"Paste as plain text by default". Should be enabled by default?

"Paste as plain text by default". Should be enabled by default?  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

By the way: You can easily force plain text in 4.0. 

applications → core → interface → ckeditor → ckeditor → config.js

Add this line:

CKEDITOR.config.forcePasteAsPlainText = true;

Yes, this is what i already doing since 3.x, but it's not a solution. Proposed option is a more flexible and correct way.

For me the question is not simply rich text or plain text – it’s about WHAT is actually copied. A link within the text? Certainly okay! An IMG tag with an absolute URL? Probably! 

But what makes rich text pasting such a nightmare in general is all that text styling. If I copy from another website I don’t want or need THEIR font sizes and colors, let alone background colors and so on. I copy content, not styling. So for me the best option would be that the editor accepts rich text content, but strips out anything that is just styling. 

^ 1000x yes. Like. +1. Nods in agreement. High fives. Fireworks.

I want to state that as an administrator and as a member that I do not support this "paste as plain text" thing by default thing. First of all, there isn't a program in the world (not talking about the web) that nowadays doesn't paste in Rich Text formatting unless explicitly told to (I deal with MS and OpenOffice and they both paste in RTF) and honestly NOT pasting in RTF is something from what I would consider "ye olde" years as I'm pretty sure that most programs in this day and age (and for the past 10+ years TBF) have pasted in RTF.

The only programs that I know don't are notepad... and well ing notepad.

If you really think your members are one hundred percent that savvy than by all means but there is no reason to force such things on EVERYONE!

I have members and have been a part of sites that literally state (verbatim) "I'm not code savvy and I really don't know what to do" and this was even as far as BBCode went. They could barely fill out a BBCode template.

As a tech support rep as my daily job, I will tell you that this is the consensus of the mass populace (even if it's not your direct audience), to boot (and I pray that no one takes offense to this please) most administrators use default or close to default layouts/skins which proves that not everyone wants such a thing. I would not only be disappointed if this became default but I would feel that we are going backward in time.

This isn't 1997 people There is no need for snow and flashy text. Proper coding IS OK!

All you need is the button in ckeditor that is paste as plain text. There is also the button that removes formatting. It's easy enough to enable in the ACP. It's an option already in the ckeditor buttons in the ACP you don't even have to go to ckeditor website to add anything or configure anything. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Please IPS, add this option.
The pasting of formated text in posts is a function that can be used by advanced users. For users without experience, this function is more confused than being something useful. Forums that are populated with users without technical knowledge become very ugly and their content is very difficult to read.
Please add this option for administrators can enforce this setting for all members.

No need to argue further for this. It will be solved in a future version. :-)

I know it causes issues with people expecting things and then getting angry when they don't happen, but it would be awesome if you made at least some of your internal todos public so we have less people asking for/discussing features that are already planned internally.

• 2 years later...

At least five years since it was suggested first time (yes, there was a lot of topics besides this) and we still unable to set default state without disabling pasting of formatted text at all.

We still need an option to:

1. Paste as plain text by default AND 
  2. Add a setting for users (per-user) where they can enable pasting of formatted text if they really need it.

• 7 months later...

Bumping this...

I am okay with retaining most formatting with copy and paste, but the problem is it also retains colours and background colors of text.

It's problematic for me because I have both dark and light themes on my forum, for this reason I removed the "text color" button from the editor, but of course via copy/paste colors can still get through..

Archived