[DNO] Remind user to keep email updated

TSP

%7Boption%7D

File Name: [DNO] Remind user to keep email updated

File Submitter: TSP

File Submitted: 22 Feb 2014

File Category: Integration

Supported Versions: IP.Board 3.3.x, IP.Board 3.4.x

Creates a global message to users to remind them to keep their email updated. Useful in communities where members are used to logging in with their username and may have forgotten to update their email.

Message will stay until they have answered. Upon choosing either option the message will disappear for the next X days.

Choosing "yes" takes you to the page for changing your email.
Choosing "no" just removes the message and takes you back to the page you were on.

Installation Please note: The uploaded file IS required. I could probarby have made it without, but I just share something I’ve developed earlier and decided to «flush out» a bit for the sake of sharing. For our forums it’s better with most of the logic in «normal files» and not in hook files. Notes / Usage

[*]Upload file changeEmailRequest.php to the folder admin/applications/forums/modules_public/extras/ in your forum root folder. [*]Go to AdminCP -> System tab -> Applications & Modules -> Hooks and press "Install hook" button. [*]With the file browser opened in your web browser, find dno_requestupdatemail34.xml file in this folder and upload it. [*]You’ll find the settings in System Settings -> DNO Hooks -> Update Your Mail Request. You need to turn on the hook from there.

You can configure this hook from Systems Tab -> System Settings -> DNO Hooks -> Update Your Mail Request. The hook will install a language pack in core named public_dnoupdatemail. NOTE: The language strings are NOT used unless it’s chosen in the settings. It will install the template bit «dnoRequestEmailUpdate» in template group «Global Templates» in your skins If you need to view the message again, for yourself, you can do so by going to index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=changeEmailRequest&reset at your board url

[url= here to download this file

Hope it works for you :)

I forgot to mention, but if you edit the message and have earlier clicked on either option, you can view the message again by going to the url index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=changeEmailRequest&reset at your board.

If it had been on this forum it would've been:

http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=changeEmailRequest&reset

bet this could also be useful for those who created accts using twitter/fb, edit it to say check email and usernames.

But the display name is pretty much visible all the time?

When someone registers with Twitter or Facebook, they are prompted to provide a display name at the start aren't they?

The button is just created with the class ipsButton_secondary, so if there is no button it's something the skin author have forgotten or they have decided not to style it.

Either way it should be quite easy for you to do some simple styling on your own. If you have some basic HTML and/or CSS knowledge.

You could just use the link text settings and then switch the main text setting to use #TEXT_YES# instead of #URL_YES_BUTTONTEXT#. I made a concious decision to include the options in two different ways by default, so it should be fairly easy to see how you could customize it yourself. Just see how it's done for the setting "Link text for 'No'-option" and see how that is included in the main text setting. Then you can just include the CSS-classes you want for yourself or add some simple styling with the style-attribute.

Remember that you can also style entire text variables just like it's done by default for the email address. You just have to make sure the entire text variable is covered with the editor styling or the button would break :smile:

Remember to use index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=changeEmailRequest&reset so you can review the message again if you've clicked it away earlier to ensure everything is in order.

I would by the way suggest, in the line that mentions notifications, to create a link to the notification settings, so members can more easily find the area.

• 6 months later...

In the "Ask member every x days" you say that it'll ask a member even tho they had updated the email at day 88 out of 90.

You could add a database field that adds a date when they last updated email and then make a checker that checks and compares that field with the current checking process.

So say member A updated their email at day 50, it gets added to the database field, then come day 90 it runs the checker, and finds that 40 days ago the member had updated their email, so it ignores member A till next time it's run as it'd then be 130 days since last update.

I don't really need a database field for it either, I can just update the value I already have. wink.png

I just haven't implemented it, due to the fact I'm busy with other tasks, so I haven't wanted to spend time chasing down which class or template I would have to extend and then actually write the code for it. And I don't think it's that big of a deal, personally.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, do you have access and the knowledge on how to check your PHP error logs? 

Blank pages sounds like some PHP error is thrown, but I need to know what exactly. 

I don't have a install with Facebook logins enabled at present but I'll try to set something up to check. 

I can't immediately think of any reason it would fail with facebook logins either :/ 

Edited by TSP

• 3 months later...

Hello i get this message :

Any help is appreciated.

​Unfortunately it seems to be an issue caused by another hook. You could try to rebuild your skin caches from Look & Feel > Look & Feel > Template Tools. Then run "Rebuild Master Skin Data for all apps and then Recache Skin Sets after.

Without further access I can't troubleshoot further and I've not seen this issue on any of the installations I manage. Unfortunately I'm also very busy this week.

​Unfortunately it seems to be an issue caused by another hook. You could try to rebuild your skin caches from Look & Feel > Look & Feel > Template Tools. Then run "Rebuild Master Skin Data for all apps and then Recache Skin Sets after.

Without further access I can't troubleshoot further and I've not seen this issue on any of the installations I manage. Unfortunately I'm also very busy this week.

​Thank you, the solution was to rebuild the cache on Skins.