Thumbnails in IP4.0 Abysmal

SJ77

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have read all posts in this topic, However a few questions..

1.)  When a user tries to upload an 8mb image will this be accepted by the software and re-sized to an admin setting size?

OR

Will the image be simply refused?

2.)  If I allow 8mb images to be uploaded (admin setting 8mb) but set my thumbnail size to show 500px x 500px, will the 8mb image be scaled using HTML to DISPLAY at 500px?

OR

Does IPC4 create a thumbnail at a medium size and scale it using HTML to display at 500px?

If IPC4 is creating a "thumbnail" at for example, 800px but then displaying this same image at the admin determined size (150 x 150 for example) then this is surely a huge waste of bandwidth..

After reading the whole thread, it is still not clear what the process of handling attachments is.

1.)  When a user tries to upload an 8mb image will this be accepted by the software and re-sized to an admin setting size?

The image will be refused if admin has setting for file upload limit < 8MB.  If admin chooses to allow 8MB file attachments, one thumbnail will be created at admin preset size and the full size 8MB image will be used after user clicks on thumbnail.

2.)  If I allow 8mb images to be uploaded (admin setting 8mb) but set my thumbnail size to show 500px x 500px, will the 8mb image be scaled using HTML to DISPLAY at 500px?

A resized thumbnail will be created (not scaled) and the 8MB full image will be viewable to the user if they click on the 500px x 500px thumbnail. 

If IPC4 is creating a "thumbnail" at for example, 800px but then displaying this same image at the admin determined size (150 x 150 for example) then this is surely a huge waste of bandwidth..

It sure would be, which is one reason (of several) why a lot of us were complaining.  However, it appears that a proper thumbnail of any size can be created. For whatever reason on this site specifically they think a thumbnail should be some giant monster (which is their creative right I suppose) which confused a lot of us.  The only scaling that should happen to your thumbnail would be if the image needs to be smaller to fit a responsive frame need.

Hope this helps.

The correct image handling is so important to our community but this thread has got very, very confusing. We need an info graphic or something...LOL. How it is currently vs how others want it to be. 

Personally I hate light boxes...LOL. I like large images displayed within the post. I don't use thumbnails currently and don't plan too but know it's an important option for most communities. But let me get this straight because I'm so lost here and want to know where my forum stands in all of this so I know what I should be fighting for...LOL:

Currently, in our community I can have images that are over a certain size or dimension auto processed to be whatever my max size setting is. Problem is it strips the color profile making the image look like crap. I believe it messes with the quality too. Can we do the same thing in 4.0 but have the image keep the profile and quality? Also, can users who upload images simply insert the images inline in their post just like before and how wordpress posts function? The actual "thumbnails" I don't care about because we don't use the option in our admin cp. Just big inline images inside posts :)

The correct image handling is so important to our community but this thread has got very, very confusing. We need an info graphic or something...LOL. How it is currently vs how others want it to be. 

Personally I hate light boxes...LOL. I like large images displayed within the post. I don't use thumbnails currently and don't plan too but know it's an important option for most communities. But let me get this straight because I'm so lost here and want to know where my forum stands in all of this so I know what I should be fighting for...LOL:

Currently, in our community I can have images that are over a certain size or dimension auto processed to be whatever my max size setting is. Problem is it strips the color profile making the image look like crap. I believe it messes with the quality too. Can we do the same thing in 4.0 but have the image keep the profile and quality? Also, can users who upload images simply insert the images inline in their post just like before and how wordpress posts function? The actual "thumbnails" I don't care about because we don't use the option in our admin cp. Just big inline images inside posts :)

​I can try to do this for you as I have been bird-dogging this thread. (It's really important for me)

Let's start with what we have currently. I will do 2 things admin settings, and user experience.

WHAT WE HAVE ----------------------------

ADMIN SETTINGS:

image upload max allowed file size  [ 2MB ]  - users will have upload rejected if attempting larger uploads

Max Thumbnail image size: [100px width]  x   [100px height]  - system will make resized thumbnail

That's it! 

