IPB 4.0 Support

David Ivashenko

To: The IPS Team

Is there any possibility for IPB4 to officially support Nginx along with Apache. Nginx, as of todays standards, is a very popular web server along with apache because of its scalability with multiple concurrent users. The nature of a forum based software/suite is to be used in an active community setting where there most certainly will be many users at a time active on it. I personally switched to nginx because of the low latency and reduction of RAM use I got after several tests. We would all appreciate it with this next major release of the IPB Suite Software to officially come with support to the Nginx Webserver. I'm sure the community as an entirety would also appreciate it!

Thanks!

IP.Board runs perfectly fine with Nginx. Nginx is just the web server. It has little to do with the PHP application itself. Nginx passes PHP requests to something like PHP-FPM, which can technically also be used with Apache.

If you need help setting up IP.Board with Nginx, I have an old guide you can use for reference here:

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/384522-how-to-set-up-a-secure-ipboard-installation-with-nginx-and-php-fpm/?p=2395862

I also offer paid services for setting up IP.Board on Nginx + PHP-FPM installations. If you're interested, just send me a personal message.

As Kirito mentioned, IP.Board does work fine on Nginx, as well as many other platforms.

IPS will of course support their software, however proper server configuration is something you would need to work out with a System Administrator. Should any issues arise that are server related, your host would need to assist you with that configuration. As Apache is what is most typically used, IPS can sometimes give pointers on where the issue may lie, but as noted, it's ultimately an issue your host will need to address.

IPS Supports their software, which does work on the various platforms, but IPS cannot support the configuration of the platform itself.

Ahh I see! I originally assumed that IPS only supported their software when run on ideal conditions in which case would be an apache webserver. Alright than thanks for the information!

FWIW I have seen them try multiple attempts at helping resolve any issues that come up before giving the "we can't help you because of your server config" line. They even suggest changes that can be made to the server config sometimes I believe.

IPS wouldn't deny you support unless they felt your issues were specifically related to an issue with your servers configuration. (>Relevant)

However, in such a case, it wouldn't really matter if you ran Apache or Nginx. Server configuration issues are technically outside the scope of IP.Board's support service.

Nonetheless, as Rimi's mentioned, I've seen IPS go above and beyond to try and offer support even when the problem is the result of a server misconfiguration. You'd just be less likely to have this happen if you're using a more complex Nginx + PHP-FPM configuration, or anything else IP.Board staff may not be directly familiar with (and therefor couldn't really offer any help even if they wanted to).

But in general, you shouldn't expect IPS to help you configure your server to work with IP.Board whatsoever, not even if you use Apache. Support is there to help you with problems related to the IP.Board software only. (tl;dr what Aiwa said)

Archived