Developers who have not renewed licenses

Dylan Riggs

I decided to not renew my license until 4.0 hits and understand what's going on with it before I take the jump on keeping up with deving for IPS or not. That being said, I do not think it is right that developers cannot access their paid files to manage customers when they still have to provide support to them. Nor can you check to see who has/has not purchased your apps for verification and makes it much more difficult overall to simply verify. I might be the only case, but this specifically affects me since on one of my apps, I offer them the ability to upgrade to a more advanced version (IP.Content to an actual IPB app) by simply paying the price difference via PayPal and after reviewing each one, I add them to the list. I cannot do this now.

Maybe I am mistaken, but I had the links all book marked and I cannot access any of them since I have not renewed my license. Any chance this might be able to be changed or an alternate solution?

It's a little different then that. If you have files in the marketplace, especially paid ones, you are required to support your product. To take it a step further, members who are no longer with active licenses are still able to purchase and download from the marketplace. Why can't developers support their products fully but are able to purchase from the marketplace?

To take it even further then that. I'm certain without the contributions of the 3rd party skins, apps and hooks, IPB would not be as popular as it is.

Finally, I don't mind paying the licensing fees if I had a use to pay for the licensing fees. I do not use the support, and I do not see any justification to pay for 6+ more months of roughly $200+ for a dead end version with minimal updates till 4.0 comes out. There isn't going to be any nice features added to 3.4.x, just bug fixes and minor updates, but that is irrelevant to this thread and is a personal matter.

I am sympathetic, but let me play Devil's Advocate.

Granted, inVision take a commission on every sale, but you are reliant not just on their product for an income, you are also reliant on their services as a host for your mods, and a payment gateway. As a contributor you more than any type of customer they have, ought to keep licensed.

And what about your customers? Isn't it reasonable for them to expect you to keep your 'tools sharp' to deliver them the support they are paying for?

On the other hand, I say to Invision, perhaps you ought to deliver on something buried in this site about a certification scheme for contributors:

• Free developer license for all products (*for development purposes only, not to be used as an active community)
  • Free renewals on the developer licenses
  • Access to beta releases for all product

;)

I can see a reason to keep licensed currently, if there were plans to release something to require me to maintain my products a little more. If it was 3.3.4 to 3.4.2 for example, and a license renewal would be justfied. I will renew my license when I believe there is a need and a use to do so. My site that I have, is not an active one nor supports an active community, it is a side hobby that I use for the services I provide to clients and customers a like.

If IPS decided to say "Hey, every developer that has a single paid hook/app/skin on the marketplace that does not renew their license, will have their product removed from the marketplace" I'm sure some developers would not be happy. But you know who really wouldn't be happy? Every single customer who purchased the product. You will always have developers that turn around and not support their work because of what ever reason, from life, lazyness, loss of interest. But there are others like myself, who do not mind supporting their work despite not having an active license would also suffer.

I do have a license, for all the products, they are just not 'active' licenses that do not have some of the active benefits (support, and product downloads mostly) t here is a difference between the 2 (why you pay an upfront cost and then a renewal cost)

I'm sure you can see the irony in wanting to continue making money from the IPS marketplace while not spending any yourself? :smile:

I seen the irony, but if there was an issue with it, I would honestly just remove the files, but here's the issue - Developers cannot even manage the paid products to update, fix, manage or remove from the marketplace. That is what I'm griping about, you let us 'make money' while not allowing us to manage them in any way. If this was part of the scheme to keep us doing that, then so be it - It is what it is, it was just a suggestion :)

• 1 month later...

invisionpower should at least support topics in the report if the author of the topic can be answered in the topic, because in this case it would lose its function of support on "own clients".

please add into the marketplace rules this advice "if your license is expired, you can not access on your support topic"

So if we don't renew our license but continue to make sales you won't let us request payouts? >_>

No I just think the payouts will automaticly goto renewal fees. IPS isn't going to shoot themselves in the foot. Oh wait! They have.. The whole reason I make my mods is to pay for my renewals or if I amn strapped for cash at the moment.

Everyone concerned... please see this reply:

>

and then do as Brandon suggested. Logout, and and login again, then check to see if you have proper access.

If you do not have proper access after doing so, please alert Brandon, or us via a ticket to Customer Service, or an email sent directly to accounts@invisionpower.com and we'll fix it.

Thank you.

Archived