Future Versions of IP Chat to have Proxy Support

Hawkesburycouple

Our present web host requires PROXY SUPPORT for 3rd party outgoing connections (IP Chat Server).

Our chat room is continually going down due to this problem which results in us submitting support tickets which then result in Invision informing us that our web host is blocking the connection between our chat room and their server. We then forward Invisions reply to our web host who replies saying for various reasons they do not permit 3rd party outgoing connections and give us the details for using a proxy. We are then informed by Invision that IP Chat does not have proxy support and make certain suggestions which then again forward back to our web host and we end up just going in circles with us being the go-between, between Invision and our web host while the whole time the Chat Room is not working with our members complaining to us with some getting fed up with it leaving. In the mean time we are paying for something that does not work.

We would be truly thankful to see this problem fixed and we are sure if we are having this problem others would having the same problem as well.

There are two solutions here.

1) Create feedback topic as you've done and hope IPS development adds such support.

Or, the immediate solution that will resolve all concerns.

2) Find a new host that doesn't impose this restriction.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. Unfortunately, IP.Chat needs to connect to our gateway server to start a chat session for the user, and then again when they are actually chatting; there's no getting around the fact that IP.Chat will need to connect to a remote server. This won't change in IPS4 either I'm afraid.

Perhaps your host could add an exception for the servers IP.Chat needs to connect to? Our support team can provide those addresses if it is helpful.

Psh, you say that like I'm old or something.

To be honest, it's probably mostly still popular with Linux users and other techies. But my active forum users all love it :tongue:

Of course, I always recommend my users get a dedicated IRC client like Hexchat over using the web client all the time, but I still quite like Iris for what it is. Far better than the crappy Java applet based IRC clients out there at least! >_<

I thought about writing up a small app and setting up my own small IRC network for IP.Board users to use not too long ago. I still might look into that idea. :tongue:

I've always wanted a general IRC channel for IP.Board too. IRC is wondrous for developers especially.

Well, I think the problem is the niche for it is small. Most people want easy (i.e. don't have to figure ANYTHING out)...and they want eye candy, ultra clean interface, fluid, intuitive. IRC like you said is probably liked most by Kiritos...I mean...Linux users and other techies! :tongue:

I used it extensively many years ago but having been on it in a longgggg time. So I'm as old or older than you are...I'm just up with current times man!!! haha j/k

But that's what I mean. Most of my forum users have never had a problem using Iris, even the non-techies. Even if it does maybe look a little 1998, it's still pretty easy and straightforward to use.

Once you set it up, the only thing a user has to do is enter in their nick and hit connect. (I actually use IP.Content to automatically fill in the nick field too)

I also personally think it's quite aesthetic. But I guess that's just my opinion. >_<

Guys, this discussion of Iris is fascinating and all, but really has nothing to do with the original feedback post from the user. ;) I would encourage you to move the discussion to a new topic (or I can split the posts out if you want me to - just let me know).

Archived