Yea not happy

LIF

I cant see moving to the 4.0 of this product. I will be staying with 3.3 - 3.4

Its not something my members would like to use.. If and when 3xx dies and this 4.0 stays I'll have to switch to another software.

No disrespect to anyone who made it, but its not for us.

I'm curious why you don't like v4?  I actually can't wait for an RC version of 4.  Personally, I don't like working with v3.4.x?

How did you get feedback from your members already when the software is only in beta?

​I had members come here and play. 

Obviously, it's up to you what you want to do with your community.  I haven't read anywhere about IPS's position on LTS (Long Term Support) for version 3.4.  I can only assume (I might be totally wrong) that IPS is going to focus on version 4 when it's released - as they should because v4 is much better in multiple ways.

​Why not wait and install a theme you and your users like?

I like the default theme aswell

​+1

Knocking the platform based on the default look is like saying I am not going to consider that car in any other color because I didn't like the red colored paint. There will be third party skins and if you have the skills you can certainly change it to something amazing. This has been discussed thousands of times here.

If there is something specific that you want to describe and have a suggestion to improve it that too is helpful. Saying I don't like it makes this topic worthless.

The look and feel of it.

Its probably terrific for everyone, just not for us.

​It is a big world, room for everyone.   I just don't get the 'why' of coming here to announce this, was your hope that the designers would come to their senses and change everything they have worked on for a year, to placate you?  Or just a dramatic, grand farewell, that every single one of us has seen dozens of times from community members?

​It is a big world, room for everyone.   I just don't get the 'why' of coming here to announce this, was your hope that the designers would come to their senses and change everything they have worked on for a year, to placate you?  Or just a dramatic, grand farewell, that every single one of us has seen dozens of times from community members?

​Agreed. I would understand a post to say "I can't believe you did x. X is a horrible way of doing this. It should be done Y."

I think he's saying that his members don't like the new version.  Notice the "us" and "my members" in his posts.  So, it sounds like he's doing what his members want to do. Maybe it's not his personal feelings but rather the direction of his members.

Personally, I never listen to my members... well maybe a few "core" members.

I think he's saying that his members don't like the new version.  Notice the "us" and "my members" in his posts.  So, it sounds like he's doing what his members want to do. Maybe it's not his personal feelings but rather the direction of his members.

Personally, I never listen to my members... well maybe a few "core" members.

​People are going to hate change, it's a proven fact. My memebers hated moving to IPB but now LOVE it (some still have problems but IPS4 fixes them)! I know we're going to have some issues with members not liking 4 but it's a matter of explaining the benefits of the change.

It will take many years before 4 is worth switching to. Remember how much 3 sucked up until like 3.3? It will be the same with this one. Early adopters go ahead, but I am not gonna jump ship that soon.

​I disagree with that... it's not going to take years.  There has to be some consideration for the IPS developers learning from past experiences.  When 3 was released they didn't have as much experience as they do now.  Everyone learns from their past experiences.  It's like saying someone with 2 years experience will do the same thing when they have 10 years experience.  From what I'm seeing, version 4 was very well thought out.  I'm happy they opened up the beta so customers could find bugs and comment on the development.  Putting the beta software on a live site, was a little bold, but I like bold.  It also shows that they're pretty confident about their security and that, to me, is very important.

​I disagree with that... it's not going to take years.  There has to be some consideration for the IPS developers learning from past experiences.  When 3 was released they didn't have as much experience as they do now.  Everyone learns from their past experiences.  It's like saying someone with 2 years experience will do the same thing when they have 10 years experience.  From what I'm seeing, version 4 was very well thought out.  I'm happy they opened up the beta so customers could find bugs and comment on the development.  Putting the beta software on a live site, was a little bold, but I like bold.  It also shows that they're pretty confident about their security and that, to me, is very important.

​But atleast a year, before it's worth considering the switch. It has points I really would like to have now, but on the other hand it has points which it does worse compared to IPB 3.4, e.g. in IPB 3.4 you went into a forum and pressed in the searchfield at top and the forum was already selected, same for downloads etc. (I don't understand why it's called 'downloads' and when you want to search through it you have to select 'files'). Personally I think the search looks horrible right now. In 3.4 you had titles on the left and everything else on the right side, now it's all on the same spot and it gets difficult to navigate with your eyes through it. It's as if you watch on a wall of text which has no titles/spaces... which gives it some structure to quickly navigate through it.

I'm probably not going to change ships for a while simply because it's simply 3.4 wrapped up in a more modernized framework with 10% more features (that I would personally use).

I'm going to basically have to redo my whole site for a better framework that for the user/content side of things, isn't going to be noticed anyways. Don't get me wrong, I like IPS 4.0, and I'm going to enjoy deving and themeing for it, but there isn't a point to 'upgrade' my site when the upgrade isn't really upgrading me functionality or stability wise.

Then throw in 3rd party modifications into the loop and well... you have a while before you get your site back, not that the new additions won't be better, but it's still going to put you behind depending on when you get everything rewritten.

That's just my 0.02c for what it's worth and again, it's not bad. It's just a community decision - I do not see a point to upgrading a working system out of backend changes

Knocking the platform based on the default look is like saying I am not going to consider that car in any other color because I didn't like the red colored paint. There will be third party skins and if you have the skills you can certainly change it to something amazing. This has been discussed thousands of times here.

If there is something specific that you want to describe and have a suggestion to improve it that too is helpful. Saying I don't like it makes this topic worthless.

I have been on both the design and marketing sides of new car product launches and we follow a few basic tenants:

1. Here's What We Have

Packaging and presentation is king.  From experience, I can assure you that an auto maker isn't going to introduce a new vehicle by presenting a watered down, bland version is the hopes that the consumer "sees THE vision."  This is one of the reasons why when auto makers introduce a new product, they present the most decked out model in the hopes that it's going to knock your socks off.  It's their ONE chance to make the product love at first sight.  It's the bait and hook put into place from the very beginning.

