Followers notification X real followed 'content' notification

Adriano Faria

I wish you guys can work this out like Xenforo has. Most of the members on our forums has like 50 friends. Imagine notifications of what ever that 50 are doing to one person? Now imagine they loosing all the friends which they have over the years........   Either way we will be in trouble....

I know that you peeps are hard at work but it looks like you all need good coffeeeeeeeee!!!

• 3 weeks later...

On the forum that I am active on, a lot of members (especially the more active users) are attached to the Status Update feature. If friends can only be converted to followers, and you can't disable notifications about what the people you follow have posted (with some of the more active members regularly posting more than 20 posts per day in the sections that count posts (even more in the off topic sections)) without disabling notifications about threads that you have followed (they are very different things), a lot of members are going to be very annoyed. I urge you to reconsider your decision and just add an option to disable notifications when a member you follow posts something, while still leaving followed threads intact. Please.

The better thing that I prefer is to have notification state as disabled by default from conversion process, and leave a "profile incomplete flag" to permise updating of users data preference. 

I could have a follower without a notifications active jet?

Any word on separate notifications? I just got back home recently and I thought I'd check :ph34r:

​I also :sad:

Hi,

I just see this topic. I join Adriano, José A and all the member who say it's annoying. Change friends to followers not really a problem for me, but this option to send a mail for every content posted by the follower should be disable and if a follower want to be notified for every content in this case the member just need enable it manually in the notification's center.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Friends/Followers needs to be completely rethought by IPS.  Forum communities are much closer to the Facebook model than the Twitter model.   As pointed out above, there is a social aspect to friends there.    If we are forced to drop all of our followers because we don't want a notification every time they sneeze, then that removes the social and community aspect of the software.

Really, the followers thing is fairly terrible.  I followed a developer or two on here because I wanted to know if/when they updated or released new software.  They got unfollowed after a day because of all the notification noise they generated.... and that was ONE person. 

Seriously IPS, on a live forum, how many people do you realistically expect to be using this feature given that you would be notified about every single thing the person that you follow does. On the forum that I use, I have members asking for status update notifications to be moved to their own separate notification list because they clog up their notification list (but they do still want to be notified about friends' status updates, just in a different way). Now how annoyed are these people going to be when they are notified about every single post that their friends make?

Please just implement something like http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/7233-follow-member-extra-options/ as default.

Yep, it is certainly annoying. I'm following all the devs and I get a load of emails daily from bug report replies :P

A separate notification option for members AND a way to choose the notification for each member we follow would be the best fix possible. I see nothing in either way so far thought.

We changed the upgrader to prompt if you want to convert friends to followers, defaulting to off. :)

​Even if it turns off current they no longer friends. They are followers. Friends people you like to know and read about, follower are people you enjoy some of there content and like to read more on them I think keeping friends and followers not all in one is a better idea. I say put the system back the way it was as more data needs to be talk about on the subject more. I current enjoy the old way of how it was done and not this new system. Nobody is a friend just a follower and the terms even give off a non-personal feel to it even by social points. Owners of IPB want to have a community not a working place, I think that is the different, working environment it will would work but where trying to be more of social one. Which I think that most of the board software was mostly pointed to. I think we should up more of the social parts to IPB 4.0.

​If it's annoying why can't you just unfollow them? I'm not being awkward I'm just genuinely curious what purpose you are following them for if you don't want updates.

​When you have over 100, will you unfollow them all? Also the different is you don't get tons of notifications vs the current way with IPB 3.X.X. It best to look at it different from the major user base than from just unfollow standpoint. People are saying what they dislike about the feature, from a company stand point one should see that maybe this is something that should be brought back in to the fold and corrected. A friend is not a follower they are really different.

yes, I understand this may not be a solution for you Adriano but it is a solution for those who believe that followers are sufficiently different from friends.

Can you change it back and bring back the old system with the follower system?​

​Here's what concerns me about these e-mail notifications - if people with yahoo, gmail, aol, outlook, etc. accounts cannot stop these e-mails and they become burdensome, they may be prone to simply marking them as spam.  Should that happen and your host turns off your ability to send out e-mails and new user validations, then your community is dead.

• 1 month later...

Is this fixed? I am not getting that much notification anymore????

​Yes, according to this http://community.invisionpower.com/4releasenotes/, on 4.0.2:

• Added new notification setting for Members you Follow. On install and upgrade, this setting is off by default to prevent your users from getting bombarded with notifications for members they follow until they are able to decide their preference.

Archived