System Settings - Change Request | IPS 4.0

ZakRhyno

One of the problems in the system settings I have had is had is when I install an addon I get it confused of where each on is and have problems sometimes finding other ones because where I would think they are at hey are not. Are they are under a tab I didn't think they were under. Maybe a different interface or sub-menu where addon that would separated the basic system setting from addon system settings.

Capture.JPG

This is really something 3rd party related.

The 3rd party developer puts the settings where they want them to go... If they want to create a new tab, they can... If they want to put them under an existing tab, they can.

The system is already extensible to what you're after, it's just an issue of the 3rd party dev not putting the settings where you would expect to find them..

Something you should probably take up with the mod author...

This is really something 3rd party related.

The 3rd party developer puts the settings where they want them to go... If they want to create a new tab, they can... If they want to put them under an existing tab, they can.

The system is already extensible to what you're after, it's just an issue of the 3rd party dev not putting the settings where you would expect to find them..

Something you should probably take up with the mod author...

You misunderstand it better to allow modders to do this yes I agree, but it all should be put in a default place so that it separated from the IPS stuff and not mix in with it. Meaning IPS won't allow it to be mix in thus the mods can do what they want yes. But still keeps things separated to allow for less confusing.

The best way to find the hook setting is exacly on Manage Hooks page. You got the settings when you click on the right menu.

attachicon.gifCapturar.PNG

True, yes, but setting the system up so that it don't mix in with everything IPS, helps to know what is what and not be confuse with it all being mix together.

Think of this from a newb standpoint... If you're new to IP.Board and you're looking for settings, would you rather have one page with all of the settings available to you or 15 different pages, one for each app, and have to bounce around all over the place?

Having tabs like is done does keep thing centralized. I wouldn't want a setting page that doesn't show me all of the settings. At a minimum settings not listed on that page would need a link to the settings page.

Sacrificing usability for further segregation, settings on their own pages rather than tabs, than exists doesn't seem like a step forward to me.

Maybe I'm still mis-understanding what you're getting at.

Think of this from a newb standpoint... If you're new to IP.Board and you're looking for settings, would you rather have one page with all of the settings available to you or 15 different pages, one for each app, and have to bounce around all over the place?

Having tabs like is done does keep thing centralized. I wouldn't want a setting page that doesn't show me all of the settings. At a minimum settings not listed on that page would need a link to the settings page.

Sacrificing usability for further segregation, settings on their own pages rather than tabs, than exists doesn't seem like a step forward to me.

Maybe I'm still mis-understanding what you're getting at.

True, but having the confusing of if it's a mod or ifs its IPS, something needs to point out the different if different sub menus don't work maybe something else can be done to address the problem. Think of it also like this if I add more mods or something there be so many tabs it makes another problems. Surely IPS can think of something to address the issue. Maybe a small icon in the listing to show it's a mod add on and not IPS. Something to ID it's not IPS and can clean it up some. But still leave it to the mods to do what they do. Surely you see the issue I'm trying to get at.

The way settings are handled in 4.0 are totally and completely different than how they are in 3.x.

We know that. lol, I'm saying that something should be done to address this issue. Hope you understand what I'm talking about tho and what I'm saying. I'm asking to do something about it not tell me how you change it.

We know that. lol, I'm saying that something should be done to address this issue. Hope you understand what I'm talking about tho and what I'm saying. I'm asking to do something about it not tell me how you change it.

And Charles is saying that we agree and have done so :)

Archived