Mail Bouncer - Automated Bounce Management

• 2 months later...

Am now using this great app with gusto, however I think that if someone unsubscribes or even marks the email as spam, i.e. they get onto the rejection list locally then emails are not sent for anything else, such as password reminder, notifications and third party apps.

I appreciate that if the email is on mandrill's rejection list nothing will go, but sure these other emails should be sent even if the email is only the local rejection list?

Really we should only see admin newsletter emails blocked and not any other email, ideally this should also apply to the Mandrill held list.

Great app. Got it working in the end.
I had only setup SMTP to use Mandrill and not enabled the Mandrill Community Enhancement.
So I had a few minutes of problem seeking. smile.png

Setup not super-easy.
Maybe improve the PDF instructions a bit?

This part of the setup is part of the IP.Board > Mandrill integration, the app uses this after it is setup. However, there is a ticket system, please do feel free to use it if required.

How often does the Mandrill app send rejection list to IPB?

After a bit of testing only one member gets messages about needing to update email.

Data is sent after an email bounces, an easy way to trigger this is to send a bulk mail out, that will display messages rather quickly to those who have old email addresses.

Am now using this great app with gusto, however I think that if someone unsubscribes or even marks the email as spam, i.e. they get onto the rejection list locally then emails are not sent for anything else, such as password reminder, notifications and third party apps.

I appreciate that if the email is on mandrill's rejection list nothing will go, but sure these other emails should be sent even if the email is only the local rejection list?

Really we should only see admin newsletter emails blocked and not any other email, ideally this should also apply to the Mandrill held list.

This is already taken into account, if the email is triggered from the register / lost pass / email address change pages, it should not be blocked.

• 1 month later...

thumb-942544dbd8d7b33a7ad6d43546c790d5-m

File Name: Mandrill Bouncer

File Submitter: stoo2000

File Submitted: 08 Feb 2014

File Category: Integration

Supported Versions: IP.Board 3.3.x, IP.Board 3.4.x

Mandrill Bouncer is a fully automated app to handle email bounces and spam complaints.

• Hard Bounce
    If a hard bounce is detected, all email to that user will be instantly disabled, they'll see an inline message on every page and a modal form every 24 hours. The modal is designed to take the effort out of clicking links to get to the form and displays it right there, in front of the user. If a login maintenance URL is in use, the form will not be visible, the submit button will redirect to the maintenance URL.
  • Soft Bounce
    Soft bounces are counted over a number of days, if they exceed 1 bounce a warning message will be shown, if they exceed 4 bounces it will be converted to a 'hard bounce'
  • Spam
    Spam reports via Mandrill are when a user clicks on 'Spam' in AOL/Gmail/YahooMail etc, this user is blocked from having emails sent to them. The user is presented with a message on every page that tells them that they should update their email preferences instead of marking an email as spam. They are offered a chance to opt-in to emails again, once they opt-in the Mandrill side block is also removed. Removing 'Spam' users from the Mandrill reject list costs a small amount of reputation. To prevent a user exploiting this they are only allowed to opt-in once.
  • Reject
    Mandrill app will learn your existing reject list as emails are sent to them (this won't hurt your reputation), This allows the app to start telling users to update their email address right away.
This app is a zero-configuration app providing your Mandrill API Key setting is present. - See included PDF.

Requirements
  • You must use Mandrill Email Service
  • CURL
  • Ability to communicate with mandrill.com
Bugs
If you find any bugs in this product, please report them to our bug tracker.

Support
If you require any support for this product please create a Technical Support ticket in the Client Area. You must supply your IPS Community email address.

Click here to download this file

Is it easy to setup? How does the ACP Part look.

Is it easy to setup? How does the ACP Part look.

The ACP is fairly boring, It's really a self-managing app. You shouldn't need to do anything to it.

This is a screenshot of the page that lists bounces, there is another page that lists users that have reported your emails as spam. The tools page contains a tool to remove restrictions on an account.

post-9612-0-87226800-1414690074_thumb.pn

Providing that your forum is already configured to use Mandrill, the app will do the rest the first time you visit the ACP Dashboard after installing.