The "Here's What We Have" theme isn't restricted to autos - it transcends virtually every product that's for sale.

This is where I believe that IPS's 4.0 design fell far short of the WOW factor.  Don't tell us that if we invest time and or money that we can have a spectacular looking site, rather preset something that's original and that possesses design elegance to begin with.  IPS needs to show us a vision and an end game to where we can take 4.0 by further enhancing it.  

Anyone, including free forum software could have designed 4.0's current layout and that's part of the problem because IPS 4.0 isn't free, it's premium grade stuff that merits more.  At the end of the day, the question remains: Does 4.0 look premium?

If you're pro-IPS like me, 4.0's design may not be a factor in your upgrade decision - you're going to upgrade and wrap it around something cool anyway.  I get that.  But I also get a lot of the criticism that's also focused around the lack of design thought behind 4.0 too. 

At the end of the day, IPS cannot thrive on just repeat customers alone, they need new and conquest ones too.  Here are some open ended questions: Would someone cross shopping IPS, XenForo and VBulletin love IPS at first site? Does 4.0 stand out from the pack from a design perspective?

I believe that IPS has the engineering side figured out, just not the design execution.

2. Here's What It Does

IPS has done a great job describing what 4.0 is, what is does and why it's class leading in many respects and I look forward to using it going forward.

I have been on both the design and marketing sides of new car product launches and we follow a few basic tenants:

1. Here's What We Have

Packaging and presentation is king.  From experience, I can assure you that an auto maker isn't going to introduce a new vehicle by presenting a watered down, bland version is the hopes that the consumer "sees THE vision."  This is one of the reasons why when auto makers introduce a new product, they present the most decked out model in the hopes that it's going to knock your socks off.  It's their ONE chance to make the product love at first sight.  It's the bait and hook put into place from the very beginning.

The "Here's What We Have" theme isn't restricted to autos - it transcends virtually every product that's for sale.

This is where I believe that IPS's 4.0 design fell far short of the WOW factor.  Don't tell us that if we invest time and or money that we can have a spectacular looking site, rather preset something that's original and that possesses design elegance to begin with.  IPS needs to show us a vision and an end game to where we can take 4.0 by further enhancing it.  

Anyone, including free forum software could have designed 4.0's current layout and that's part of the problem because IPS 4.0 isn't free, it's premium grade stuff that merits more.  At the end of the day, the question remains: Does 4.0 look premium?

If you're pro-IPS like me, 4.0's design may not be a factor in your upgrade decision - you're going to upgrade and wrap it around something cool anyway.  I get that.  But I also get a lot of the criticism that's also focused around the lack of design thought behind 4.0 too. 

At the end of the day, IPS cannot thrive on just repeat customers alone, they need new and conquest ones too.  Here are some open ended questions: Would someone cross shopping IPS, XenForo and VBulletin love IPS at first site? Does 4.0 stand out from the pack from a design perspective?

I believe that IPS has the engineering side figured out, just not the design execution.

2. Here's What It Does

IPS has done a great job describing what 4.0 is, what is does and why it's class leading in many respects and I look forward to using it going forward.

​I think it would be great to see a "Custom Skin Contest" for like $1000.  Not free licenses, but cold hard cash.  Something that would make people go WOW I can create "that" with IP4?  The winner would be the showpiece for what can be done with the new software.  I think that would kinda be in-line with what you're talking about.

​I think it would be great to see a "Custom Skin Contest" for like $1000.  Not free licenses, but cold hard cash.  Something that would make people go WOW I can create "that" with IP4?  The winner would be the showpiece for what can be done with the new software.  I think that would kinda be in-line with what you're talking about.

​Love that idea

​Even i like the Default theme so far, this is a great idea

+1

1. Here's What We Have

2. Here's What It Does

​Not really what I was saying but I definitely agree that for cars you always put your best foot forward with the best trim and options in all commercial but this is not a commercial/marketing analogy. Software like IPS is all about customization and fitting it to your needs so it is not as direct as what you're saying, IPS has to show what is possible without going overboard.  My analogy was a buyer walking on to a dealer lot and seeing that "red" paint and even though they have no intention of buying that car in red and they love what the car is, leave because that "red looks weird." Even though the dealer has many more colors available for that car and the possibility they can customize or order the color they want.

My case and point being is the product is very new still, hell it hasn't even been released, you shouldn't give up on it yet. There will be many skin options and you yourself can still change things.

I cant see moving to the 4.0 of this product. I will be staying with 3.3 - 3.4

Its not something my members would like to use.. If and when 3xx dies and this 4.0 stays I'll have to switch to another software.

No disrespect to anyone who made it, but its not for us.

​I have been with this software more than a decade...  I went thru what you and your users going thru every time IPS come up with a new version (major one)...

Trust me I had exactly same comments from my users, "this is not for us" or "not good" or "do not upgrade to this version"....

I always trust IPS and their vision on this kind of product and They always win my users heart...

Just upgrade and give some time to 4.0... I am pretty sure when the version 5.0 is ready, you are going to hear same thing about 5.0 too... LOL!

Good luck

I'm happy to have started a topic that is a good read that brings both sides to the table rather than a cheer-leading post about the goodness of something. 

WHo wants to invest time doing a Donate/IP.Nexus mod for me?

After many, many years I have my site just as I want it and I have loads of add-ons.

To me 4.0 upgrade is just another job I will have to do which really doesn't need to be done.

It will cost me time and money and deflect my time and money from using my site to make money.

At the moment I cannot see the benefit.

I will put it off as long as I can without risking my sites security or functionality.

Archived