User Experience:

can only upload files smaller than max limit. 

will see thumbnails no larger than max setting.

clicking thumbnails will open full sized image scaled in lightbox to fit window.

clicking full size in lightbox will result in unscaled full size image.

WHAT WE WANT---------------------------------

ADMIN SETTINGS:

image upload max allowed file size  [ 2MB ]  - users will have upload rejected if attempting larger uploads

Max Thumbnail image size: [100px width]  x   [100px height]  - system will make resized thumbnail

Max full size image: [1200px width]  x   [1200px height]  - system will make resized full sized image.

Keep Original image attachment:  yes[   ]   no [ x ]

User Experience:

will see thumbnails no larger than max setting. - Which list view count underneath IE: "views: 322"  !Important

clicking thumbnails will open MAX full sized image (as set by admin) scaled in lightbox to fit window. -this is when view count will increment by 1

clicking full size in lightbox will result in unscaled full size original image if one is saved or unscaled MAX full sized image as set by admin if original is not saved.

The above "what we want",  would be awesome, amazing and incredible

​I can try to do this for you as I have been bird-dogging this thread. (It's really important for me)

Let's start with what we have currently. I will do 2 things admin settings, and user experience.

ADMIN SETTINGS:

Max full size image: [1200px width]  x   [1200px height]  - system will make resized full sized image.

User Experience:

will see thumbnails no larger than max setting. - Which list view count underneath IE: "views: 322"  !Important

clicking thumbnails will open MAX full sized image (as set by admin) scaled in lightbox to fit window. -this is when view count will increment by 1

clicking full size in lightbox will result in unscaled full size original image if one is saved or unscaled MAX full sized image as set by admin if original is not saved.

​Is the part in red bold correct? I've been lurking this thread and it seems there's been multiple requests from people to allow unlimited sized photos and to have the system re-size them to the max allowed file size, not to reject the upload if the file is over the max allowed file size.

Hi Dolfan,

Thank you... I should have been more clear. See correction below

ADMIN SETTINGS:

image upload max allowed file size  [ 0 ] Enter 0 for no limit - users will have upload rejected if attempting larger uploads

User Experience:

I agree that would be very nice. My users don't upload a ton of photos so it's not really that big of an issue for me but when they do I would like to try and not limit them on their end with upload and I would like to preserve as much bandwidth on my end when serving those images. But this isn't too big of a deal for my community. 

@Marc_S no I click the trash can it goes away but comes up again the next time I click "edit" on one of my posts in this thread. It's frustrating. 

The word "frustrating" is only allowed on final releases? Bata by nature is Frustrating. I do hope they fix the photos and superj707 I  appreciate your passion on getting this correct its very important. Text and Photos = EVERYTHING for a lot of boards.

Great explanation @superj707! Thank you! It's the clearest way to bring out the points in this thread so far I think...

I'm not sure I 100% understand if my settings are included in the fashion I'm hoping so I've added them in green just to be clear of my hopes and dreams of the perfect offering for our community :) 

Hi Dolfan,

Thank you... I should have been more clear. See correction below

ADMIN SETTINGS:

image upload max allowed file size  [ 0 ] Enter 0 for no limit - users will have upload rejected if attempting larger uploads

User Experience:

WHAT JLS WANTS---------------------------------

ADMIN SETTINGS: 

image upload max allowed file size  [ 0 ] Enter 0 for no limit users will have upload rejected if attempting larger uploads

Max Thumbnail image size: [100px width]  x   [100px height]  - system will make resized thumbnail 

Max full size image: [1200px width]  x   [1200px height]  - system will make resized full sized image maintaining original quality and color profile OR changing to sRGB color profile.

Enable Lightbox:  
yes[   ]   no [ x ]

User Experience:

will see thumbnails no larger than max setting. - Which list view count underneath IE: "views: 322"  !Important

images can be inserted directly into the post as current IP offers

The above "what JLS wants",  would be awesome, amazing and incredible :)

Photos = EVERYTHING for a lot of boards.

​here here!

