Changing the licence subfolder for test site

pisaldi

Hi,

I tried to upgrade my v3.4.7 trial site to beta 2 with a subdomain (prueba.invisionhispano.com) and it has been impossible...

Now, I'm trying to install in a subfolder (invisionhispano.com/prueba) and I'm having a problem with the licence.

The licence don't let me install in the subfolder as it says that the licence is active.

The licence was used in the subdomain but I have deleted ALL the files from the subdomain prueba so it can't detect anything active not the live site...

How should I do for IPS to allow the licence for the new subfolder ?

Hi,

I tried to upgrade my v3.4.7 trial site to beta 2 with a subdomain (prueba.invisionhispano.com) and it has been impossible...

Now, I'm trying to install in a subfolder (invisionhispano.com/prueba) and I'm having a problem with the licence.

The licence don't let me install in the subfolder as it says that the licence is active.

The licence was used in the subdomain but I have deleted ALL the files from the subdomain prueba so it can't detect anything active not the live site...

How should I do for IPS to allow the licence for the new subfolder ?

​1 License = 1 live and 1 test can only be reset every 6 months unless pay $25 and again i could fixed your issue with current problem but seem refuse help !!!

​Where can I request/ask URL for my a test domain?

​You can use 1 license with your live site, and another one for test site and your must enter as license number your license number followed by -TESTINSTALL

But remember you can not change the folder / subdomain and you must wait 6 months to change

As much as this is policy I think its a mistake to only allow either a v3 test or a v4 test. If you have a live v3 you need a separate test site for v3 and for testing v4 beta development and migration at least during the beta period.

This is a very bad idea.  I have multiple test environments.  Please let me know what is expected of those who are proper testing/staging/development servers.  Are we suppose to buy multiple licenses?  At the very least, we should be allowed to install on all subdomains and subdirectories.

I am very disappointed about this.

This is a very bad idea.  I have multiple test environments.  Please let me know what is expected of those who are proper testing/staging/development servers.  Are we suppose to buy multiple licenses?  At the very least, we should be allowed to install on all subdomains and subdirectories.

I am very disappointed about this.

​On a live domain install internet connected 1 license equals 1 live board and 1 test board off line to the public this true as we all know, no ands ifs or buts about it and I understand IPS's stand on this and I completely agree on their stand, but as far as a localhost Wamp / Xamp environment where it is offline and can only be used or viewed by the developer / designer this is creating an issue while setting up multiple scenarios in development and design. For years we have been doing it this way since as far back as the 1.3 days. This was even brought up in an article around 3.0 - 3.0.5 by an ex staff member / developer while building applications mods and hooks while having a different board for each. I have always ran 3-4 boards while in skin design where I could drop any form of code change to test the out come without total destruction of a primary test board or skin design.

At present I have no way of doing this even on my local where according to IPS's stand is not considered. But in fact it is. You cannot create a multiple boards due to license call out verifier telling you that you are not allowed because this license is already active...

The license server does not restrict localhost installations.  You can install the software with the -TESTINSTALL license key on localhost.

​Yes for the first test (upgrade) suite but if you attempt to create a 2nd (or more) as in a backup to test other coding in order to prevent total damage to the first test site it is not allowed.

Example:

http://localhost/kmg-test-1 will install with no issue using your "license key-TESTINSTALL"

but if I were to create a 2nd at

http://localhost/kmg-test-2
this is not allowed as you can with 3.4.7 and earlier it will fail.

On another note what I don't like about Wamp  or Xampp they both have to be added into the Windows firewall.... being a local environment this one still blows me away even though the Wamp virtual server is offline.

The license server does not restrict localhost installations.  You can install the software with the -TESTINSTALL license key on localhost.

I think at the very minimum any decent sized site has something of the form

dev.example.com, staging.example.com, example.com (production).  For a decent number of sites the number of dev sites could be substantial.  You should probably explicit state that don't support common best practices of having multiple staging and development servers if you are going this route.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree very much, @kettner. IPS should have better support that kind of setup, it's something we're able to do for all our other sites where I work, but not the communities, due to the way hooks are installed, skins and languages generated from ACP to disk etc.

It's always so much extra work and tedious than I feel it could be for 3.x when I need a test environment or develop something compared to the other sites that are hosted by the company I work in. So I usually just end up commiting most changes directly to prod and hope for the best, lol.

I'll likely have a look at how to best setup our git and deploy environment for the IPS 4 communities during christmas. Hopefully I'll at least be abld to figure out a better approach than the way we have it in 3.x.

• 1 month later...

Just now I ran into this issue in stupid way - tried to convert my board online from 3.4.7 to 4.0 b8 (as it went way too slow on localhost). Got problems so I installed clean IPB 4.0 to new folder with weird name. After I found solution, I deleted subfolder and I realized that I'm now unable to convert online at all as TESTINSTALL is now used and I even cannot reset/change it by paying - no Reset button (probably because I got no main URL yet, I'm keeping this for final conversion, I got only test URL which cannot be resetted now). I'm stuck :(

Stupid mistake as test domain stays the same, just subfolder data is wrong :(

EDIT: I cannot even reinstall IPB to already provided test URL as it says that it is already activated. Totally stuck. Any help appreciated...

Archived