Critical updates - forum/RSS/maillinglist, anything?

bizkitt

Maybe it is somewhere there, but I can't find it (well hidden then! :D).
I am missing the security/critical updates information. Only them, for product I use, not every IPS product.

Yes, I know they are in the ACP, but like many members I do not log everyday.
Yes, I know I can follow (done!) the Welcome to IPS → News and Information subforum but then I am "spammed" with 4.0, promotions, ZendCon, etc and also I get notification for products I am not using (IP.Gallery for example).

I'd like to put it (RSS/mail?) into my *IMPORTANT* label if it is a security/critical update.
Somekind of 'security' RSS per product? Maillist? Specific subforum which I can follow or even a topic (for each product) which will get updates - the same like News and Information subforum but only for important things?

In this case, only if you could follow individual tags in individual forums. Simply using tags would not resolve the concern he presented.

Note that security releases are also posted on our Twitter account.

Yes, it would help. If I see thousand topics of IPS 4, security, releases, etc. and wants to see only topics from security, then I click on security tag... but yes, per forum would be awesome.

About twitter, no... We're here. I don't think we need to go somewhere else to get some information. :smile:

• Management

Security announcements are made:

• On our forums here
  • In the news feed in your AdminCP
  • In the AdminCP big-red-box bulletin message
  • Twitter
  • Mass-email to anyone with an active license from secure@invisionpower.com

Short of a carrier pigeon I'm not sure how else we can get the word out :)

We always email out security notices. They come from secure@invisionpower.com.

That could be the "fine" way for me, however I was listed as alternate contact until few days ago and didn't get anything. Lets see how it look after licence transfer :smile:

The notices sent out could include md5checks of the patched files, and the AdminCP could see if they've been patched that way. Just to throw a random idea out there off the top of my head.

It wouldn't involve your server actually sending any information out, just cross referencing the md5sum sent with the notice to a local file on your system. So privacy and the sort shouldn't be of concern.

Archived