And IP folks, I understand that you're working at this and I'm not trying to argue in this thread or annoy anybody during the beta stage here. I just want to be sure I voice whats best for my own personal community. I'm sure you had your good reasons for the decisions you made and I don't argue that. Frankly it goes way over my head. Just crossing my fingers things go how I need them (especially since it doesn't appear to de-rail anyone else's needs in the thread and I think my needs do make a lot of sense). I am willing to bribe with beer :)

I see you guys have taken my original concept and expanded on it, which is great :)

@JLS I think the idea is, if you want large images in posts, you don't really need the extra option, just vastly increase the thumbnail size and keep the lightbox! As for quality, maybe there can be an option to enable/disable image compression.

@superj707 I like the idea of still keeping the max upload size, if only to stop users doing dumb things like uploading a 500mb image just to screw up your server

@JLS I think the idea is, if you want large images in posts, you don't really need the extra option, just vastly increase the thumbnail size and keep the lightbox! As for quality, maybe there can be an option to enable/disable image compression.

​We are a photography community and the images displayed on our fixed wordpress website and IPB forum are 1000px wide when dealing with horizontal images. Thats our max and what we recommend for our forum. It's what looks and works the nicest for our site and members expecting critique etc. 

1000px wide is not a thumbnail...LOL. If they choose to have the functionality work this way then they should at least change the name as it's logic is a false use of the term.

For the most part lightboxes to me are something that seemed cool two years ago but now in most cases are just an annoyance. They require scripts, don't ever function that great in my experience, really get screwed up on mobile devices, etc. 1000px image for our community is big enough to display comfortably what needs displayed and I've never once seen a request for a larger image. The only time is if they want a full res image or raw and then I have them zip the file. Thumbnails (in the 150px by 150px sense of the term) don't cut it for our site. It makes the images feel secondary, require additional steps to click, etc. We do photographer interviews with images at our forum so having small thumbnails at the bottom of a post to click on or even small clickers throughout would really be an annoyance for members wanting to read the interviews and view large inspiring images while doing so.

I hope that all makes sense and doesn't sound argumentative. It's 2am here...LOL. 

1000px wide is not a thumbnail...LOL. If they choose to have the functionality work this way then they should at least change the name as it's logic is a false use of the term.

​This man speaks TRUTH!!

Also, I agree with  JLS that lightbox should be optional. Actually this was an oversight on my part to not include it in our master list. It seems so obvious that a switch to turn it off should be included I suppose I thought it went without saying.

I think as a community we have worked together and done a great job of defining what image attachment management should look like on IP4.0

We are the people who everyday manage image based communities using forum software and we are Subject Matter Experts with regard to what is needed to be successful in this arena. Now let's hope our voices will be heard by the IP team. I think together we can make brilliant things happen.

@IP_TEAM, I think I speak for all of us when I say that we really appreciate all that you do. I want to thank you for this beta which is looking really great so far.  I came to IP because of the brilliant work that you guys do.

With that said, It is my hope that you guys (IP TEAM) will come to realize how important it is to get image attachments right in this package. For those of us that run image boards this is the life blood of the software and It can make or break our communities.  Thank you again

ADMIN SETTINGS: 

image upload max allowed file size  [ 0 ] Enter 0 for no limit users will have upload rejected if attempting larger uploads

Max Thumbnail image size: [100px width]  x   [100px height]  - system will make resized thumbnail 

Max full size image: [1200px width]  x   [1200px height]  - system will make resized full sized image maintaining original quality and color profile OR changing to sRGB color profile.

Enable Lightbox:  
yes[   ]   no [ x ]

User Experience:

will see thumbnails no larger than max setting. - Which list view count underneath IE: "views: 322"  !Important

images can be inserted directly into the post as current IP offers

The above,  would be awesome, amazing and incredible :)

• Management

For me, I still think the user should be able to upload a 10mb image but the software resize this to an admin determined size.

In this day and age, asking users to resize images before upload is crazy.

Or does this actually happen?

​Yes this happens.

• Management

Thank you for your feedback. I think we need to lock this now as it's causing more confusion than it's solving.

Yes: thumbnails are generated in IPS4 for large images uploaded. These thumbnails are based on admin-defined settings. Yes: we can certainly enhance all this in a future version and we may do so.

Archived