Jump to content

Community

Mail Bouncer - Automated Bounce Management


stoo2000

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, stoo2000 said:

This was resolved via ticket and last weeks application update.

I have a improvement on the roadmap for the near future to improve the handling of warnings, and to automatically remove them in a timely manner if no more bounces occur.

 

On that roadmap can you put a spot to move users into a different user group? That would be extremely helpful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, CheersnGears said:

On that roadmap can you put a spot to move users into a different user group? That would be extremely helpful.

Could you explain how/why this would be useful? bear in mind that the working intention is that the user is presented with an email change screen if they're fully blocked and cannot access the community until they change their email address.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, stoo2000 said:

Could you explain how/why this would be useful? bear in mind that the working intention is that the user is presented with an email change screen if they're fully blocked and cannot access the community until they change their email address.

That assumes they want to come back and update. I may not want to fully block, but instead want to just restrict from certain areas.  Doing so leaves them the ability to PM an admin if they're having e-mail troubles (yahoo and aol frequently block).   If they marked an email as spam, that should move them into a different group entirely. 

It also gives me the ability to do cleanup.  If they bounce and get moved into that group, I can do a filter to see if they have any content items.  If their content count is zero and the account is over a year old,  then I would just delete the account entirely.  I send birthday and holiday emails not because I'm particularly jolly, but because I want to see if the email addresses are valid.   Having bounced users moved into a group helps me keep the user database tidy.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, CheersnGears said:

That assumes they want to come back and update. I may not want to fully block, but instead want to just restrict from certain areas.  Doing so leaves them the ability to PM an admin if they're having e-mail troubles (yahoo and aol frequently block).   If they marked an email as spam, that should move them into a different group entirely. 

It also gives me the ability to do cleanup.  If they bounce and get moved into that group, I can do a filter to see if they have any content items.  If their content count is zero and the account is over a year old,  then I would just delete the account entirely.  I send birthday and holiday emails not because I'm particularly jolly, but because I want to see if the email addresses are valid.   Having bounced users moved into a group helps me keep the user database tidy.  

Validating users are permitted to use the contact form, which would be a way of contact.

"Spam" markers are already treated differently. They're educated that they can select which emails they receive and have the option to opt-in to emails once more. Should a second spam report arise, they have emails blocked and no further option to opt-in.

I would like to implement some extra options on to the member search, the data you're really wanting to sort/search on is already there (it's used in the bulk email filters already). Unfortunately at this time, it's not particularly easy to implement into that area. I have put a suggestion forwards to implement the MemberFilter system into the AdminCP member search/management tools. If it's included at any point I will move to support that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/20/2017 at 6:55 PM, cybernck said:

What's the latest on Amazon SES?

P.S. None of the links on the file download page work (and indeed the first post here).

I would also be interested in knowing the latest with Amazon SES. 

I am having an issue where this message will not turn off even after updating the email address and clicking the email link. The user also does not show up on the lists when I search within mailbouncer.

Emails that we send to you are being returned to us. If our emails continue to bounce, we will stop sending emails to you and require you to update your email address.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/28/2017 at 8:17 AM, AlexWebsites said:

I would also be interested in knowing the latest with Amazon SES. 

I am having an issue where this message will not turn off even after updating the email address and clicking the email link. The user also does not show up on the lists when I search within mailbouncer.

Emails that we send to you are being returned to us. If our emails continue to bounce, we will stop sending emails to you and require you to update your email address.

The message is on still and the member does not come up in the lists. The email has been changes as well. Very odd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:35 AM, misfit76 said:

So, is there a way to remove from Warned list?  I do not see "Unblock" button on that page for any of the users.  

Thanks!

Not at this time, as noted above I will be implementing some new logic to automatically remove the message if the bounces stop before they're at a 'hard block' level.

 

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:55 PM, cybernck said:

What's the latest on Amazon SES?

P.S. None of the links on the file download page work (and indeed the first post here).

The links have been updated, sorry. Amazon SES should still be coming at some point in the future. It requires a more complex set up than the existing platforms (need to set up and configure SQS etc).

 

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:17 PM, AlexWebsites said:

I would also be interested in knowing the latest with Amazon SES. 

