Moderator Options: Does anybody use Unlock/Lock Time?

MMXII

I am talking about the moderator options (when you create a new topic): It is possible to define an unlock/lock time. Are there really any people who know in advance when they like to close a topic? Or people who want to create a closed topic in the first place and then open it after some time? Why do these features exist?

Now if this was about an unhide/hide option, I could see a reason for this. You could create content in advance, hide it until a certain time, and when the minute/hour/day etc. is reaced, it will be shown to the users. I think I saw an option (permission) about future publishing content, I assume this one was for articles. It would be a very nice feature for forum content too.

Depends on what kind of community you're running. IPS likes to provide dynamic features for all types of communities.

For instance, if you were to host a raffle, or a giveaway, or something similar, you can create a thread documenting information about the event, and you can use that thread for users on your website to sign up. Most giveaways, raffles, and events have a specific close date, and time. Human errors come up, and sometimes closing a thread such as this in a timely fashion may prove a bit difficult, which is what I use it for.

Users are still able to review over the thread and its information, without being able to contribute to its content.

It really helps me with polls. When I am doing a public poll about new feature or suggestion I can set the times when it will be opened and locked. I am also using it for our AMA series, when people are allowed to ask the questions from Sunday 12:00 to Sunday week after and then the guests replies in the topic. I don't have to bother about locking and opening the topics, because it is done automatically for me. 

Archived