s)
  • Tags in IP.Content custom databases
  • Ability to filter by tags in any category with posts or content that contain tags
  • Ability to mass add tags to items
  • (Wishlist) "Follow" a tag
  • (Wishlist) Coloring and styling of tags

On the back-end:

• A centralized Tag Management
  • Ability to bulk add / edit / rename / delete tags
  • Ability to mass show all items with the tag(s)
  • (Wishlist) Permissions on tags -- for example, if I tag an item as 'client services' then only my client group can access that content item.  Or to allow certain groups the ability to tag in certain categories.  
  • (Wishlist) Allow hierarchy of  tags -- allow certain tags as higher priority / lower priority, link certain tags together, let certain tags be child nodes of parent tags  

I love the fact that IPS offers a community suite with bespoke applications that present content in their own unique and wonderful ways.  However, each app functions too independently, and I'm hoping that a more powerful and centralized tagging experience can help integrate the suite.  

A very specific and comprehensive set of suggestions surrounding tags... at this juncture, probably no chance of making it into IPS4, but I really, really, really, really hope 4.1 starts to address unity & synergy of this nature. That's *kind of* what we were promised, and I thought that was *kind of* the overall vision, and I don't see what the counterargument to any of these ideas would be other than they're *temporarily* taking a back seat so that 4.0 can become the new platform to build on.

A very specific and comprehensive set of suggestions surrounding tags... at this juncture, probably no chance of making it into IPS4, but I really, really, really, really hope 4.1 starts to address unity & synergy of this nature. That's *kind of* what we were promised, and I thought that was *kind of* the overall vision, and I don't see what the counterargument to any of these ideas would be other than they're *temporarily* taking a back seat so that 4.0 can become the new platform to build on.

​Thanks for liking the suggestion.

One of the things that's started to worry me about the scale of IPS 4's development is that even though each app needs to be developed, there's also "overall" architecture that needs to be developed as well (such as tagging and comprehensive tag management), and as the more apps are added, the more complex the overall architecture becomes.  

I also would like clicking on a tag to provide the option to delve more into the tags (as in: search for items that contain multiple tags defined in search)

So let's say I click on the tag "cars". On the result page it would then present me with something like: 

«These tags were used in combination with the tag "cars":
Toyota (50+), BMW (21), Nissan (11), show more...»

The content inside the parenthesis could indicate how many results it would be reduced down to (if possible) and clicking "show more" would expand the list by ajax. Clicking on "Toyota" would then return the results that contained both tags ("cars" and "Toyota" This idea is maybe what you meant with "Clicking on a tag finds variant or similar tags", but I wanted to expand on it at least. 

As for your suggestions, @adonismale; I very much agree on being able to follow a tag and for moderators to be able to deny tags individually on content items.

Another thing I want is for the community being able to add tags. So let's say each member could add up to X amount of tags to each individual content item, even though they didn't start it. This would also tie in with moderators being able to deny tags that were added. There would of course need to be some history on who added a tag and when. 

Archived