I am having an issue where this message will not turn off even after updating the email address and clicking the email link. The user also does not show up on the lists when I search within mailbouncer.

Emails that we send to you are being returned to us. If our emails continue to bounce, we will stop sending emails to you and require you to update your email address.

Please submit a ticket if you're having an issue. https://ipb.silvesterwebdesigns.com/support 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, AlexWebsites said:

The message is on still and the member does not come up in the lists. The email has been changes as well. Very odd.

This happened to me on my administrator account.  I eventually cleared the message by going into the MySQL database and manually editing the table to not require email change.  Stoo can provide the instructions.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Stuart -

Two things: first, when I try to sort the statistics lists it always sorts by Member Name, regardless of which column I click on. Sorting by Disabled date would be very handy in diagnosing issues. Second, and the reason this comes up, is that from time to time one of SendGrid's IP addresses ends up on some sort of spam blacklist. It typically gets resolved within a couple of days, but any member whose email provider uses those blacklists and gets enough mail from us cannot log in anymore without changing their email address. I wonder if there is a way of catching that particular type of bounce and giving them a separate message (and still allowing them to log in). As an alternative, would you be willing to add a setting (either via the interface or something more deeply hidden) that doesn't outright require an email address change in these cases? I can support such a development financially if necessary.

Chris Hennes, eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2017 at 9:41 AM, Joel R said:

This happened to me on my administrator account.  I eventually cleared the message by going into the MySQL database and manually editing the table to not require email change.  Stoo can provide the instructions.  

Interestingly enough it cleared on its own after I changed the email and then changed it back. The message remained but maybe when sparkpost sent data it cleared? Not sure.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:58 PM, AlexWebsites said:

What happens if you uninstall this app? Do the users that are still validating stay in that group? Do all the messages disappear? IPS is moving away from sparkpost native support and that leaves only sendgrid and mandrill is mailchimp or something. Can you continue using sparkpost if it will be removed as an option?

Validating users will still have the flag assigned to them, but it'll be removed when they change their email address. SparkPost should still be supported (in this app), since you can still use their SMTP method to send emails. Personally, I would recommend SendGrid at this time.

9 minutes ago, PacmanDo said:

It says "Update available" and I can't find it nor can I renew. Why?

It looks like your invoice expired long ago, You will need to submit a ticket to IPS and ask them to regenerate your renewal invoice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

 

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:45 AM, Unlucky said:

Would it be possible to add support for smtp.com ?

You may be better to contact me privately about doing this as a custom addon, I haven't had any demand for it. It doesn't really make sense to implement for one user, sorry.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:40 PM, sobrenome said:

Will it support SparkPost on 4.3?

Yep, it should do. It'll automatically detect if your SMTP settings are configured for SparkPost (I will test before 4.3 is released and push an update if I need to).

5 hours ago, CheersnGears said:

Is there anything I need do when switching from Sparkpost to SendGrid?

Nope, it'll automatically detect the change and set up the SendGrid API. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:00 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

I've ran into an email where a member clicked spam and the account did not update. What do you need for information to handle bugs?

I will need you to open a support ticket, since I may need to gain access to your email platform.

10 minutes ago, knightsystems said:

HI @stoo2000

is it safe to upgrade to 4.3 with Mail Bouncer 3.1.3 installed? (is it compatible?)

There are no known issues with using the current version with 4.3. As always, if you have any issues please open a support ticket and I'll look into them.

 

Support
If you require any support for this product please create a Technical Support ticket in the Client Area. You will need to register an account if you do not already have one. You must supply your IPS Community email address.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Hi, considering your app can put a Validating flag on users (which stock IPS can't do now-days), would it be possible to use it manually rather than integrated with SendGrid etc?

What I mean is that I've recently sent out a newsletter to my users and about 1000 email addresses no longer seem to be valid (a whopping 18% of all email addresses!).

Naturally, I'd like to put these users back to Validation - would you application be able to do it going by a list? Or would you be able to code something like that for me?

Or can it integrate with cPanel email log perhaps? ?

Many thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use technologies, such as cookies, to customise content and advertising, to provide social media features and to analyse traffic to the site. We also share information about your use of our site with our trusted social media, advertising and analytics partners. See more about cookies and our Privacy Policy