ibEconomy Raffle System

wohali

%7Boption%7D

File Name: ibEconomy Raffle System

File Submitter: wohali

File Submitted: 20 Dec 2013

File Category: User and Social Engagement

Supported Versions: IP.Board 3.4.x

Install this to add a real, classic Raffle system to ibEconomy. Forum members can spend their ibEconomy points to buy raffle tickets. A raffle drum shop item is used to end the auction, usually by an administrator. A PM is sent to all participants showing who won each item.

This was designed to manage raffles of "real-world" items, not ibEconomy store items. If you want to award ibEconomy store items, you must do so manually via ACP > Other Apps > ibEconomy > Send Items after the raffle winners are chosen.

here to download this file

• 2 weeks later...

Seconded

Its not obvious how this should work. When using the raffle drum, I receive the error CANT_SEND_TO_SELF

despite having all permission set on.

However, it sends a PM message out still - so kind of works

This is exactly what happens to me. Sends PM's but I get that error. Also are the members who win suppose to automatically be awarded the items they win. Currently they are not awarded anything.

Any help with this ?

What exactly do this modification? Demo please?

Basically you can raffle off shop items to your members. Members can buy raffle tickets which is a shop item and then the administrator uses the raffle drum to award the raffle, multiple shop items can be given away, says 1 per line.

But as it sits there is an error with this, members will be noticed about winning, but they will not receive any of the shop items they've won, also at the same time you'll get an error when you run the raffle drum. Really not sure why the author is not visiting this thread, the author says not to PM for support under the market place, but they have not replied to this thread at all. I may send them a tip, perhaps they don't know this thread exists or is not subscribed to it.

Hi folks, sorry for the delay - my first time uploading a file and I forgot to follow my own support topic :sad: Please forgive me! I am now subscribed!

Now to your questions:

When using the raffle drum, I receive the error CANT_SEND_TO_SELF

despite having all permission set on.

However, it sends a PM message out still - so kind of works

From the README.HTML in the plugin download:

The PM is sent by the default PM Sender for ibEconomy, which is set under ACP > System > System Settings > ibEconomy tab > ibEconomy Shop, so be sure this setting is accurate for your installation before ending a raffle!

Check your default user that sends mail. If that's you, it won't send the PM correctly to you - because IP.Board does not allow PMs from yourself to yourself. I recommend creating an "ibEconomy" or "admin" user that you use to send the notice. Eric (ibEconomy author) asked IP to fix this but never got any traction. Search around here, there's a thread from a couple of years ago where he asks for help - this is the official workaround from ibEconomy.

Also are the members who win suppose to automatically be awarded the items they win. Currently they are not awarded anything.

Any help with this ?

Except for the error message (see above), your summary is accurate. This does not reward ibEconomy items at this time - it just tells everyone involved who won, and what they won.

I coded this to manage running raffles where you buy tickets with ibEconomy currency, but can win real-world items (store gift cards, hardware gifts, signed framed pictures, etc.) I didn't set it up to award in-store ibEconomy items, which I find a bit worthless I'm afraid :sad: and frustrating. Yes, I know you could set up one shop item per real world item but then it's just a forum badge, it can live forever, and that's not really something we want on our site given how often we run raffles.

If optionally awarding ibEconomy store items you make is a feature enough people want, I'll look into making that happen.

There is also one known bug right now: if you run multiple raffles at the same time, whenever you end any raffle, it ends all of them. I'll have this fixed shortly.

Finally if anyone has a better idea how to document this plugin, I'm happy to change the documentation. I don't have the ability to put up a demo of the raffle, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/15/2015 at 4:21 PM, wohali said:

I haven't abandoned this, but without ibEconomy in 4.x there's not a lot I can do. I'll take a look at doing a lottery system in iCredits but I don't know how straightforward it will be.

Could you make it so that it works with Points Economy?

• 2 months later...

For a raffle system to work the way I want it, we need:

1. A way for people to buy raffle tickets
  2. A way for raffle runners to "call" the raffle (i.e., draw winners for the prizes to be awarded)

Previously I used the ibEconomy "store" to provide both of these things. Anyone could buy a ticket using points they had on the website (and, ibEconomy provided a number of ways to get points, from simply participating on the website to Nexus integration to buy points with cash). I also used the store to provide admins with a way to "call" the raffle using a unique item that, when "used," would provide that functionality.

With 4.x, there currently is a Points Economy system from Kevin Carwile that provides a basic points system for websites. The problem is that it has no storefront functionality - just points, and integration with his Automation Rules system to allow you the ability to define ways to award points based on trigger conditions from the website. It provides only half of what ibEconomy did, and for that half to function well, you have to buy the Automation Rules functionality (since he only offers 10 rules in the free/demo version.)

For me to code up a raffle system that works with the Points Economy system, I effectively have to code my own store...which is more work than I'm keen to sign up for right now. I'm considering it, but so far inertia has won.

For me to code up a raffle system that works without Points Economy, I have to build the entire infrastructure to handle how tickets are purchased, etc. and I'm not interested in that at all.

Fair enough - I wish I knew more about this stuff as I would gladly take it on, but I don't.  I'm already set up with Points/Commerce and Automation rules.  I like the ability to really fine tune conditions for points to be awarded.

My site is small enough right now that I can run an automated draw based on entries, but it would be static and not on the site, just using information from the site.  It's too bad though as something integrated and interactive would draw a crowd.

I suppose if someone updated the ibEconomy I could ditch the current Points Economy and hopefully be able to create conditions using Rules to distribute points based off of commerce purchases.

I'm willing to pay for custom applications as well so keep that in mind if you're looking for motivation.  PM me if you want to discuss this further.