/forums/forum

jhutch

I have IP.Pages installed with the forums. And I've got IP.Pages to load as the index. (everything is on the root of my domain)

When I click to go to the forums, my website address becomes domain.com/forums - then when I actually click into a forum - it goes to domain.com/index.php?/forums/forum/3-names

I hate that it has forums twice. And, on this site, forums isn't mentioned twice.....

Is this a bug that I need to report? Is this something I'm doing wrong? Or was this how it was made?

This is related to which app you have set as the default. The issue doesn't appear on this community because forums is the default app, so the forum URLs are x.com/forum/xxx-name and x.com/topic/xxxxxx-name. If you set any other app as the default, then the forum URLs are prefixed by /forums/, and you end up with x.com/forums/forum/xx-name and x.com/forums/topic/xxxxxx-name.

This is a change from v3. My community is set to have IPC as the homepage, but the forum urls remain x.com/forum/xx-name and x.com/topic/xxxxx-name. To me, this makes more sense than the redundant /forums/forum/ structure.

v4 does have a nice interface to manually edit how your URLs appear, but it's also accompanied by a warning.

Adjusting these settings is recommended only for advanced users. Custom URLs are not backwards compatible with the default URLs and so any changes will have an immediate negative effect on your search engine rankings.

So, if I change the URLs to /forum/xxx-name, the software is unable to 301 the /forums/forum/xxx-name URLs? Well, that would really devastate my community's indexing. Okay, I can write an nginx rewrite (or .htaccess if that's your flavor), but this is way above an average user's ability just to restore v3 behavior.

If I upgrade my community, will the old /forum/xx-name URLs be properly forwarded to /forums/forum-xxx-name? I can't test the upgrade until the next beta (all the bugs I've encountered have been fixed), but based on my clean install /forum/xxx-name URLs get 303 forwarded to /forums/forum/xxx-name... which I had to look up (303- See Other) and seems less preferable to a 301.

Off topic, but I just noticed: is there really no way to preview your post's output before posting it? Is that a gear icon to insert a quote?

This is related to which app you have set as the default. The issue doesn't appear on this community because forums is the default app, so the forum URLs are x.com/forum/xxx-name and x.com/topic/xxxxxx-name. If you set any other app as the default, then the forum URLs are prefixed by /forums/, and you end up with x.com/forums/forum/xx-name and x.com/forums/topic/xxxxxx-name.

This is a change from v3. My community is set to have IPC as the homepage, but the forum urls remain x.com/forum/xx-name and x.com/topic/xxxxx-name. To me, this makes more sense than the redundant /forums/forum/ structure.

v4 does have a nice interface to manually edit how your URLs appear, but it's also accompanied by a warning.

So, if I change the URLs to /forum/xxx-name, the software is unable to 301 the /forums/forum/xxx-name URLs? Well, that would really devastate my community's indexing. Okay, I can write an nginx rewrite (or .htaccess if that's your flavor), but this is way above an average user's ability just to restore v3 behavior.

If I upgrade my community, will the old /forum/xx-name URLs be properly forwarded to /forums/forum-xxx-name? I can't test the upgrade until the next beta (all the bugs I've encountered have been fixed), but based on my clean install /forum/xxx-name URLs get 303 forwarded to /forums/forum/xxx-name... which I had to look up (303- See Other) and seems less preferable to a 301

​Thanks for the answer. That's unreal frustrating to me. Most everyone who uses IP.Pages at all is going to have that set as their default page. Surely there's a better solution than the custom URLs. I can't imagine forums/forum/ being good in search engines either. 

Why not install to the root of your domain?  Then pages will be the root URL (instead of domain.com/forums/some_page) and the forums themselves will be under domain.com/forums.

​One question I have is we currently have our forums under the domain.com/forums/ directory and ip.content in the root folder and have had it this way since we switched to IPB. If we were to switch to having everything in the root folder would I need to do any nginx redirects or will IPB automatically take care of the 301's?

Why not install to the root of your domain?  Then pages will be the root URL (instead of domain.com/forums/some_page) and the forums themselves will be under domain.com/forums.

@bfarber ​It is installed to the root of my domain.... that's the issue here. It adds in domain.com/forums when you visit the forums, then domain.com/forums/forum when you are in a subform.

​As @jhutch pointed out, it happens even when installed to the root of the domain. With a clean install of IPS4 to the root of the domain, if you set Pages as the default app, then forums are given the url x.com/forums/forum/xxx-name.

I would also appreciate clarification on the questions I asked...

​That is true and it is kind of strange. Surprisingly that does not happen on this site. 

​This site has the forums set as the default app. That's the difference.

This site has the forums set as the default app. That's the difference.

​Right, I missed that. But it’s certainly not a bug, but a deliberate decision. They just unified what they always did. 

On my 3.4 site, it also reads files/file/xx-the-actual-filename-xx/ in the download section.

It’s always something like / name of section / explanation of the type that follows / content name or category /

files/category/category-name
files/file/filename
gallery/category/category-name
gallery/image/image-name

and now also

forums/forum/forum-name

this must be solved​

it needs to be addressed. 

​Guys, don’t get crazy because something changed. Like I said before: There is a specific suite-wide logic to it – and that logic was already in place in older version of the suite. The forum was just a special area before, because the suite was built around it. In 4.0 the forum is one of several apps and follows the same URL structure as all other areas. There is one default app and all other apps get an app specific slug. The way it was working in 3.4 with IP.Content as main app was the “hack” that has now been resolved. 

Understandable but

Go to the forum then catergory if pages is default the url structure would be like

/index.php?/forums/forum/2-a-test-forum/

Select a topic and now the URL is like

/index.php?/forums/topic/1-welcome/

So forum has been dropped from the URL when accessing a topic, doesn't seem logical to me to have forum after forums if it isn't technically needed.

So forum has been dropped from the URL when accessing a topic …

Yes. Because now you access the topic. The other link gives access to a specific forum. That’s the point of it. Think of the slash like a colon. 

forum : 2-a-test-forum

topic : 1-welcome

It works this way even in your 3.x board. 

I understand, I don't have IP.Content as the default at the moment - although that's changing with V4. Although if the forum is my default application and pages is not, in 3.4 then I have //index.php/page/testfolder/testpage.html which I would expect.

In V4 Beta 3a, I have /index.php?/testfolder/testpage/ with forums as the default application /page/ isn't present in the structure? I should have said if /page/ isn't required in pages in V4, can't it be the same with the forum?

In V4 Beta 3a, I have /index.php?/testfolder/testpage/ with forums as the default application /page/ isn't present in the structure?

​Oh yeah, that’s true. 

I wonder what implications – other than the logo link – the choice of the default app has.  

Because if there are not much implications, IP.Content users could simply keep their old URL structure by keeping the forum the main app and adding a /page/ folder. Then all URLs would probably work as before without any rewrites. 

• 2 months later...

I remembered that I tried to rewrite the URL to exclude the forum and topic identification by simply using a letter. What are the possibilities at this point that this could be used?

/forum/f2-a-test-forum/

/forum/t2-a-test-topic/

As long as the pattern is identified, it should work.

Archived