Sitespeed is worse

Murmel

After changing from VBulletin to IPB I had a dramatical lose of my google ranking and lost about 90% of my users.

up to15.000 Visits/day 2013 VS up to 1600 Visits/day 2014.

I know, there are maybe a lot of websites who improve their ranking. But my one not. I still hope for the future.

I also checked also loadtimes and one easy thing is to just see how the general support forums are doing with google sitespeed.

http://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.invisionpower.com%2F&tab=desktop

http://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vbulletin.com%2Fforum%2F&tab=desktop

IPB is loosing two times against my old system :-(.

I also getting worse in the total numbers of listed sites in the index of google.

I like your system a lot but I am sorry, right now the facts are against yours.

One of those measures is server response time. Who know the server specs that Invision choose to use vs what vBulletin to decide? I'd imagine in your case that server response times would be the same.

The other measure is compression. I'm surprised that it's off here, but it IS a setting, and you can turn it on if you wish.

There are of course other factors that could influence visits per day, not just the forum software used.

I cannot comment on the rankings, but how did you lose 90% of your members?

Out of interest, how long was your vBulletin offline before your IP.Board came online? Is it on the same URL as before?

One of those measures is server response time. Who know the server specs that Invision choose to use vs what vBulletin to decide? I'd imagine in your case that server response times would be the same.

The other measure is compression. I'm surprised that it's off here, but it IS a setting, and you can turn it on if you wish.

There are of course other factors that could influence visits per day, not just the forum software used.

I cannot comment on the rankings, but how did you lose 90% of your members?

Out of interest, how long was your vBulletin offline before your IP.Board came online? Is it on the same URL as before?

I don't blame IPB too much for loosing my users. There are so many different things which influence this.

I think the forum was really good in SEO (I used VBSEO).

I was almost not offline. I run both systems for three days during migration and lost just the old postings for this three days.

I migrate to a seccond subdomain and switched the whole system in two minutes :-).

Yes I used the same domain (forum.mysite.com).

I never looked into SEO to much, because I think content is more important. How did I loose my users? I can't tell, but I see the numbers in analytics.

One guess is that the sitemap is much worse. But I also read that google doesn't care to much about the sitemap:

It can help, but it never can harm you.

I have now 3.000.000 postings but only about 14.000 in the google index (webmaster tools). I had much much more before in the index. Like 1.800.000.

I am running the side since almost 20 years now :-).

you mean 90% of traffic lost?

you were using VBSEO, so all your URL's have changed. so how can google bot remove all old URL's from google index and replace to new URLs and place them on google so soon? this can take bloody ages mate. this many,1,800,000 is a lot to ask so soon.

were all OLD VBSEO URLs redirecting properly to your NEW URL's?

i used vbulletin since 2005, i used VBSEO, redirect was up to sh*t because VBSEO has suddenly become everyones worst night mare since its now dead and gone. and SEO in URL's for IP.Boards improves alot for me.

i lost traffic as old URL's never redirected to new ones. but this never effected my sites ranking or PR. once google reindexed which takes ages, all comes good.

i did notice google only placed on search what they thought was important. hope you didnt get hit by some new google update.

how longs it been since the switch?

my sites better than ever since the change.

As far as CloudFlare here is my two cents.

I implemented it to help with loading the site faster and for DDOS protection - we are a gaming community and the most we get is script kiddies DOS'ing us, although it doesn't take us down it does cause slow loading speeds. CloudFlare has neutralised that for us so a big plus there.

The caching of images works great, a couple of days after implementation the Gallery page was loading in a second rather than the 5 it used to take. Another big plus.

I unlike most people posting here have not had downtime issues at all - the service has been constant. Medium plus.

Now. The problems I have had are issues uploading, people double posting, double shouting (shoutbox). Essentially something is up with the Javascript and it's not loading correctly. Sometimes it doesn't load at all. I have disabled all of their optimisation which helped but I still get double posting.

I will still use CloudFlare but will work on ironing out the issues - for what they give free or the $20pm subscription they are a great service. From comments here and around I do not think they are viable for larger websites.

Regards,

Like I said I hope for the future ....

As far as CloudFlare here is my two cents.

I implemented it to help with loading the site faster and for DDOS protection - we are a gaming community and the most we get is script kiddies DOS'ing us, although it doesn't take us down it does cause slow loading speeds. CloudFlare has neutralised that for us so a big plus there.

The caching of images works great, a couple of days after implementation the Gallery page was loading in a second rather than the 5 it used to take. Another big plus.

I unlike most people posting here have not had downtime issues at all - the service has been constant. Medium plus.

Now. The problems I have had are issues uploading, people double posting, double shouting (shoutbox). Essentially something is up with the Javascript and it's not loading correctly. Sometimes it doesn't load at all. I have disabled all of their optimisation which helped but I still get double posting.

I will still use CloudFlare but will work on ironing out the issues - for what they give free or the $20pm subscription they are a great service. From comments here and around I do not think they are viable for larger websites.

Regards,

I had the same issues as well when I had cloudflare a year ago. I stopped it because of the javascript issues.

A very good service, but you have to watch it.

I have a big server, so I don't care right now about cloudflare :-). Not with my few users.

It generally takes 6 months to a year in my experience for a site to "recover" from a switch to new software in search engine indexing. It hasn't even been 3 months in your case yet. I do assume, of course, that you are 301 redirecting the old URLs to the new URLs correctly, and that you have all SEO settings configured appropriately in your new install (feel free to post in the peer help forums if you are unsure what to set each setting to).

Archived