profile privacy in IPB 4

wingman23

I think some people just aren't getting it and thats fine.

For a simple analogy I think it would be appropriate to say this

We all have locks on our doors and windows but people break into property all the time. so does that mean we shouldn't bother having locks on our doors knowing that there are people dedicated to getting past those locks if they want, we all live with a false sense of security when we lock our doors but some defence is better than non at all.. makes us feel safer and for most people those locks work fine.

Seems a simple enough concept to me making the profiles private, its nothing new, its been around for years.. people are over thinking this with making avatars private and breaking content discovery, its non of those things, not for me anyway.

OH and its not meant to be compulsory, its meant to be an option for those that want it. :thumbsup:

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think some people just aren't getting it and thats fine.

I think some people here don't even understand what they're arguing for.

Seems a simple enough concept to me making the profiles private, its nothing new, its been around for years.. people are over thinking this with making avatars private and breaking content discovery, its non of those things, not for me anyway.

So it's essentially the only thing that makes sense. Blocking contact information on your profile. Which IPS has already acknowledged as a potentially reasonable suggestion to be considered.

Nothing else really makes sense. As you said, "people are over thinking this." But the only people over thinking this are the ones that keep posting in here with constant rehashed page long rants.

Don't say that forums will not be a requirement and then use forum posts as an excuse against profile privacy.

IPS says they take privacy seriously. Yet, they don't want to go in any direction outlined in this feature suggestion other than maybe later a few custom profile fields. I'll agree to disagree whether or not I think IPS takes privacy serious or not. No offense, but I just don't see it. Hiding emails is a tiny example. Clearly we have different thoughts on what privacy really is.

At least IPS is willing to listen unlike you. :sweat:

Really? Wow! Must be you skipped over my reply to IPS.

IPS would rather argue that you can't find forum posts (even though you can without the profile) and heaven forbid you stop guests from discovering profile content that many already block anyways. You and others opposing are regurgitating what they said and adding unrelated examples.

How is that a bad analogy? I'm literally referencing the exact hypothetical situation that callie wants to see in the forum software.e

Really? Comparing sending nude pics in private messages has nothing to do with profile privacy. For someone who created an addon for profile privacy, I would have thought you'd know the difference.

And for someone who created an addon for profile privacy, you'd think you'd be in support of the feature....makes me wonder what's your motive! Seriously!!!???

This whole topic went from making a common feature suggestion to being attacked for explaining the suggestion since it appeared that some didn't understand anything already said. It's no different than admins hiding profiles for guests! It's already a feature for admins to choose! Why can't the members choose? Why provide that choice if you are soooooo against it?

And for someone who created an addon for profile privacy, you'd think you'd be in support of the feature....makes me wonder what's your motive! Seriously!!!???

Uh oh calliejo. Looks like you're on to me. :ph34r:

Archived