"Paste as plain text by default". Should be enabled by default?

"Paste as plain text by default". Should be enabled by default?  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3.png
In my opinion this option should be enabled by default, it will help to prevent overuse of formatting by inexperienced users(big rainbow effect) who even don't know how to paste clean text.

Also, in my experience pasting of plain text is more often need than pasting of formated text.

What do you think guys?

Should be this option enabled by default, or at least should forum admins have option to choose the default state?

• 1 month later...

I disagree, although I'm a fan of plain text and keeping things simple, our forum involves a lot of discussions, stories and theories. Removing the formatting option impacts these drastically, yes it's something that could be enabled but then so is pasting as plain.

It's the same type of discussion we are currently holding about signatures, if it's something you want to do, then enabled signature/plain text. Just because we think plain text is the right thing, doesn't necessarily mean that every single forum out there using IPB does.

+1. Best option would be to make this a config setting.

Users on my site don't know the difference between pasting as plain text (Ctrl+Shift+V) and simple old-fashioned pasting (Ctrl+V)

​I didn't even realize that was a feature. It isn't particularly obvious. Does this work in reverse if the "paste plain text by default" is enabled?

+1. Best option would be to make this a config setting.

​I didn't even realize that was a feature. It isn't particularly obvious. Does this work in reverse if the "paste plain text by default" is enabled?

​No, it's an OS thing. Same thing for pasting into any application ;) 

I disagree, although I'm a fan of plain text and keeping things simple, our forum involves a lot of discussions, stories and theories. Removing the formatting option impacts these drastically, yes it's something that could be enabled but then so is pasting as plain.

It's the same type of discussion we are currently holding about signatures, if it's something you want to do, then enabled signature/plain text. Just because we think plain text is the right thing, doesn't necessarily mean that every single forum out there using IPB does.

​Absolutely. You're not wrong at all, but the case here is whether the majority of forum users want to paste as plain text or text with formatting by default. In most cases, an end user just wants to paste a snippet he or she found online, without all the extra HTML/BBCode included. Plus, the toolbar we have makes it easy enough to format plain text, to our liking, on the fly.

I think of formatted-text pasting as more of a feature than a standard. And as a feature, it'd be nice to have the option to toggle it on, while having plain-text pasting be the default.

One shouldn't generalise. If I'm posting something I copied and pasted from a pdf which has the text in an usual color/font/size, I would want it without formatting. However, if I'm posting a link, I would expect it to retain the link (not just paste the text), or if I'm posting an except from Wikipedia, I would want it to retain links/bolding/etc within the excerpt.

That is why we provide both options. Personally, I'd prefer to just let the OS handle pasting because that's its responsibility, but annoyingly both Windows and OS X don't make the ability to paste as plain text terribly well known.

I do have an idea in the back of my mind. I'd like to make it so when you paste anything, it will paste as formatted, and a discreet message will appear somewhere near the editor saying "Would you prefer this as plaintext?" and then it will remember that choice for next time. This won't make it into 4.0 though.

For me the question is not simply rich text or plain text – it’s about WHAT is actually copied. A link within the text? Certainly okay! An IMG tag with an absolute URL? Probably! 

But what makes rich text pasting such a nightmare in general is all that text styling. If I copy from another website I don’t want or need THEIR font sizes and colors, let alone background colors and so on. I copy content, not styling. So for me the best option would be that the editor accepts rich text content, but strips out anything that is just styling. 

One of the main reasons I want to be able to have paste as plain text the default is we have had numerous times where someone will copy and paste content from another site that has add links in them. 95% of users don't know the difference and the 5% that do can format it after it is pasted.

Archived