Since the Mandrill side has expiration dates to the blacklisted emails, rejected email cannot be found on the Mandrill page where it shows rejects (Settings > Rejection Lists), but shows in the Full reject list, which you have to download.

So, when a member has a full mailbox and does not wish to alter it, but empties the mailbox, how do we remove the email that works again (does not bounce), but still shows the message that the member has to alter his email before he can receive new ones?

Since the Mandrill side has expiration dates to the blacklisted emails, rejected email cannot be found on the Mandrill page where it shows rejects (Settings > Rejection Lists), but shows in the Full reject list, which you have to download.

So, when a member has a full mailbox and does not wish to alter it, but empties the mailbox, how do we remove the email that works again (does not bounce), but still shows the message that the member has to alter his email before he can receive new ones?

Sure, quite simple to clear any 'flags'

• ACP > Other Apps > Bouncer > Tools
  • Type username in the input (auto complete will give you suggestions)
  • Click 'reset'

That's it :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple "it would be nice..."

- I just had a user that donated to my site  - this updates their user group. He got a pop-up about his email address not working. He corrected his email but continued to get pop-up messages. I think the reset cleared this problem. Is there any way that a reset can be more automatic after a user has changed/corrected their email address?

- When search through several pages of Disabled Emails it would have been nice to do a search to see if the user was there. (I have over 83,400 members on my site)
So a search would be nice for larger sites.

Thanks for a great tool!

Any news about the update of this great app to IPS4?

​It'll be updated, not sure what other news you're after? :D

I have bought this.

Question:
I use mandrill already, i installed this app. Are there anything else to do? Do I need to setup mandrill bouncing or what? Mandrill has bouncing settings.

​Visit your ACP dashboard, you'll get a notice if you need to do anything, otherwise everything is automatically configured for you.

​It'll be updated, not sure what other news you're after? :D

​Visit your ACP dashboard, you'll get a notice if you need to do anything, otherwise everything is automatically configured for you.

​Yeah enchacements, i did that but i don't see any disabled mails or anything. I made a new account with wrong mail (3543653245t4gds@gmail.com) lol

hS0mEhk.png

Edited by Spendon Gavekort
  • 5 weeks later...

This is a great app, but may I make a suggestion that would make it even more killer?

Have the app move users who bounce and meet certain criteria (0 approved posts / Not logged in/active in X days) to another group for easy pruning.

My suggestion come from this: My user database is close to 12 years old.  I just sent out a holiday card to my entire user base.  Aside from spreading tidings of comfort and joy, I had ulterior motives.... it would be a great indicator of defunct users. 

This is a great app, but may I make a suggestion that would make it even more killer?

Have the app move users who bounce and meet certain criteria (0 approved posts / Not logged in/active in X days) to another group for easy pruning.

My suggestion come from this: My user database is close to 12 years old.  I just sent out a holiday card to my entire user base.  Aside from spreading tidings of comfort and joy, I had ulterior motives.... it would be a great indicator of defunct users. 

​nice suggestion!

Is Mandrill Bouncer still available? When i click on the button to 'add to cart' its not adding?  I have purchased hooks before with no problems?

​Hi Robert,

It is, I've submitted a ticket to IPS to see what the issue is.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Stuart

​I'll have a think about it.

Hello. I just set this up and I was wondering if there is a bounce will mandrill side still record it as a bounce? If so, is there a way to avoid mandrill from recording it? We want to send out a newsletter to our community of 9k or so users using the built in email blast feature without messing up our mandrill rating since we have a new mandrill account. 

Hello. I just set this up and I was wondering if there is a bounce will mandrill side still record it as a bounce? If so, is there a way to avoid mandrill from recording it? We want to send out a newsletter to our community of 9k or so users using the built in email blast feature without messing up our mandrill rating since we have a new mandrill account. 

​You probably don't want to use Mandrill for that then, but you'll want to record each and every bounce you get back and disable those accounts from sending.