Please add this warning to language pack documentation

TracyIsland

Keith Connell

04 March 2014 - 08:03 PM

Hello,
We do not recommend the importing of individual modules. A full language pack would be what you'd need to import.

Individual language modules are applied to all installed languages, not just the original or the one you've configured as default.

I recommend contacting the author of the language and letting them know if this issue.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Regards,
Keith C
Invision Power Services, Inc.

I am just a run of the mill, stupid admin who doesn't know better ... so I read YOUR documentation:

http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/documentation/index.html/_/documentation/administrator-control-panel/look-and-feel/manage-languages-r116

and I follow it explicitly, and little do I know that uploading the files from this MP file:

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

would totally and completely overwrite my existing english language pack and if I had not done a full backup (which I hope will restore soon, it has been over 6 hours now...), then I would have lost 3 -4 years worth of language string customizations ... all because IPS did not put a big bold warning about language modules vs. full language packs ...

Seriously, why do you keep this stuff a secret?

- Brian

Archived