Social Icons by IPS Themes

Tom Christian

Social Icons by IPS Themes

Social Icons offers the perfect solution for showcasing your favourite social media websites in six different locations throughout IP.Board. This hook utilises the flexibility of font icons by allowing full control over size, colour and positioning using simple cross browser CSS. This eliminates the need for additional .PNG icons and therefore adds no additional page load time. Social Icons can be loaded in single or multiple locations within IP.Board (header, navigation, content, sidebar, floating and footer).

174 Social Media Icons

jo4Eepl.png

Positions
jqHmtkt.png

SVvYPmx.png

hiW52Cc.png

5Bwkuej.png

iVEiah8.png

gMgdWLu.png

Features [*]174 icons to pick from with more added on request! NEW [*]Customisable message to display alongside each icon NEW [*]Choose to show your icons in six different locations (header, footer, navigation menu, content, sidebar block and floating).  [*]Choose which groups can see your social media icons. [*]Force a consistent colour scheme for all icons or use their native colours. [*]Ability to open links in a new window or the same page. [*]Choose from five default sizes ranging between 14px - 30px. [*]Utilises the same icon library as seen in IPS4.
Additional Information [*]Social Icons was built and tested with the default IPB HTML/CSS framework. As most custom themes are built upon this same framework, the level of compatibility should be excellent.

•  

•  

Can this be used to create an ip.content block?

compatible with 3.3.4?

- You could fairly easily adapt this to create an IP.Content block. Just call the ipsSocialIconsOutput template. Here's an example of the sidebar block included with this hook:

<div class='ipsSideBlock clearfix'>
	<h3>Social Media</h3>
	<div class='_sbcollapsable'>
		<div class="socialIcons posSidebar">
			<ul>
				{parse template="ipsSocialIconsOutput" group="ipsthemes" params=""}
			</ul>
		</div>
	</div>
</div>

- Just tested and works fine with 3.3.4.

One further request for your consideration: add a bubble showing the number of followers for the social icons. I know, that would involve a lot more than what you have here but it would be really cool to show a communities' popularity (if you judge popularity by followers).

Thanks,

Brian

One further request for your consideration: add a bubble showing the number of followers for the social icons. I know, that would involve a lot more than what you have here but it would be really cool to show a communities' popularity (if you judge popularity by followers).

Thanks,

Brian

It's funny you mention that because it's the first thing I did after adding these social icons was add the embedded sharing code for the social media sites I use.

Note these icons are just links to your social media sites, they aren't "share" or "like" or "tweet" api calls. It would be nice if those were added too (with the respective button count style).

Oh, I see. Thanks Clover.

How would I got about changing that for images instead, anyone?

Nothing wrong withe the fonts of course, it's just that on my site, images would look better.

Look in the included stylesheet. You could edit all of the CSS classes to include background images instead of the font icons. This isn't something I support obviously.

Hi,

I noticed the floating location does not appear. I use Custom Skin - based on default IPB Skin.

Does the floating option is looking for any specific div id or class it hooks on? If so can you please provide location to take a look on and edit? Thanks

Another matter has been tested on default IPB Skin. Icon images are not loaded in IP.Content: http://screencast.com/t/eO27mS8G

We use IP content on main domain and boards on sub-domain.

Hi,

I noticed the floating location does not appear. I use Custom Skin - based on default IPB Skin.

Does the floating option is looking for any specific div id or class it hooks on? If so can you please provide location to take a look on and edit? Thanks

Another matter has been tested on default IPB Skin. Icon images are not loaded in IP.Content: http://screencast.com/t/eO27mS8G

We use IP content on main domain and boards on sub-domain.

You can find the hook point if you go to the manage hooks section in the ACP, and edit the Social Icons hook.

Can you please provide your board URL? It's almost impossible for me to debug issues like this without a live example of the issue :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am using your Social Icons hook (like it a lot) and I think it is causing one of my users to be unable to log in on his desktop. It's just one but I'd like to help him if I can. If you have any suggestions on a fix I would greatly appreciate it. Here is the screen error he is getting:

Fatal error: Call to a member function ipsSocialIconsNav() on a non-object in /usr/home/harry/public_html/forums/hooks/ipsSocialIconsNav_156158f1ccfbfad367f71af4f8dd74c2.php on line 15

I am using your Social Icons hook (like it a lot) and I think it is causing one of my users to be unable to log in on his desktop. It's just one but I'd like to help him if I can. If you have any suggestions on a fix I would greatly appreciate it. Here is the screen error he is getting:

Fatal error: Call to a member function ipsSocialIconsNav() on a non-object in /usr/home/harry/public_html/forums/hooks/ipsSocialIconsNav_156158f1ccfbfad367f71af4f8dd74c2.php on line 15

Try re-caching your skin templates in the look & feel 'template tools' section.

• 1 month later...